2023 AFL DRAFT - National Draft completed, PSD & Rookie Draft Wednesday @ 3pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given where clubs had their picks, thought Dockers, Dogs, Crows, Cats, WC, did very well
Yeah have to say I really liked Freo’s picks in terms of quality and addressing their areas of need. Simpson could be one of the best value picks of the draft if he stays fit, and Murphy was a massive slider

Yeah have to say I really liked Freo’s picks in terms of quality and addressing their areas of need. Simpson could be one of the best value picks of the draft if he stays fit, and Murphy was a massive slider

I really wanted 2 players at our picks, Charlie Edwards and Simpson

Edwards was gone, and we chose not to go with Simpson, who I think is criminally underrated

I would have also been very happy taking a tall in Murphy, despite needing time to develop

Didn't rate Delean in the first 2 rounds, but a very good pick up late

Think the Dockers should be very happy with the talent they have acquired

In review the draft shows how utterly pointless picks 13-55 really were in terms of difference.

Id have taken Murphy ahead of Dawson for example and one went at 21 and the other 41. I would have taken Edwards ahead of Goad and one went at 20 and the other 30 odd. For this reason I feel the teams who were in that 25-50 range are the teams who did the best value wise

From the draft id say 3 clear winners were Geelong, St Kilda and Fremantle. All got great value for what they had.

For Eagles Im just okay with it. Got the game changer we needed, a more long term forward to replace Darling whose still got 2 years in him and then some middling midfielders who I think we overrated and went too early with. I think at pick 49 we should have went ZZ or Roberts to diversify out picks a bit better

Biggest losers were North who overreached for players in the early 20s who would have been around in the 30s anyway. Would have been better off trading into next years draft with those picks and picking later. GWS got it horribly wrong also with pick 12/16 muckup . Sydney Swans also I think went weird in not going for some more AFL ready bodies, especially when it comes to defenders. Crimiunal to not grab one of Murphy/ZZ with a trade down

so rawlings claims the price for curtin was too high so didnt try for it once they decided not to slide back, it didnt seem that high tbh
crows gave up 10 and 14 plus a future second (lets say a pick around 30-35) for 8 and 16

would have thought 15 and 17 is better for just pick 8 if we offered it, would have given them 15,16 and 17 likely allowed gws to get leake and goad/potentially gothard get through 3 picks later at 15 and 16 plus someone at 17 (ended up 23 eg hardeman/collard etc)

instead of gothard and leake and a future second rounder

Last edited:
Our retention issues are due to a feud with one player manager (Colin Young) Henry, Lobb, Acres, Logue, B Hill, all his players.
The only B22 players we’ve lost outside of this group are Cerra (missed Nona’s pasta during Covid) and Schultz (was going to eventually for family reasons, Collingwood bucket of $$$ persuaded him to go early).
Meek, Tucker, Hamling all not B22 and left for more opportunities at other clubs.

10 required players over a four year period, not to mention Hogan, Langdon and Neale.

You can’t act like it’s not a problem.

In review the draft shows how utterly pointless picks 13-55 really were in terms of difference.

Id have taken Murphy ahead of Dawson for example and one went at 21 and the other 41. I would have taken Edwards ahead of Goad and one went at 20 and the other 30 odd. For this reason I feel the teams who were in that 25-50 range are the teams who did the best value wise

From the draft id say 3 clear winners were Geelong, St Kilda and Fremantle. All got great value for what they had.

For Eagles Im just okay with it. Got the game changer we needed, a more long term forward to replace Darling whose still got 2 years in him and then some middling midfielders who I think we overrated and went too early with. I think at pick 49 we should have went ZZ or Roberts to diversify out picks a bit better

Biggest losers were North who overreached for players in the early 20s who would have been around in the 30s anyway. Would have been better off trading into next years draft with those picks and picking later. GWS got it horribly wrong also with pick 12/16 muckup . Sydney Swans also I think went weird in not going for some more AFL ready bodies, especially when it comes to defenders. Crimiunal to not grab one of Murphy/ZZ with a trade down

Ok with our draft.

Got the mature bodie sin JJ, Adams, Hamling and Grundy in trade period.

Would have maybe like Dawson or Wilson for first pick but hit on a Ruck, inside mid and KPD so not the worst

10 required players over a four year period, not to mention Hogan, Langdon and Neale.

You can’t act like it’s not a problem.
No one said it wasn't a problem but there are more West Australians than any other state of origin that have left. A lot of the players who left were mercenaries who we traded in so we can't be too upset by those as it's in their nature.

Names on a page look like a lot but some are double ups and we have generally come out in front with what we have flipped them for. Our Drafting and Development has been great in the same period so I'd rather that happens over retention, although it has to stop soon.

Cal Twomey had Goad, Hardeman and Dawson all before 30 - so which players would have been in the 30s?

Goad was linked the the Crows - who had a pick after our 3rd pick and before our 4th.

As for Murphy - his testing was horrendous and glad we didn't go anywhere near him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one said it wasn't a problem but there are more West Australians than any other state of origin that have left. A lot of the players who left were mercenaries who we traded in so we can't be too upset by those as it's in their nature.

Names on a page look like a lot but some are double ups and we have generally come out in front with what we have flipped them for. Our Drafting and Development has been great in the same period so I'd rather that happens over retention, although it has to stop soon.

Freo are great drafters and generally great developers. Just need to hold onto them into their primes.

Say what you want about the names coming and going but losing multiple best 22 players year on year has delayed the build.

Our draft was perfect actually, we went the ruck who was a need, I personally would have gone Wilson on a "best available" basis but we can park Green behind Grundy for 2 years and he'll be ready then. Darymple rarely goes rucks early but he gets it right when he does. Got the inside mid in Cleary who despite my feelings will be as solid at worst. The late pick we grabbed a defender, again personally would have gambled on ZZ, but there's obviously a reason they slipped. I wouldn't have been against on talent to go Arie Schoenmaker too.

Overall if you asked Swans fans before the draft we wanted 2 talls and Cleary, we got them, our recruiters are one of the better teams around.

Lions have F/S Levi Ashcroft rated top 5 at this stage and Academy boy Sam Marshall who a few pundits have in the top 15-20 so we will need points as well.

However I wouldn't mind betting the AFL change the bidding/matching process next year.
Unlikely, AFL want those Northern states to succeed desperately, they wont change it after 1 season. If anything, they compromised their own draft by giving North a massive leg up.

To highlight how strange it is to suggest Fremantle should’ve taken local talent to counter the recent trend of players leaving.

Especially when as you admit you’ve seen nothing of any of the prospects.
I was actually commenting on the amount of whinging that Fremantle do when they lose players because of go home factor. Not they shouldn't draft them but have the understanding that they might leave and that whinging isn't going to stop that. The alternate is to draft kids from WA as they won't want to leave. This is a big thing about the Vic Bias debate

North didn't take Curtin because clearly he was a flight risk.

They got burnt with JH-F, so I can understand why they didn't pick him

They addressed a couple of their other pressing needs (Ruck and key defender) and they got the 2nd most talented player in McKercher, so I think they at least they had a very solid draft.

Can see them winning 8 games or so next season.

I was actually commenting on the amount of whinging that Fremantle do when they lose players because of go home factor. Not they shouldn't draft them but have the understanding that they might leave and that whinging isn't going to stop that. The alternate is to draft kids from WA as they won't want to leave. This is a big thing about the Vic Bias debate
You just picked up a kid Freo drafted from WA, it’s like you don’t even know your own team.

Yep Bodie Ryan looks average. Average kick and handball. Will be lucky to get any time in the seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back