Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m just glad we didn’t get Caddy, I remember what a peanut his uncle was when he was captured on the umps mic calling a young Dan Howe a “ *******” that is low rent behaviour then young Nate playing in the champs lipping off with his peroxide blond hair and I’ve spoken recently to a draftee ( early 2nd round ) from last year who is still on a list ,asked him about a couple of guys we were considering including Caddy , he played against him and apparently he wasn’t highly regarded amongst his peers overrated and poor attitude. I’m glad Essendon grabbed him .

He….. he called Howe an “Essendon”?!?

damn, that is low.

Saw Clarko at my work today and I had to hold back yelling at him for bidding on young Will.
Would like to see someone call out all the media outlets that ran with the stories about Claro spending 2 hours at Curtin's place and rating him so highly and blah blah blah.

They literally make up s**t in the media for clicks and nobody calls them on it

Look at this:

“Alastair Clarkson, he has become a little infatuated with Dan Curtin I believe,” WA footy journalist Ryan Daniels said on Triple M.

“There’s a lot of interest from North Melbourne. I think that’s where this is heading. Dan Curtin’s going to end up at North Melbourne.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at this:

Miss Fail GIF by G2 Esports

Nothing to be proud of.
You generally don't confess things you're proud of, that's why it's a confession.

You don't walk into church and say "Forgive me father, I helped an old lady across the road".

You generally don't confess things you're proud of, that's why it's a confession.

You don't walk into church and say "Forgive me father, I helped an old lady across the road".
500 Hail Mary's for that. And the risk of excommunication.

I’m just glad we didn’t get Caddy, I remember what a peanut his uncle was when he was captured on the umps mic calling a young Dan Howe a “ *******” that is low rent behaviour then young Nate playing in the champs lipping off with his peroxide blond hair and I’ve spoken recently to a draftee ( early 2nd round ) from last year who is still on a list ,asked him about a couple of guys we were considering including Caddy , he played against him and apparently he wasn’t highly regarded amongst his peers overrated and poor attitude. I’m glad Essendon grabbed him .
Ask yourself how much you would enjoy to be judged by the behaviour of any one of your uncles. It has no relevance.

As much as I am ready to dislike Nate for being an Essendon player, the guy was professional enough to be invited to train and play VFL with Carlton. He might be a bit of a tosser, but we're talking about 18-year-old private school boys who are good at football. It pretty much comes with the territory.

Ask yourself how much you would enjoy to be judged by the behaviour of any one of your uncles. It has no relevance.

As much as I am ready to dislike Nate for being an Essendon player, the guy was professional enough to be invited to train and play VFL with Carlton. He might be a bit of a tosser, but we're talking about 18-year-old private school boys who are good at football. It pretty much comes with the territory.
I get it though when they selected Nate it felt like a fit. That maybe totally off base but it felt right. Just need weddle to run rings around him r1!

Ok, something to chew on from the draft.

Melbourne had some gall putting forward their woeful deal for Pick 1.

Interesting article either way, seems claims that we were into Watson and no other were unfounded considering we tried at multiple opportunities to leverage our future first. Crazy how much lower a future first is rated than a current pick, but it does go to show that hitting one bird with a stone is worth hitting two with one stone in the bush... or however that goes.

Last edited:
Melbourne had some gall putting forward their woeful deal for Pick 1.

Interesting article either way, seems claims that we were into Watson and no other were unfounded considering we tried at multiple opportunities to leverage our future first. Crazy how much lower a future first is rated than a current pick, but it does go to show that hitting one bird with a stone is worth hitting two with one stone in the bush... or however that goes.
Reid was always the number one player in this draft. We were always looking at him. However Watson was pretty close to next on the list especially at our pick.

Back