Game Day 2023 AFL Draft Live discussion Rd1, 2-4 and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck to Jeka, but he has the feel of being a Crameri mkII
He might not make it, but gee that's gotta be one of the worst comparisons you could come up with.

Crameri was 30+, shot to bits physically, and carrying weight due to being out with a hip injury for 12 months. Very good player at his best, but we got him years too late.

Jeka is closer to Sam Weiderman or Josh Shache. Appears to have all the talent in the world, but can't quite seem to put it all together for some reason or another.

So this is our breakdown post draft, of players in their respective positions:

KPD (196cm+): SDK, Blics, O'Sullivan, Jeka, Foster

Medium Defender (189cm+): T. Stewart, J. Henry, O'Connor, G. Stevens, Murdoch

Small Defender: Tuohy, Bews, Zuthrie, Mullin

Inside Midfielder: Danger, Bruhn, Blics, J. Clark, C. Guthrie, T. Atkins, Parfitt, Hardie, G. Stevens, T. Clohesy, Willis, Knevitt

Winger/Outside Midfielder: Blics, Holmes, Tuohy, Bowes, Knevitt, Mannagh, Duncan, Dempsey, Humphries

Ruck: Conway, Stanley, Blics, M. Edwards, Furphy

KPF (196cm+): J. Cameron, Hawkins, S. Neale, O'Sullivan, Jeka, Foster

Medium Forward (189cm+): Danger, Rohan, O. Henry, Wiltshire

Small Forward: Close, Miers, Dempsey, Stengle, Mannagh
Could actually put Jeka as a Key Forward... was a key forward for much of his career

Ahhhh
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

😎😎😎

He might not make it, but gee that's gotta be one of the worst comparisons you could come up with.

Crameri was 30+, shot to bits physically, and carrying weight due to being out with a hip injury for 12 months. Very good player at his best, but we got him years too late.

Jeka is closer to Sam Weiderman or Josh Shache. Appears to have all the talent in the world, but can't quite seem to put it all together for some reason or another.
* me, I actually forgot Stewart Crameri ever played for us

No mature ruck is an interesting call. Clearly we think Conway is ready if needed and we're happy with him and Stanley competing for the number 1 spot. I guess if those 2 aren't fit we'll play Blicavs as number 1. After that it's Neale/Furphy/Edwards/SDK. I'd back SDK out of that lot but then the defence is an issue. Ideally we just don't get injuries...

Nope, all filled now! MSD isn't that important anyway, as there's always some LTI if you really want to take someone in that intake.

Pleasure :)

So you and others can see it - and because I just put the little one down and am killing time -, here's all 44 players and their numbers (also my guess at jumper numbers for the new recruits):

1. Rhy Stanley
2. Zach Tuohy
3. Brandan Parfitt
4. Tanner Bruhn
5. Jeremy Cameron
6. Toby Conway
7. Shaun Mannagh
8. Jake Kolodjashnij
9. Max Holmes
10. Mitch Knevitt
11. George Stevens
12. Jack Bowes
13. Jhye Clark
14. Connor O'Sullivan
15. Mitch Edwards
16. Sam De Koning
17. Oli Wiltshire
18. Tyson Stengle
19. Phoenix Foster
20. James Willis
21. Lawson Humphries
22. Mitch Duncan
23. Gary Rohan
24. Jed Bews
25. Joe Furphy
26. Tom Hawkins
27. Emerson Jeka
28. Ollie Dempsey
29. Cam Guthrie
30. Tom Atkins
31. Oscar Murdoch
32. Gryan Miers
33. Shannon Neale
34. Oisin Mullin
35. Patrick Dangerfield
36. Ollie Henry
37. N/A
38. Jack Henry
39. Zach Guthrie
40. Ted Clohesy
41. Mitch Hardie
42. Mark O'Connor
43. N/A
44. Tom Stewart
45. Brad Close
46. Mark Blicavs

44/44 players listed - no free list spots. New recruits bolded and underlined - 8 in total :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been focused much on the draft this year. O'Sullivan looks a likely sort but the rest of them look a bit speculative. The VFL guy looks good at VFL level but who knows if he has what it takes at AFL level. I looked at their video highlights and no one really jumped out. Sav is done and dusted but I remember being blown away seeing his highlights real when we drafted him. I hope some of these new guys are diamonds in the rough. We'll see.

I wouldn't be against us trying Willis as a small defender in the VFL
I pretty much agree with all of this, except Bews dropping out.

He had an injury affected 2023, but he is not that old (he will play all of 2024 as age 30) and his 2022 was great. I feel like reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I also think that if Blicavs is actually replaceable (which is highly doubtful) then COS might be the guy. Medium term, Max Holmes could be the Aldi-version replacement for Danger.
I think if Bews can shed several Kgs he could get back to the valuable player he was.

What we are crying out for is speed. We have a lot of plodders on our list. However it doesn't look like that's an outcome of this draft.
Is Why I'm a little surprised we didn't redraft or keep Kroeger for a 1 yearie. He is ultra quick and powerful, and finally over injuries.

Spoke to my friend Brielfy who works at the club... I asked about who they were after with their first pick, the answer was Daniel Curtain, but adelaide trumped us.. Our next target we rated highly and were very happy with was COS. Had no interest in caddy so happily took the deal without fuss from essendon.

Asked also who do you think will come on next season and he said i will let you know in 3-4 weeks time once they get a look at them on the track.. But atm his early horse he is backing is knevitt.

I haven't been focused much on the draft this year. O'Sullivan looks a likely sort but the rest of them look a bit speculative. The VFL guy looks good at VFL level but who knows if he has what it takes at AFL level. I looked at their video highlights and no one really jumped out. Sav is done and dusted but I remember being blown away seeing his highlights real when we drafted him. I hope some of these new guys are diamonds in the rough. We'll see.
......Then you're just looking for a reason to be annoyed, yet again.

"Hey, I may know nothing about these players...but here's why I don't rate them. Everybody else who seems happy enough, including draft experts who rate our haul very highly, feel free to carry on"

I don’t know what happens at other clubs, but I saw most, if not all of your draftees at a pub tonight. Thought it was really cool that they all gathered together outside of the club and got to know eachother.

O’Sullivan is a huge kid, he is skinny but he doesn’t look small. He looks like he could go round 1.
Kolo on notice then!

How does everyone rate our draft. I would give it a B+ or A-.

Love the 1st two picks. I though we went Mannagh a bit to early but have come around to the idea.

I really wanted Lual as a lock down small defender and Roberts who I really rate. I would have traded in to grab one. Other than that a good draft.

They all seem like absolute quality people as well. 👌

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back