Mega Thread 2023 AFL Finals Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 18 head coaching jobs available, if you have aspirations to be one you aren't turning down the opportunity unless you think you definitely aren't a chance to get it.

In terms of McRae, it's likely he or we or both didn't think he was ready at the time to be a head coach. Fair enough.
What a croc of s**t, you’ve said this before & it’s an ignorant comment to further your case against Longmuir & the club.
I’ll be honest, I’ve knocked back senior coaching positions because it didn’t suit my coaching & family position to the detriment of my career.
The Fremantle head coaching position definitely does not suit everyone & as a coach looking to further your career, it’s hardly worth giving up an attractive assistant role in Melbourne that pays handsomely for a job on the other side of the country that may not offer the security you need, particularly if you’re highly rated in the industry & know that opportunities will open soon.
Coaching jobs work both ways & you don’t take on roles for the sake of it & the fact that one has just opened up, even if there are only 18 jobs available.

Kidding yourself. It's an AFL head coaching job. Sure if you're an esteemed previous head coach you can pick and choose, but there's a reason why assistant coaches fall over themselves to get head coaching interviews whether it's for Collingwood, Gold Coast/GWS or Fremantle. The opportunity doesn't come around that often to be an AFL senior coach.

We didn't exactly cast a wide net. Bell clearly wanted JL, and interviewed a few nobodies with low credentials to show there was a 'process'.
See above.

What a croc of s**t, you’ve said this before & it’s an ignorant comment to further your case against Longmuir & the club.
I’ll be honest, I’ve knocked back senior coaching positions because it didn’t suit my coaching & family position to the detriment of my career.
The Fremantle head coaching position definitely does not suit everyone & as a coach looking to further your career, it’s hardly worth giving up an attractive assistant role in Melbourne that pays handsomely for a job on the other side of the country that may not offer the security you need, particularly if you’re highly rated in the industry & know that opportunities will open soon.
Coaching jobs work both ways & you don’t take on roles for the sake of it & the fact that one has just opened up, even if there are only 18 jobs available.
I don't know why you are so hostile with me?

You are aware of the massive pay increase that comes with being a head coach, yeah? You are not turning down the opportunity just because it happens to be in another state.

I don't know why you are so hostile with me?

You are aware of the massive pay increase that comes with being a head coach, yeah? You are not turning down the opportunity just because it happens to be in another state.
Oh ok, so you think the major consideration for a career in coaching is money?
Is that the type of person you want leading our club?

Can you please come in and coach Fremantle?

Oh ok, so you think the major consideration for a career in coaching is money?
Is that the type of person you want leading our club?
No one is turning down the opportunity to be a head coach, they're just not.

And yes, clearly, the money is a part of that. We've gotta be talking about at least a 300-400k pay increase, minimum.

Why do you have such an issue with me? Like why do you actually care that I don't like Longmuir?

Also I love this footy club, I won't cop that slander.

“This thing never happens”

“Here’s my own example of this thing happening “

“Yeah, but it never happens”

C’mon man. Josh Carr himself pulled out of the Richmond race, because he and his family want to be settled in SA. People at the tigers, and involved with, were disappointed in that decision, because they felt he was a good shot at the job. It happens. Sometimes the fit isn’t right.

“This thing never happens”

“Here’s my own example of this thing happening “

“Yeah, but it never happens”

C’mon man. Josh Carr himself pulled out of the Richmond race, because he and his family want to be settled in SA. People at the tigers, and involved with, were disappointed in that decision, because they felt he was a good shot at the job. It happens. Sometimes the fit isn’t right.
Bull. He knew he wasn't getting it so used the family as an excuse.

Big game players. Both sides just had so many moments where they nailed the shots. Collingwood weren’t as accurate. But a lot of their misses were not super easy, or rushed and stuff. But those set shots to finish quarters etc? Just nailed them. Even serong who I reckon could be a big game player with around the ground work, I just think he’d miss shots like those. Guys that want to own the moment (and actually do!) are so valuable. We need way more. And realistically, that’s why it helps to be Collingwood. They get the big games and the big time experiences. We get the derby…

If you are going to throw the soft and/or a flog because of staging insult at Daicos then don't be a hypocrite and not throw it at Sonny, too. Whether we as fans like it or not, players do it because it works and not because they are soft. No player setting foot on a football field is soft.
Absolutely. Sonny cops heaps for his diving and ducking, even from us here. Not sure why Duckos should be spared the same. Did it 4 or 5 times today and then flopped to the ground under the slightest bump. Certainly looked very soft. J Selwood was way more courageous and he copped heaps for his ducking.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone here Pendlebury’s (at least I think it was him) interview after the game?

they asked him about Bobby Hill and what he’s like and he said that he’s quite reserved at the club…then he said something I thought was interesting.

he said McCrae tells Bobby Hill to go out every game and “light up the MCG”.

Not have ten tackles, although I’m sure that comes into it.

”go out there and light up the MCG”.

That speaks a lot to mindset, I’d say…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their best player and their captain are father-son selections.

Where’s my Freo age-eligible sons at?

What’s that? We don’t have any?

We’ll just have to do this the hard way.
Heard Adrian Fletcher and Ben Allan’s sons are pretty good…

No one is turning down the opportunity to be a head coach, they're just not.

And yes, clearly, the money is a part of that. We've gotta be talking about at least a 300-400k pay increase, minimum.

Why do you have such an issue with me? Like why do you actually care that I don't like Longmuir?

Also I love this footy club, I won't cop that slander.

Just as a side point. JL didn't earn much more as senior coach at Freo than he did as an assistant in his first year here.

Just as a side point. JL didn't earn much more as senior coach at Freo than he did as an assistant in his first year here.
So we should have the coin to spend more on off field departments?
That and Carr left and we are doing
a cheap makeover.
Or that Lyons contract payout set us back for years.
Still doesn’t sound like anyone is guiding this club to greatness.

One thing I found satsifying was watching that faux tough guy Berry cost his team the game with 2 x 50m penalties for his late hits on Daicos and Sidebottom. Will always remember that game he was non-stop laying into Brayshaw (a very small player) off the ball, and Andy eventually snapped and got suspended for retaliating.

Have very little respect for these pretend tough guys like Berry and Cripps who take cheap shots at vulnerable/small players, but you will never see them trying it on against people their own size.

So we should have the coin to spend more on off field departments?
That and Carr left and we are doing
a cheap makeover.
Or that Lyons contract payout set us back for years.
Still doesn’t sound like anyone is guiding this club to greatness.
Yep. 30 more years of mediocrity here we come.

Talk about coaches all you want but we're so far away it's not even funny. Have a look at our age profiles when we were actually competing. Very similar to these two teams. That Lyon/Rosich period between 2017-2019 where they refused to fully embrace the rebuild, and our drafting during our years at the top have severely ****ed up our chances of competing any time soon, regardless of the coach. 2022 was an anomoly with us performing massively about what we shouldve.

F7UKPjobIAAHrvA
1696121932094.png

Talk about coaches all you want but we're so far away it's not even funny. Have a look at our age profiles when we were actually competing. Very similar to these two teams. That Lyon/Rosich period between 2017-2019 where they refused to fully embrace the rebuild, and our drafting during our years at the top have severely ****ed up our chances of competing any time soon, regardless of the coach. 2022 was an anomoly with us performing massively about what we shouldve.

F7UKPjobIAAHrvA
View attachment 1818941
Yep. 2025. It’s coming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back