Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd also go a bit further then that. Even though his numbers look ok for contested ball, I think his contested game still needs a bit of work. He also has a habit of taping the ball when he has time to pick up the ball to either handball or kick it. In one of the champs games I noted he did it several times and it didn't really work that well. I think it's for these reasons his performances against some of the better teams were poor apart from one game at the champs. He reminds me a little bit of Jared Polec as a junior who also liked to tap the ball on a lot. I think it took him a good few years to get out of that habit.
That is something that would make me steer clear in that case tbh. Poor habits are very hard to change unfortunately. Not to say it cannot happen, but it would take some time as you said, if at all.

And you want players that excel vs good teams, not struggle. Given finals is about facing the best out there.

Last edited:
For our later and rookie picks. Hoping to get any of these players, McAuliffe, De La Rue, Hine-Bastion, a small forward. Will pretty much just leave the wings as an area of weakness depth wise. And forward pressure.

With the above we'd seal our inside brigade for the next decade along with Sanders. Get a very smart half forward flanker who can also play up the ground, instead of resting our mids who struggle at that role. And a small lockdown defender with enough to work with.

Coming late into this, but if Watson is gone by pick 5, I know Sanders is probably next off the rank....but if Curtin is available, does he get a look in? Curtin played some midfield for Claremont seniors in the WAFL with success.

I know Curtin is more known as a KPD, is Croft a dead cert, considering all the picks WBD have to give up for him and is he going to be better then Curtin?

Coming late into this, but if Watson is gone by pick 5, I know Sanders is probably next off the rank....but if Curtin is available, does he get a look in? Curtin played some midfield for Claremont seniors in the WAFL with success.

I know Curtin is more known as a KPD, is Croft a dead cert, considering all the picks WBD have to give up for him and is he going to be better then Curtin?
It’s been Reported through the media we are not taken Curtin

I don’t think it happens but I’d be okay with Curtin too personally, I think he ends up in the midfield - that movement at his size is elite, his left foot is a weapon and he’ll learn to use his size inside the contest to get his hands free and get the handball out.

Would be more than okay with him developing in our midfield and he’s only got the best guy in the comp in Bont to learn off.

I’d probably prefer Sanders for the ‘safeness’ of the pick, but hey it’s a risk which could be worth taking. Doesn’t sound like we’re keen though.

We’re reportedly not considering him. Probably drafting a fifth first round KPP in four years might be seen as a bit overkill when we have other areas of need. I don’t see Curtin as a midfielder.

We’re reportedly not considering him. Probably drafting a fifth first round KPP in four years might be seen as a bit overkill when we have other areas of need. I don’t see Curtin as a midfielder.
Was at boundary hotel in bentleigh yesterday and spoke to bevo.
Asked a few questions about this years draft -didn’t get much out of him other that curtain is a flight risk and his a massive fan off Billy Wilson said he’s the best kick in the draft..

Was at boundary hotel in bentleigh yesterday and spoke to bevo.
Asked a few questions about this years draft -didn’t get much out of him other that curtain is a flight risk and his a massive fan off Billy Wilson said he’s the best kick in the draft..

Do you meet Bevo there at this time every year?

I'm sure you've posted this before... or maybe you've forgotten? 🤔😉

Ideal scenario is Watson and Sanders available at our pick 6 and Melbourne offer us 7 and their F2 for pick 6 cause they are keen on Watson.

Use that (or our) F2 to get back in after Croft to grab Collard or Lual if they don't go too early. Or just keep that F2, and our next year's draft hand is not too bad anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideal scenario is Watson and Sanders available at our pick 6 and Melbourne offer us 7 and their F2 for pick 6 cause they are keen on Watson.

Use that (or our) F2 to get back in after Croft to grab Collard or Lual if they don't go too early. Or just keep that F2, and our next year's draft hand is not too bad anymore.
I don’t want to give up next years first rounder to slide back behind the best player at pick 5. We’ve gone all in on this pick. If Melbourne want to get ahead of us to get Watson that’s probably all the reason we should take him. Their talent identification early in the draft over the last few years has been elite.

I don’t want to give up next years first rounder to slide back behind the best player at pick 5. We’ve gone all in on this pick. If Melbourne want to get ahead of us to get Watson that’s probably all the reason we should take him. Their talent identification early in the draft over the last few years has been elite.
I’d rather just back ourselves in over any club - our first round talent identification is good too. If we have Watson ahead on our board great take him but if it’s Sanders and Watson is available I’d definitely see if they’re willing to throw us a F2 for him. Sanders & Collard would be better than Watson IMO.

Perfect draft

1. Sanders (but also happy with Wiz)

2. Croft at 17 or lower

3. Lual slips to 40 if not Friejah or EL Nour

4. Dante Visenti

With Coffield filling need for Easton Wood type and Harmes giving us midfield grunt and Libba coverage this addresses a number of issues and our 1, and the Coffield and Harmes make us better now.

We also get these new ‘recruits’

• Smith and Macrae back to form
  • Darcy to stay fit and cause havoc
  • JJ and Jones to stay fit
  • Keath back to form and Gardner another 5% better
  • Naughton, Williams and Weightman back to best
  • JUH 20 goals better
  • Poulter, Artie and Bedendo solve our wing problems
  • Gallagher grabs hold of Doc’s spot
  • VDM improves in JJ’s spot
  • Buss and Cleary get early games

I'd back our own talent identification. Dees may well not want an inside midfielder either. They have an obvious forward need.

Back