Game Day 2023 AFL DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny, but I kind of hope we don't trade for picks outside the 1st round. It would be good to have our draft completed tonight.

Whats the thinking on North bidding on the GC lad with pick 3 over pick 2 in phantoms? IF they genuinely want him and are willing to use pick 3, then the order wouldn't matter to them. Taking him with their first pick however, wipes off more points for a team that will be their main competition when their window begins to open. Seems a better strategy?

The draft is supposed to start at 7pm AEDST. Anyone want to bet how long Gil the Dill vomits verbal diarrhea, and thus what time the first pick will actually be announced?

There's zero chance of the first pick being announced before 7:30pm... but is it even worth turning the TV on before 8pm?

It is nice to go into a draft and have no idea who we are going to select. Makes it much more exciting than the last couple of years.

Last year it was a given we were taking Michalanney
2021 It was widely reported we were locked into Rachele from a fair way out
2020 it became clear leading into the draft Thilthorpe was our man

This year there has been multiple players linked to us, so there is so many options which could land with us. And also add in the possibility of a trade happening to push up the order as well, should make it an enjoyable night tonight watching how it all plays out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the thinking on North bidding on the GC lad with pick 3 over pick 2 in phantoms? IF they genuinely want him and are willing to use pick 3, then the order wouldn't matter to them. Taking him with their first pick however, wipes off more points for a team that will be their main competition when their window begins to open. Seems a better strategy?
Norf are a shambles, just look at their gifting of Daicos who went at pick 4 then got discounted further. Hopefully they've got wise and extract full measure for a top 2 talent.

But they are Norf

The other big question (along with the time they actually start making selections) is whether there will be more players drafted tonight, or tomorrow night?

Yes, tonight is only the 1st round - but it's going to be a very loooong 1st round. Between North's "you suck" extra pick, and all the F/S and Northern Academy selections, we could see almost 30 players drafted tonight.

Tomorrow's edition nominally has more picks, but a lot of clubs will be passing on their later picks, leaving vacancies to be filled via the PSD, RD, or PSSP.

Anyone care to guess which night will see more players drafted?

The draft is supposed to start at 7pm AEDST. Anyone want to bet how long Gil the Dill vomits verbal diarrhea, and thus what time the first pick will actually be announced?

There's zero chance of the first pick being announced before 7:30pm... but is it even worth turning the TV on before 8pm?
Last year it was 40 minutes of trash before it even started

I welcome all players selected by the club, however hope C.Edwards is one of them tonight

Given that the academy and F/S picks mean the first round is going to have approximately 2,000 players picked, I think this year's draft is probably going to drag on even longer than the trade period did. Hopefully Gil's minders will drag him away before he can stretch it out much further.

You've got to wonder why they bother... I assume it's some ill-advised attempt to build suspense as to who is going to go at pick 1, but we all know who's going at pick 1 so just get the **** on with it.

The other big question (along with the time they actually start making selections) is whether there will be more players drafted tonight, or tomorrow night?

Yes, tonight is only the 1st round - but it's going to be a very loooong 1st round. Between North's "you suck" extra pick, and all the F/S and Northern Academy selections, we could see almost 30 players drafted tonight.

Tomorrow's edition nominally has more picks, but a lot of clubs will be passing on their later picks, leaving vacancies to be filled via the PSD, RD, or PSSP.

Anyone care to guess which night will see more players drafted?
My guess is 28 tonight, and 30 tomorrow.

R2 could be as few as 12 picks if the six GC picks get burnt matching.

Last edited:
7 defenders drafted with first round picks over the last 15 years.

Let's keep up the streak and go 8 from 16 this year

😐
I'll have a crack:

Phil Davis
Daniel Talia
Brodie Smith
Jake Lever
Tom Doedee
Fischer McAsey

I can't get the last one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back