Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

He ain't getting away like that in the big leagues but jeez that's as good a goal as I've seen. No flukey shot from the boundary, just a complete demonstration of the most draftable AFL qualities - the push off, the agility to get through congestion, the acceleration to leave everyone else in the dust and such a classy finish from range.
Every club wants the hybrid inside and outside mid, who can explode from congestion. This is him.

I know that Reid is the established #1 talent and he has been for a fair amount of time, but his production is still relatively low. Looking at McKercher's output and Reid's output I can't help but see parallels from JHF and Daicos 2 years ago.

JHF is a solid young player but he's still low production, sub 20 disposals while Daicos has had arguably the best first 2 seasons of any player in the AFL era. Physical advantages tend to lessen as you get into the AFL system, you're no longer bigger, stronger or faster than everyone else. The one skill that seems to transfer the best is the ability to get the ball, pure and simple. Reid is averaging 20 and 2 goals and to my knowledge hasn't recorded a 30+ disposal game. McKercher just had 41 touches and 2.3 in the Coates league, averages 33 and is purely accuracy away from averaging more goals than Reid.

I can't be convinced that Reid, on current output, is as far ahead of the pack as most pundits make out. Definitely not far enough ahead to justify some of the deals being thrown around.

I know that Reid is the established #1 talent and he has been for a fair amount of time, but his production is still relatively low. Looking at McKercher's output and Reid's output I can't help but see parallels from JHF and Daicos 2 years ago.

JHF is a solid young player but he's still low production, sub 20 disposals while Daicos has had arguably the best first 2 seasons of any player in the AFL era. Physical advantages tend to lessen as you get into the AFL system, you're no longer bigger, stronger or faster than everyone else. The one skill that seems to transfer the best is the ability to get the ball, pure and simple. Reid is averaging 20 and 2 goals and to my knowledge hasn't recorded a 30+ disposal game. McKercher just had 41 touches and 2.3 in the Coates league, averages 33 and is purely accuracy away from averaging more goals than Reid.

I can't be convinced that Reid, on current output, is as far ahead of the pack as most pundits make out. Definitely not far enough ahead to justify some of the deals being thrown around.
Cal has Wizard ahead of Colby.

To me it sounds like the top 3 are locked, and Curtin/ Duursma sit just outside.

To me it sounds like the top 3 are locked, and Curtin/ Duursma sit just outside.
Cal definitely structures his lists in terms of where he has intel that clubs are looking at taking players, it makes his ratings seem more accurate, but I honestly just can't see it. Maybe the McKercher hype is being attenuated by the looming Tassie team.

Cal definitely structures his lists in terms of where he has intel that clubs are looking at taking players, it makes his ratings seem more accurate, but I honestly just can't see it. Maybe the McKercher hype is being attenuated by the looming Tassie team.
Anyone who loses colby to tassie will get well compensated. I dont see it as a risk for us given how young our list is. Might be different if we were in or near the window for a flag.

Tassie team in what, 5 years? Colby gives us 5 years, turns out to be a weapon, wins a premiership with us, decides he wants to go home and we get very well compensated for a player that could be top 20 in the comp and we carry on to a 3peat on steroids (5 in a row) without him just like we did with Buddy, except this time we get the compensation deserved.

And so it was written.

Just read Cal's top 20, in regards to Eagles, they will the split their pick. They desperately need multiple players and then there is the go home factor with Reid. Whoever gets pick 1 they take Reid. Then its over to North Melbourne, they will get Sanders (6 ish) under the indigenous NGA from the AFL so do they go Curtin then Sanders then a forward with pick 17?
Who do we take then? McKercher or Watson ? Both look the goods. Then Macabe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure you can pass on McKercher at pick 3(4)regardless of being a mid.

Would be really happy with Watson.

Curtain is interesting, how much faith is there in DGB to hold down a KPD, Sam said he still sees him as a defender... add McCabe.

Duurmsma is not the type of player I'd take at our pick. How many medium tall forwards would actually be worth that? Toby Greene easy. But he's a competitive beast...

Duurmsma reminds me of a Oliver Henry or Georgiadis if honest. Not pick 3(4).

Watson and Curtin I’m really keen on…

We need X-factor and a way to find goal - Watson gives us that in spades…
Curtain is a Roughy clone- what more needs to be said when your key position stocks are as poor as ours…

Still haven’t gone cold on Caddy either if we manage to rustle another pick - he has the x-factor too- plays above his height but also great at ground level- exactly what we need!

Would be happy with Mckercher too but feel mids are less of a need - Duursma looked awesome on the weekend but maybe just a little inconsistent

Looking forward to the draft - be interested to see what direction sleepy Mark goes in- would never question his draft scouting even if he’s terrible at the trade table…

Cal ranks on talent, not likely drafting positions. When the draft order is still in flux, that is natural to do. He does his mock draft only after the end of season.

Fox's rankings

F1XKi0BaMAAVnrW

It's the Hodge v Judd, JHF v Daicos, H.Reid v McKercher, Wardlaw v Ashcroft argument that happens most years, do you want the strong mid with aggressive characteristics or the classy accumulator? Either way you win... Harley Reid isn't as ahead of the pack as the media hyperbole makes out, dont fall for the goofy hype machine.

If H.Reid has said no to WCE? will they trade and take McKercher? Interesting news

Last edited:

I’m sorry but you need to watch Harley Reid a bit more if that’s the case. McKercher has a higher output only because he is a pure midfielder. Harley plays both forward and in defence on top of midfield time.

In terms of physical advantages Harley has already played multiple games with and against AFL listed players and more than held his own.

The hype is deserved.

Back