2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bolded, probably why the NRL hasn’t tried it.

On the rest of the post.

I believe you’re missing my point, it’s supposed to be a NATIONAL competition, but those running it and 40% of its fans do everything in its power to keep the power and advantages to one state, to the detriment of the rest of the teams. But then you go and whinge when a non Victorian team benefits from something you don’t.

40% of it's fans?

Try again.

In terms of membership numbers Victorian fans make up 63% of paid up fans in the comp. (that's excluding the MCC, which has 103,000 members, which would make up 10% of the total membership number in the AFL and make the 63% over 70%)

55% of the competition is Victorian clubs.......

Technically Fitzroy should be back based on where the pure number of fans are located.

Do a few thousand fans in Western Sydney deserve a football side over a few hundred thousand fans in Tasmania? No, which im glad the AFL has come to their senses on. The same could be said for GC or even Brisbane vs Fitzroy if we are talking honestly.

Last edited:
40% of it's fans?

Try again.

In terms of membership numbers Victorian fans make up 63% of paid up fans in the comp. (that's excluding the MCC, which has 103,000 members, which would make up 10% of the total membership number in the AFL and make the 63% over 70%)

55% of the competition is Victorian clubs.......

Technically Fitzroy should be back.
How many of those clubs would survive without funding from the AFL, or the bare minimum funding the least funded clubs get($12.5m)?

It had to do with both. Organisations like Fitzroy were costing the league money. They also realised that expanding the league could make more money so a win win. The GC expansion I sort of understand due to the population increasing and projected growth. The GWS decision confused as Swans were already 30 years established. NRL and soccer is clearly the main market. The reason you haven’t seen a second nrl team in Melbourne is who would support it. Storm have been in the league for so long and so dominant similar to Swans in Sydney.

It had to do with both. Organisations like Fitzroy were costing the league money. They also realised that expanding the league could make more money so a win win. The GC expansion I sort of understand due to the population increasing and projected growth. The GWS decision confused as Swans were already 30 years established. NRL and soccer is clearly the main market. The reason you haven’t seen a second nrl team in Melbourne is who would support it. Storm have been in the league for so long and so dominant similar to Swans in Sydney.

GC and GWS have cost the league more in the last 5 years than Fitzroy did in the previous 100 years.

GC and GWS have cost the league more in the last 5 years than Fitzroy did in the previous 100 years.
Yes they do.

But the VFL didn't have anything like the current media deals in place. That's the whole reason why the VFL decided to expand the league, because no media companies were willing to pay the VFL enough cash to keep all their current clubs afloat, for just a State based competition. It was go National or die a slow death.

So, while GC and GWS cost the league a shed load of money, they generate far more income via the current media rights deal.

Yes they do.

But the VFL didn't have anything like the current media deals in place. That's the whole reason why the VFL decided to expand the league, because no media companies were willing to pay the VFL enough cash to keep all their current clubs afloat, for just a State based competition. It was go National or die a slow death.

So, while GC and GWS cost the league a shed load of money, they generate far more income via the current media rights deal.

You are talking about a world pre pay TV.

Yes I am. The VFL would never have seen pay TV if it didn't expand.

None of this is new. There's been so much written about it over the 30 years.
Yeah but you do realise when pay tv started in Australia. I don’t understand why you feel Fitzroy was hard done by when in the climate of the 90s they were struggling and AFL didn’t have funds they have today to support them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah me too mate. Hope MM can pull off some sort of trade to get pick 1. Very unlikely but we can dream
I wouldn’t doubt the old bull MM! We all know he doesn’t mind causing a bit of chaos and stirring the pot on draft day. It’s about time he comes out of his shell and does a few things to get a Few young gems into the club.
Yeah me too mate. Hope MM can pull off some sort of trade to get pick 1. Very unlikely but we can dream

Yeah but you do realise when pay tv started in Australia. I don’t understand why you feel Fitzroy was hard done by when in the climate of the 90s they were struggling and AFL didn’t have funds they have today to support them.
That's why the VFL wouldn't have survived if it didn't expand and make itself attractive enough to achieve a National level media type deal.

I haven't said anything about Fitzroy being hard done by. That was way before my time.

I still reckon he is Top 25 - is it only the FoxFooty article and list which also had errors in it anyway that didn't have Delean?

Yeah also didn't see him in the 2 page newspaper spread that went up - think it was in the HS

2023 AFL U18 All-Australian Team named.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back