Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The thing that I love about the Wiz it doesn’t matter who’s on him or how tall he is as he would be a nightmare matchup. His ability to know when to go/lead, hits the ball at 110% speed and then marks it more often than not. Then with everything else he’s got …….. hope we either get the Wiz or Reid with our first but no need to sell the house for anyone unless other circumstances come into play.

With how quick agile and short he is he would be guaranteed to get around 20 goals at afl level from head high frees too

(nothing against short people of course)

I wont be unhappy if the club picks Watson as I back MM's judgement.
But if it's X-Factor we want, I just can't go past Duursma.

I think Duursma's qualities will outshine Watson's at senior level once he matures physically.
Skinny flankers with top 3 picks make me nervous. But he might be just that good it dosn't matter.

Skinny flankers with top 3 picks make me nervous. But he might be just that good it dosn't matter.
Duursma won't be skinny for long IMO.
I really don't think he is skinny now for a teenager, but he is slight, so imagine what he could do when he matures.

He's got a bit of Hird about him, the kid.
Yes.
Especially the way he floats through packs and comes out with the mark.

Harley Reid stepped up to the VFL level and dominated through the midfield for Essendon in this game. Matched the physicality, winning tough hard footy at the contest, then showed his absolute class on the outside. Took a mark of the season contender to top off a fantastic day.

Unfortunately the audio quality of the broadcast was terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley Reid stepped up to the VFL level and dominated through the midfield for Essendon in this game. Matched the physicality, winning tough hard footy at the contest, then showed his absolute class on the outside. Took a mark of the season contender to top off a fantastic day.

Looks like the sort of kid whose going to love the physicality of the top level.

Still got a bit to work on with his tank but just about a complete player otherwise.

We’ve already got a gun young bull probably don’t need Reid surplus needs 😀

He would slot in seamlessly for any side given he can play as a forward, midfielder or defender. IMO he's quite like Hodge in that regard, he could play anywhere and be a tough, hard and extremely skilful player.

The idea of Newcombe, Nash, Day, Worpel, Reid, Ward, Mackenzie and MacDonald in the midfield - with Reid, Day and Newcombe rotating as forwards is mouth watering.

Yikes. Impressive.

If he slips to us we'd probably consider taking him... ;)

Couple of statlines from this week. I'll admit I didn't get to watch any, but when the replays go up I'll watch through them.

Christian Moraes
1.0 - 30d 9k 21h - 3m 4t - 2r50 7i50
He's playing his way out of our NGA zone, would expect him to be trying for the first round next season. Reminds me of Impey.

Will Lorenz
1.1 - 21d 11k 10h - 5m 3t - 1r50 4i50
He hasn't set the world on fire, but the work he does on the run is still enough for me to be interested. Might be on where we trade into the late 30s onward after the McCabe bid, but I wouldn't count on it. Not really a player of need either, just someone I think we'd get the best out of.

Nate Caddy
4.1 - 15d 8k 7h - 5m 2t - 1i50
Back to kicking bags, it's hard to deny his production. Just off the pack for me though, I've noticed he's a tad more reactive than other forward targets. Can get away with it at this level using his athleticism, but he'll need to sharpen up his leading patterns if he's going to be more than a third tall in the AFL.

Archer Reid
3.1 - 12d 9k 3h - 6m 3t - 3i50s - 21HO
Still geting used in the ruck, but if he's kicking goals he's doing his job. I wouldn't be suprised if he still ends up a first round pick, he seems like a great system player who just couldn't click with the VC forwardline setup.

Zane Duursma
6.1 - 12d 10k 2h - 6m 3t - 2i50s
Zane Duursma the forward might just be the best player in this draft. This is a game I'll have to watch to see where he got his goals from, but his productivity in the forwardline outpaces pretty much everyone. Get him in.

I'll get the Murray lads stats up when their game goes up.

Big Game Zane is on some kind of hot streak, starting with the final Champs game and seemingly sparked by his move back to a full time forward. He was unstoppable in this game, booting a big bag of 6 goals as his Gippsland Power team dominated a Harleyless Bendigo Pioneers.

Big Game Zane is on some kind of hot streak, starting with the final Champs game and seemingly sparked by his move back to a full time forward. He was unstoppable in this game, booting a big bag of 6 goals as his Gippsland Power team dominated a Harleyless Bendigo Pioneers.

You keep making my job easier mate. Thanks for getting this vision so quickly.

Reminds me of Sicily a bit

Nick Watson kicked 5 goals in Caulfield Grammar's last match of the season and his last match of school football, where he has absolutely dominated. We have a very tough decision to make. It seems like Zane Duursma is the complete package, but Nick Watson is exactly the type of electric forward that Strapping Young Lad said we need. You then have Nate Caddy, who would be a perfect fit alongside Lewis and one of Ryan or Koschitzke. Then there's Dan Curtin, an exceptional reader of the ball and smooth mover, but perhaps not quite what we are looking for. Mark McKenzie is going to have a very tough decision to make come November...

A better version of Gunners

Back