Fixture 2023 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry if the thread title got people a little excited but the fixture isn't quite ready, though we are getting some info

Thought this would be a good opportunity to start discussion about what we'd like to see from our fixture, who do we expect to play in "Magic Round", and who'll be our opponent for the Flag unfurling at KP

Then we're all set for when further info does get released

Reported on 7news tonight that we apparently are playing the Pies on the Friday night in round 1 @ the G (there home game from the sound of it)

Bit disappointing if it's their home game, we haven't "hosted" them since 2017. Though it might mean a return bout against them later in the season perhaps? Similarly, I think Essendon are due for a home game against us (last time was in 2018).

We can lock in Sydney as one of our double-ups, Hawthorn on Easter Monday and most likely a reduced number of games at GMHBA given the new stand isn't supposed to be ready until mid-season. Everything else is up in the air really.

Clubs can opt to hold a match simulation/training with another club on weekend Feb 25-26
This will surely be with Essendon, the Scott boys like to compare notes, hence why we always seemed to do this against North when Brad was at the helm

Should be thursday night. Ridiculous that carlton vs richmond is first.
I'm so sick of people complaining about that fixture, especially when it was a contest last year and it's finally a worthy match-up since both should be playing finals next year.

I think it's ridiculous that Hawthorn play us on Easter Monday since they've been abysmal for years (hypocritical I know, since it was a contest last season as well). Thats our game because we are the best and therefore it should be against whoever finishes highest each season out of Pies, Blues, Hawks and Tigers. Left out Essendon because there's the country game which might actually be interesting for the first time because Brad Scott is coaching Essendon.

I'm so sick of people complaining about that fixture, especially when it was a contest last year and it's finally a worthy match-up since both should be playing finals next year.

I think it's ridiculous that Hawthorn play us on Easter Monday since they've been abysmal for years (hypocritical I know, since it was a contest last season as well). Thats our game because we are the best and therefore it should be against whoever finishes highest each season out of Pies, Blues, Hawks and Tigers. Left out Essendon because there's the country game which might actually be interesting for the first time because Brad Scott is coaching Essendon.
They keep complaining cos it's rubbish and unjust. The afl hope by playing it each year people will eventually get sick of others complaining. That's the strategy.

Reported on 7news tonight that we apparently are playing the Pies on the Friday night in round 1 @ the G (there home game from the sound of it)

That would be fun i doubt hawkins will be ready so o henry might play in front of 90k.

Hawthorn may be a struggling team over recent seasons, but more often than not, Geelong vs Hawthorn flags clashes turn out to be really good matches, especially on Easter Monday - very rarely is the EM clash a one-sided affair

I'm more than happy to see that match continue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn may be a struggling team over recent seasons, but more often than not, Geelong vs Hawthorn flags clashes turn out to be really good matches, especially on Easter Monday - very rarely is the EM clash a one-sided affair

I'm more than happy to see that match continue
I’m not because they’re not on our level.

Personally I'm thrilled Round One is us hosting the Friday night blockbuster at the G!

It's a lovely honour for the club. Our advertisers will be thrilled too. (Wonder if we requested it because it seems the best possible opening game for the Cats?)

Besides I've got a bit of a soft spot for Cats v Pies games. Usually end up being crackers. Wonder if McRae and Scotty will do some pre-game interviews together as they are Brisbane premiership teammates. McRae is a weird unit and his interviews are usually delightful. Must be nice for the Pies not to have a dour coach anymore.

Long story short, Friday night opening round at the G! Let's go Cats!

I don't care about the fixture it is what it is, and i am sure clubs would do the same thing just get on with it

i agree with you here. geelong should play someone better on easter monday.

and for the same reason the opening game should be between the flag winner and a genuine flag challenger. Not outside hopes.

And how exactly does one predict who's a "genuine flag challenger" in the 3 -> 4 months before the start of the season, when there's more unknowns than knowns about what's ahead?

Just need to look at pre-round 1 predictions about who's going to play finals, reach the grand final & potential premiers to see how few are accurate with those predictions on the eve of the season, let alone if they had to make them at this time of year

Go back 12 months - who's naming Geelong (83 point prelim loss), Sydney (Elim final loss) or Collingwood (17th) as being genuine flag contenders?

"Genuine flag contenders" don't necessarily equate to better quality of matches versus non flag contenders - and no matter what they do, the fixture will always be something of a guessing game in terms of fairness & balance; it may look good at the time of release, but so much changes between now and September

For those who haven't seen it:

FjFfId3VQAEhDcp

Tuff game for the Cats first up no Selwood and as I keep reading here big chance no Hawkins as well, the Pies ran us to within a goal twice this season and about 16 points rd2 they picked up a tallish forward much needed in Mc Stay from Brisbane and Tom Mitchell from the Hawks to further bolster their midfield,their bigger departures were Grundy and of cause Oli Henry.What a game to start the 2023 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back