Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melbourne had some gall putting forward their woeful deal for Pick 1.

Interesting article either way, seems claims that we were into Watson and no other were unfounded considering we tried at multiple opportunities to leverage our future first. Crazy how much lower a future first is rated than a current pick, but it does go to show that hitting one bird with a stone is worth hitting two with one stone in the bush... or however that goes.
euphemisms run this country

Ok, something to chew on from the draft.

Going to be a few clubs next year wondering if they would have been better off accepting West Coast's F1 - likely pick 1 2024.

Also seems going into draft night without the ability to trade our own F1 without receiving a F3 back may have hindered our ability to put forward an enticing enough offer to clubs.

I wonder if we'd have been able to do a deal with Adelaide for the pick that got Curtin if it had been put to them well before the point it was clear Curtin would be available at that selection. With West Coast offering their own F1 we were never going to outbid them, so it probably required us to roll the dice on where he might slide to. Worst case we'd still have got O'Sullivan.

Going to be a few clubs next year wondering if they would have been better off accepting West Coast's F1 - likely pick 1 2024.

Also seems going into draft night without the ability to trade our own F1 without receiving a F3 back may have hindered our ability to put forward an enticing enough offer to clubs.

I wonder if we'd have been able to do a deal with Adelaide for the pick that got Curtin if it had been put to them well before the point it was clear Curtin would be available at that selection. With West Coast offering their own F1 we were never going to outbid them, so it probably required us to roll the dice on where he might slide to. Worst case we'd still have got O'Sullivan.
Good point. Excluding other bits and pieces, GWS essentially chose Pheonix Gothard & James Leake over WCE F1. Unless these players help them win a flag in the next couple of years, that's a bad move.

I don’t think West Coast finish last next year and other clubs likely felt similar. Have a look at their spine.
They had a horrible run with injury and are a proud club. Won’t be at all surprised if they finish outside the bottom 4 if they get their conditioning team sorted.

North on the other hand have a defence that has single gamer Biggie Nyoun as their CHB and Aiden Corr at FB. They are going to get slaughtered almost weekly is my bet.

Davo-27 or any other draft watchers more dedicated than me, how would you rate Ward, Macdonald, Mackenzie, Weddle in this years draft? (pre-draft rankings that is, not exposed form)

Davo-27 or any other draft watchers more dedicated than me, how would you rate Ward, Macdonald, Mackenzie, Weddle in this years draft? (pre-draft rankings that is, not exposed form)
I'd have had Weddle and MacDonald 15-25, Mackenzie and Ward 6-10. Ward and Frenchy both were a step behind this year's big 6, but on par with some of the stragglers like Caddy and O'Sullivan. Weddle and CMac both probably push into the first round this year, both a bit more proven or with more upside than a lot of the talent take around picks in the mid 20s, similar to where Leake and Wilson ended up.

With the talls, kosi Jeka and Ryan out, Chol McCabe dear in may have influenced the recruiting team team that young talls was less of a priority, but getting match winners such as Watson, Ginnivan was

Last edited:
Weddle was basically Connor O'Sullivan with a bigger tank and a few cms shorter
Ward was rated highly after he out performed Daicos for VM who was clearly the best player ahead of JHF by that time, so he would be on par with a Sanders I guess?
MacDonald was ranked in the 2nd group of mids, so around where Harry Demattia - Billy Wilson range
Mackenzie was rated highly in that next group after the elite 4 in his year and there was an elite 3 this year, so again near the Sanders pick imo

Weddle was basically Connor O'Sullivan with a bigger tank and a few cms shorter
Ward was rated highly after he out performed Daicos for VM who was clearly the best player ahead of JHF by that time, so he would be on par with a Sanders I guess?
MacDonald was ranked in the 2nd group of mids, so around where Harry Demattia - Billy Wilson range
Mackenzie was rated highly in that next group after the elite 4 in his year and there was an elite 3 this year, so again near the Sanders pick imo
If Sanders, Ward or McKenzie were in the same draft who would you pick first?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think West Coast finish last next year and other clubs likely felt similar. Have a look at their spine.
They had a horrible run with injury and are a proud club. Won’t be at all surprised if they finish outside the bottom 4 if they get their conditioning team sorted.

North on the other hand have a defence that has single gamer Biggie Nyoun as their CHB and Aiden Corr at FB. They are going to get slaughtered almost weekly is my bet.
Which teams will they leap frog? North sure but Gold Coast should make finals with a decent coach, Hawthorn should improve, Fremantle should bounce back, Richmond's arse end could fall out and same for Geelong. I can't see West coast finishing outside of the bottom 2.

Which teams will they leap frog? North sure but Gold Coast should make finals with a decent coach, Hawthorn should improve, Fremantle should bounce back, Richmond's arse end could fall out and same for Geelong. I can't see West coast finishing outside of the bottom 2.
I think they are a very very very good chance to go back2Back, only the Shinbeggers can save them.

I think they are a very very very good chance to go back2Back, only the Shinbeggers can save them.
They are almost no chance. seriously go and have a look at their spine in their best 22 and then tell me that is the 18th best team in the competition.

They are almost no chance. seriously go and have a look at their spine in their best 22 and then tell me that is the 18th best team in the competition.
That's actually a good point SYL, I had WCE pencilled in for the spoon until I had a bit more of a look. The back 6 will be the difference.

Corr, McDonald, Pink, Nyuon, Comben? Goater?

vs

Barrass, McGovern, Yeo, Duggan, Hough

That's actually a good point SYL, I had WCE pencilled in for the spoon until I had a bit more of a look. The back 6 will be the difference.

Corr, McDonald, Pink, Nyuon, Comben? Goater?

vs

Barrass, McGovern, Yeo, Duggan, Hough
A spine of McGovern, Barrass, Kelly, Darling and Allen. It’s very good.

Back