Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

doggies ftw

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are we confident Watson might slip to our pick now? I want him badly
Depends on where Curtin goes IMO - if he goes to Norf, then Hawks sound like they’ll take McKercher or Duursma, if he doesn’t I feel like Hawks take Watson unfortunately - they won’t take Sanders and I can’t see why they take Curtin considering their backline with Sicily, Weddle etc - unless they truly think he’s a midfielder but it’d be a big call

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Depends on where Curtin goes IMO - if he goes to Norf, then Hawks sound like they’ll take McKercher or Duursma, if he doesn’t I feel like Hawks take Watson unfortunately - they won’t take Sanders and I can’t see why they take Curtin considering their backline with Sicily, Weddle etc - unless they truly think he’s a midfielder but it’d be a big call

Hawks were hunting key defenders pretty hard during the trade period.

doggies ftw

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hawks were hunting key defenders pretty hard during the trade period.
Yeah fair but not sure Curtin is the type their after, they really need a genuine KPD whereas I feel like Curtin is too same same, they’ve spent big on DGB & Weddle, Sicily is probably the best third tall in the comp, CJ, Day drops back and plays a similar role. I feel like Curtin fits in that category personally, but I might be wrong about him

PurpJuice

Debutant
Oct 6, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would be super disappointed if we end up with Watson. Sanders fills a much greater need and looks to be a better player defensively.

Watson goes missing and we don’t need another soft player, especially with Arty, Clarke etc developing as small forwards.

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Usually on Kayo these days I believe- I’m pretty excited too, been super boring when the biggest shock for us is whether our father/son goes at pick 1 or pick 4 and then we don’t enter the draft again until pick 50 😂

Pretty keen to have a live top 5 pick and then some decent picks afterwards, although the two day bs does my head in.
That is the one down side to getting FS and NGA picks in recent years. Plus draft predictors becoming more and more accurate. I do admit I have missed the mystery about who we might pick. At least we get some of that back this year with, "will it be Watson or Sanders?" (Am unfollowing this thread soon as I hear Twomey is about to release his phantom draft, until post draft).

Plus the wider range this year, on where a bid on Croft will be. Where we knew Darcy and Jamarra were sure things to be top 3. This time we will be cheering for a later bid, to leave us with a better hand. A little more mystery there.

Whilst our other live picks will be late. I think the evenness of this draft, will see some names rated on this board still about. Unless we go our usual one two punch of VFL player and a "who the hell is this guy?" player. I am hoping we can land a couple of names we like.

And then next year, back to having no first round pick. Then possible two years of FS picks. F**k our drafts really are going stay boring. Enjoy this one whilst you can. Might be the last proper one in awhile.

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would be super disappointed if we end up with Watson. Sanders fills a much greater need and looks to be a better player defensively.

Watson goes missing and we don’t need another soft player, especially with Arty, Clarke etc developing as small forwards.
I'd be happy with either. But I would be more confident about Sanders being more consistent and having a longer career.

People talk up Watsons ability to play in the MID. But there were many games where he had little impact in the middle at all. And his goals tend to come as a bag in a quarter, then fade away the rest of the match, or plenty of junk time goals according to Rookie Me. Think most of his 70 goals this year was school footy or something. Had a great NAB Championships with 14 goals in 4 games, but wasn't as impactful at Coates/Under 18 level. 11 goals in 9 games, and in the bests just once.

Watson, 152 career games, 172 goals and in the bests just 12 times.

Sanders has been amongst a massive 68 best on grounds from 119 games. And also kicked 141 goals. Which is why I prefer him come draft night.

Last edited:

ScragCity

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

Clarke is no good. Mitch Honeychurch all over again.

House_of_Dahl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Something maybe brewing behind closed doors perhaps?

What needs to happen for us to get back in to a pick in the 20’s? I’m assuming almost impossible?
I can't see any realistic way. Perhaps if we get some godfather offer for our pick 5 on draft night - eg 2 x future firsts that we think will be early. Keep one and use the other to get back this year after Croft is bid on.

I guess you have to plan for any scenario.

True Dog

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees

Soft?….. can’t agree with you on that.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't see any realistic way. Perhaps if we get some godfather offer for our pick 5 on draft night - eg 2 x future firsts that we think will be early. Keep one and use the other to get back this year after Croft is bid on.

I guess you have to plan for any scenario.

Same. The only teams with multiple firsts next year GC, who are obviously a non-starter, and Freo, who have three (theirs, Port, Pies - not super appealing) and appear keen to take them all into next year.

Given we reportedly don’t have interest in Curtin, even a move slightly back, if the Dees or GWS wanted to move up, seems very unlikely, as Curtin may well be the last one standing at either of those picks.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I personally think Collard has midfield abilities that could be developed further down the track. Could play that rotationg burst mid / forward position well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doggies ftw

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In an ideal world we somehow get Sanders & Collard, I hope we have some sort of trickery planned - but yeah I just can’t see how we possibly get it done. It’s too hard having to make the trade after a Croft bid & not having any futures.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems our choice will almost certainly be from 2 of Watson, Curtin or Sanders.

Wouldn't be unhappy either way but leaning towards Sanders.

Just seems to have such a high floor and very consistent and driven. Almost a near certain 200 gamer and fills an obvious hole in coming years given the age of our onball stars.

Golden_6

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Collard is a pipe dream. How do we possibly think we're obtaining a pick between 15-25? Our draft hand is already the second worst in the league in 2024 as well.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think there's a bigger flight risk in the draft than Collard, nor can I imagine us landing another first rounder after Croft to pick him up.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think there's a bigger flight risk in the draft than Collard, nor can I imagine us landing another first rounder after Croft to pick him up.
I think the only hope is that he slides due to the flight risk or perceived lack of discipline/dedication.

MaxiBont

All Australian
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't see how the board takes Watson over Sanders tbh. We traded a F1 for this pick and to use it on a small forward when there is a potential elite midfielder still there seems unlikely. The talks with Collard further confirms this for me, no way on earth we would take Watson and Collard surely. Interesting decisions for the board to make.