List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

3 rucks and 3-4 key forwards in the SANFL side would make things pretty unbalanced.

Sweet, Visentini + another ruck. Then 1 of Lord/Finlayson (if we don't go with a quad of doom at AFL level) + Georgiades, Scully and Walsh.
I don't care too much about the SANFL side and its balance and whatnot.

I care about premierships in the AFL.

I don't care too much about the SANFL side and its balance and whatnot.

I care about premierships in the AFL.
You need a well functioning system at SANFL level that closely mirrors the AFL sides structure, it would help make it a more seamless transition for players when called up. Having 6 talls up forward would just be a waste of time and it would hurt player development.

Jed lives rent free in your head 24/7 - it's just so sad that i'm starting to feel sorry for you.
I should really up his rent then considering the club probably paid him about $60k per goal over the second half of this season.

You need a well functioning system at SANFL level that closely mirrors the AFL sides structure, it would help make it a more seamless transition for players when called up. Having 6 talls up forward would just be a waste of time and it would hurt player development.
I'm a get the best players that are needed for the AFL and work with what you have.

There will be injuries and all types of things that change the nature of both teams.

What I am trying to say is that the AFL list is for the AFL and the Mapgies are for development. The cream rises to the top.

Last year, I was interested in how Josh Sinn or the young Burgoyne was playing, not so much Nathan Barkla.

I should really up his rent then considering the club probably paid him about $60k per goal over the second half of this season.

I like how you had to add 'over the second half of the season' because if we did it across the whole season he's probably paid less per goal than any other player on the list.

Yes god knows we could never expect any of these newbies to ever replace the output of Jed McEntee.

OPpUtn3-oWNr0pEkvWh0ffEU75s=.gif

I like how you had to add 'over the second half of the season' because if we did it across the whole season he's probably paid less per goal than any other player on the list.
Oh you're still doing the defending Jed thing? Cute. He kicked 3 goals in his last 11 games. You're happy with that?

I'm exceedingly confident that we could play 18 year old Anastasopoulos or Charleson up forward starting tomorrow with no pre season and they could at least match that, while probably doing a better job of McEntee's vastly overrated 'defensive pressure' (which he is objectively worse at in both tackle numbers and pressure act numbers than both SPP and DBJ) too.

Or you know, just play Francis Evans, who matched or exceeded McEntee's entire second half of the season goal output in one game. Twice. From three attempts.

Ahh yes, the REH list management strategy.

"So, we have 4 ruckman on the list. What's our thoughts?"

agent-smith-give-me-more.gif
Yeah, I don't need more ruckmen per se on the list. Just 4.

I think four ruckmen is about right.

You have two vying for games. A number one and a number two.

Then you have two developing ruckmen on the list.

If something happens to Dante tomorrow and he is wallowing in the Inferno tomorrow, we would have no developing ruckmen. What happens if Dante doesn't develop? It hurts a bit more because ruckmen usually take a long time to develop. Hello Sam Hayes. Hello Brynn Teakle.

The other element is that Dante might feel very comfortable that he is the only developing ruck on our list and never really has to go up against or compete against a young ruckmen. This can lead to an entitled nature. Competition for spots, even the developing ruck spot is good for the list.

So there are a few reasons. At least beyond a Matrix meme.

Something will happen and we are a Ruck short.

Might keep an eye on a couple of Rucks who missed out this year in the midseason draft if a spot opens up.

Pike the obvious one who may come. He certainly wouldn't play AFL this year but could play sanfl no problem.

Flynn Penry next years draft maybe a ruck to keep a watch on along with Kayle Gerreyn from WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I don't need more ruckmen per se on the list. Just 4.

I think four ruckmen is about right.

You have two vying for games. A number one and a number two.

Then you have two developing ruckmen on the list.

If something happens to Dante tomorrow and he is wallowing in the Inferno tomorrow, we would have no developing ruckmen. What happens if Dante doesn't develop? It hurts a bit more because ruckmen usually take a long time to develop. Hello Sam Hayes. Hello Brynn Teakle.

The other element is that Dante might feel very comfortable that he is the only developing ruck on our list and never really has to go up against or compete against a young ruckmen. This can lead to an entitled nature. Competition for spots, even the developing ruck spot is good for the list.

So there are a few reasons. At least beyond a Matrix meme.
Chillax! According to insiders, we have another ruckman still yet to join.

:sleeping:

Something will happen and we are a Ruck short.

Might keep an eye on a couple of Rucks who missed out this year in the midseason draft if a spot opens up.

Pike the obvious one who may come. He certainly wouldn't play AFL this year but could play sanfl no problem.

Flynn Penry next years draft maybe a ruck to keep a watch on along with Kayle Gerreyn from WA.

1700712456427.png

I guess C+ is a pass, but what do the ESPN gurus expect with the picks we had? I think we traded up strategically to get the players we targeted to address list needs. I would have thought a B considering those factors is a fairer assessment.

North get an A but had 5 x 1st round picks and arguably missed addressing their greatest list needs.

Port Adelaide

Pre-draft picks: 69, 83, 87

Players drafted: Tom Anastasopoulos (48), Lachie Charleson (52), Will Lorenz (57)

Port emptied their draft hand to get the likes of Esava Ratugolea through the door in the trade period, but got to work late in the piece. They targeted small forwards, with Falcons goal sneak Tom Anastopoulos and tackling machine Lachie Charleson adding competition through that area. With their third pick they grabbed classy midfielder Will Lorenz, who fell down draft boards this year but has a silky smooth game on the outside of stoppages.

Grade: C+

I guess C+ is a pass, but what do the ESPN gurus expect with the picks we had? I think we traded up strategically to get the players we targeted to address list needs. I would have thought a B considering those factors is a fairer assessment.

North get an A but had 5 x 1st round picks and arguably missed addressing their greatest list needs.

Port Adelaide

Pre-draft picks: 69, 83, 87

Players drafted: Tom Anastasopoulos (48), Lachie Charleson (52), Will Lorenz (57)

Port emptied their draft hand to get the likes of Esava Ratugolea through the door in the trade period, but got to work late in the piece. They targeted small forwards, with Falcons goal sneak Tom Anastopoulos and tackling machine Lachie Charleson adding competition through that area. With their third pick they grabbed classy midfielder Will Lorenz, who fell down draft boards this year but has a silky smooth game on the outside of stoppages.

Grade: C+

Realistically given the position we were in, we did pretty well. To walk away with 2x 3rd round picks from 2 x 4th rounders is a pretty good result. Can't be much less than a B, surely.

I guess the only query is, would those players have slipped to the final few picks anyway had we just held out and not traded up? I mean we took 3 of the last 17 picks. Is it possible that Tom and Lachie might've slipped through to 57-63, and could Lorenz have gotten to 64? Well you'd have to say it is possible, so maybe we jumped the gun and threw away next years currency? But guess you have to trust the draft team and they thought they needed to jump up or miss out.

I would've given us an A-, B+ type of score on the card.

We filled two glaring needs with small forwards. You can get some good small forwards late in the draft but Anasta and Charleson have a lot of good attributes and fit into what seems like the defensive first then offensive later small forward types that we like. Anasta has some real speed and seems to stay in the corridor while Charleson has crumbing but an all round game which gives him a ways in which he could break into the team.

I love getting a drifter late and Will Lorenz fits the bill. Choc full of potential not becoming an outstanding draftee, you never know what this classy player can do on the wing. A good size with a left foot and some footy blood in him. Happy days.

And then your WA KPF ful of potential through the rookie draft.

I would have moved the score up but we didn't get a Vigo Visentini type of ruck to join the list. Whispers coming out of Rancho Relaxo are saying we have a guy, maybe Cat B or whatever and if we do have a 7 foot basketball player converting over I would raise the score again to a straight A.

With a couple of low cards, the List Management guys have done real well.

Just get me another ruck!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back