Mega Thread 2023 AFL Finals Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as a side point. JL didn't earn much more as senior coach at Freo than he did as an assistant in his first year here.
In his first year, 2020? Ross Lyon payout and the AFL cut the cap for off field spending due to COVID. I'm not surprised.

I read an article saying assistant coaches average about 150-200k a year, head coaches up about 750-800k... It is a big pay increase.

Believe it or not mate, some people put their family before their careers.
Hey? If an assistant coach has aspirations to be a head coach, thinks he's ready to be one and a club genuinely wants them as head coach, you aren't turning it down because it's in another state.

Carr wasn't getting it so he pulled out, I would've done the same.

Any AFL head coaching job is ranked far and away above an assistant gig.

• only 2 or 3 a year become available for a start. There are dozens of assistant jobs
  • if you are an assistant you don’t pass up a head coaching gig elsewhere if you have designs on being one yourself. They are rare opportunities that don’t come up often.
  • Josh carr appears to have been anointed as Hinkley replacement in 2 years at port so that’s a little bit different.
  • there’s a massive gap in pay. The entire industry has been complaining for the last 3 years how underpaid assistants are.

In his first year, 2020? Ross Lyon payout and the AFL cut the cap for off field spending due to COVID. I'm not surprised.

I read an article saying assistant coaches average about 150-200k a year, head coaches up about 750-800k... It is a big pay increase.

Hey? If an assistant coach has aspirations to be a head coach, thinks he's ready to be one and a club genuinely wants them as head coach, you aren't turning it down because it's in another state.

That's exactly what it was, but to move without being paid for at least a year better than you would get staying where you are says to me there is more passion and ambition involved than just a financial calculation.

I mean, he seems to have a guaranteed coaching job once Hinkley eventually retires, why not wait a couple more years so you can coach in your base state?

Collingwoods midfield has incredibly not gotten the credit it deserves I reckon.
They beat GWS and Brisbane well in there when it mattered.
We took the wrong guy from hawks - Mitchell is far far superior to JOM. Not saying Mitchell was ever a possibility to come here though. But There is a perception they were both similar level players and it’s nonsense. Mitchell is a far far superior player. Been very underrated in this pies midfield that bats very deep indeed.

Believe it or not mate, some people put their family before their careers.
Rubbish. Of course there are many people who put their family first to the exception of everything else, but it doesn't include those are serious about wanting a senior afl coaching position. They're mutually incompatible.

Collingwoods midfield has incredibly not gotten the credit it deserves I reckon.
They beat GWS and Brisbane well in there when it mattered.
We took the wrong guy from hawks - Mitchell is far far superior to JOM. Not saying Mitchell was ever a possibility to come here though. But There is a perception they were both similar level players and it’s nonsense. Mitchell is a far far superior player. Been very underrated in this pies midfield that bats very deep indeed.
We have an issue with Fyfe, JOM and Brodie.
2 out of the 3 can play another position but Will?
All 3 could be on borrowed midfield time.
GWS are probably the benchmark next year.
Pies could lose 3-4 players to retirement.
Lions have Ashcroft, Fletcher to bring in.
Father sons, NGA rules, your either top 4 or wasting time here.

got nothing to add mate?
Sorry Lach72 that was out of line and I apologize. I was getting incensed at the JL bashing on this thread leading up to your post, specifically the comparisons to McCrae, and I interpreted yours as a dig at JL, which on re-read it clearly isn’t. I think I’m going to impose a posting beer limit from now on.

One thing I found satsifying was watching that faux tough guy Berry cost his team the game with 2 x 50m penalties for his late hits on Daicos and Sidebottom. Will always remember that game he was non-stop laying into Brayshaw (a very small player) off the ball, and Andy eventually snapped and got suspended for retaliating.

Have very little respect for these pretend tough guys like Berry and Cripps who take cheap shots at vulnerable/small players, but you will never see them trying it on against people their own size.
Yeah, Brisbane's worst few - Berry, Starcevich and Raynor - were terrible. Collingwood had no passengers. McRae outcoached Fagan as well, the latter doing nothing to break the Andrews 'tag'. It was obvious from ten minutes in that Collingwood were prepared to sacrifice a forward to stop Andrews from intercepting & setting things up.

Collingwood had no passengers.

... Pies were arguably playing two talls short. Even if you think of Frampton as purely there to keep Harris Andrew's honest he didn't impact the game. Mason Cox was barely a factor given the marking power he can bring.

It looked like Fagan and McRae appeared to decide to let Coleman and Hill go head to head, it arguably almost worked. Whomever had more of an impact between those two was going to win the game for his team and win the Norm Smith.

Sorry Lach72 that was out of line and I apologize. I was getting incensed at the JL bashing on this thread leading up to your post, specifically the comparisons to McCrae, and I interpreted yours as a dig at JL, which on re-read it clearly isn’t. I think I’m going to impose a posting beer limit from now on.
Limit? Bro it's a threshold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because others have done it, by which I mean West Coast with their state teams, father-sons and priority picks, then we can too.

So we know it’s not impossible but an absurdly large amount of things have to go right and no campaigner is going to be sweeping obstacles out of our way. Like the Pies had with Maynard knocking a campaigner out and being allowed to play or Toby Greene having his head ripped off, whoops, sorry, we swallowed the whistle.

... Pies were arguably playing two talls short. Even if you think of Frampton as purely there to keep Harris Andrew's honest he didn't impact the game. Mason Cox was barely a factor given the marking power he can bring.

It looked like Fagan and McRae appeared to decide to let Coleman and Hill go head to head, it arguably almost worked. Whomever had more of an impact between those two was going to win the game for his team and win the Norm Smith.
But Frampton's impact was to negate Andrews. Disagree about Cox and Cameron - thought they got on top in the second half and that Cox had a good game. Hill beat Starcevich in every early contest. Coleman is terrific but he absolutely burned the footy a few times.

The mental gymnastic surrounding Framptons game is crazy. He is comfortably the worst premiership player I can think of. A massive 2 touches, 2 turnovers, 2 frees against, 0 marks. "But he negated Andrews" who lead the game in marks, intercept posessions, one percenters, intercept marks, spoils.

Frampton is the definition of a passenger.

Because others have done it, by which I mean West Coast with their state teams, father-sons and priority picks, then we can too.

So we know it’s not impossible but an absurdly large amount of things have to go right and no campaigner is going to be sweeping obstacles out of our way. Like the Pies had with Maynard knocking a campaigner out and being allowed to play or Toby Greene having his head ripped off, whoops, sorry, we swallowed the whistle.
Had a big laugh about the Toby rules yesterday.

Last week, “drop your knees and get decapitated, you will get nothing”, .....”actually holding the ball would be appropriate”.

This week, “I don’t care if they drop their knees, they had a feather touch on the shoulder. High tackle against Sir Daicos”.

Consistency, ..... grrrrr.

thank you.

The mental gymnastic surrounding Framptons game is crazy. He is comfortably the worst premiership player I can think of. A massive 2 touches, 2 turnovers, 2 frees against, 0 marks. "But he negated Andrews" who lead the game in marks, intercept posessions, one percenters, intercept marks, spoils.

Frampton is the definition of a passenger.
Winners write history. It's a harsh lesson we learned after '13 and somehow everything, even the areas they were soundly beaten in, was a plan all along by the master coach.

There’s a massive difference between speaking to people & interviewing people. The thought that everyone wanted the Fremantle job at that time is fanciful.
We’re not an Eastern States team that’s easy for coaches to step straight into the role. * me, common sense.

So answer the question. Did we speak to him or interview him?

I did not knock or attack our club it was a question.

Also - there are 18 of these jobs in the country. In any year there might be 3-4 available. It would be very rare for someone who is serious about it as a career path not to come to a financially strong club. You are showing a lack of common sense yourelf.

Winners write history. It's a harsh lesson we learned after '13 and somehow everything, even the areas they were soundly beaten in, was a plan all along by the master coach.
I know Frampton is hard to accept but he wasn‘t there to get a possession, his role was to stop Andrews having an influence and for the first 3 quarters at least he did that well. Brisbane was already missing their other key big defender, so Frampton was important to the result, and Fagan‘s inability or reluctance to do anything about it was a failure.

I know Frampton is hard to accept but he wasn‘t there to get a possession, his role was to stop Andrews having an influence and for the first 3 quarters at least he did that well. Brisbane was already missing their other key big defender, so Frampton was important to the result, and Fagan‘s inability or reluctance to do anything about it was a failure.
was that effect from Frampton or just Collingwoods natural game plan? im not convinced frampton had that much an impact on andrews tbh, would have to rewatch and keep an eye on the pair but to me, collingwood move the ball in a way that naturally nullifies the impact key back/intercepters can have. their quick transition footy has to be broken up much further ahead of the KPD or else its just going right past them, imo andrews could have been playing on my mum and still not impacted that much

also frampton certainly had a few chances to take some marks and kick some goals and flunked them all, was dreadful

Ignore the commentators that kept banging on about it every 2 minutes. Andrews was Brisbane's 3rd best player according to Champion Data. Frampton was terrible and dropped numerous marks any decent tall would take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back