Review 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft Discussion April

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn't heard of Brooksby before today's game but she's put herself in contention for a draft spot in next year's draft.
Brooksby played with SA at the AFLW Under 18 Championships and is a Top 20 player... 😉

Black

Goody 26 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 clearances

Brooksby, 22 disposals, 5 i50s, 6 clearances

Henry, 22 touches, 11 tackles

White

Hodge 25 disposals 4 tackles 3 i50

Keck 21 disposals, 2 clearance 4 i50s

McMullin 21 disposals 2 clearances 2 i50s

(Hopefully no typos, gosh they talk fast!!)
Yep top performers:

Shineah Goody - 26 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 1 goal
Molly Brooksby - 22 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances, 5 inside 50s
Jaime Henry - 22 disposals, 4 marks, 11 tackles, 3 clearances
Georgia Clark - 16 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s, 2.1
Elaine Grigg - 16 disposals, 7 tackles, 2 clearances, 2 rebound 50s
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner - 13 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 7 inside 50s

Kaitlyn Srhoj - 25 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s
Lila Keck - 21 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal
Sienna McMullen - 21 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 4 rebound 50s
Piper Window - 20 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 rebound 50s
Brooks Barwick - 19 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 clearances, 4 inside 50s
Matilda Scholz - 16 disposals, 3 tackles, 10 hitouts, 3 clearances, 5 rebound 50s

Yep top performers:

Shineah Goody - 26 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 1 goal
Molly Brooksby - 22 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances, 5 inside 50s
Jaime Henry - 22 disposals, 4 marks, 11 tackles, 3 clearances
Georgia Clark - 16 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s, 2.1
Elaine Grigg - 16 disposals, 7 tackles, 2 clearances, 2 rebound 50s
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner - 13 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 7 inside 50s

Kaitlyn Srhoj - 25 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s
Lila Keck - 21 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal
Sienna McMullen - 21 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 4 rebound 50s
Piper Window - 20 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 rebound 50s
Brooks Barwick - 19 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 clearances, 4 inside 50s
Matilda Scholz - 16 disposals, 3 tackles, 10 hitouts, 3 clearances, 5 rebound 50s
Okay so clearly they didn’t pronounce Srhoj very clearly 😂😂😅

Are the stats available anywhere or you know a guy?

Pronunciation- Sir-hoi

My daughters girlfriend plays with her at State Level and told me how to pronounce it 😂
They mostly went with Srhodge which I at least figured was her, but the stats when they were read out were the other commentator who pronounced it all different ways 😅

They mostly went with Srhodge which I at least figured was her, but the stats when they were read out were the other commentator who pronounced it all different ways 😅
Yeah not that he needs backing up, but Biggie is correct. I was lucky enough to hear her name spoken early in the season so whenever a commentator asks I tell them. It can be a tricky name on paper.

Yeah not that he needs backing up, but Biggie is correct. I was lucky enough to hear her name spoken early in the season so whenever a commentator asks I tell them. It can be a tricky name on paper.
Yeah of course. Must be a tough gig sometimes with butchering names

UNDER-18 Player of the Championships Shineah Goody has picked up where she left off, starring in the NAB AFLW Futures match.

Played between two squads of the top under-17 talent in the country, Goody recorded 26 disposals, eight tackles, five clearances and a goal despite spending large portions of the game up forward.

Goody's Black team turned around a slow start to grab the win, triumphing by two points in blustery conditions at GMHBA Stadium on Sunday.

Georgia-Clark-of-Team-Black-handballs-in-the-NAB-AFLW-Futures-match-on-June-5-2022.JPG

Georgia Clark of Team Black handballs in the NAB AFLW Futures match on June 5, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
West Australian Kaitlyn Srhoj was White team's best with 25 touches, four tackles and three inside 50s.

Tasmanian Brooke Barwick (19, five tackles) thrived in the contested conditions, while South Australian Molly Brooksby (22 and five tackles) and West Australian Jaime Henry (22, 11 tackles) were busy throughout.

Darcie Davies – the younger sister of Gold Coast's Giselle and this year's potential draftee Fleur – was a strong presence up forward, and had a strong battle against South Australian ruck star Matilda Scholz.

AFLW FUTURES BLACK
1.1 3.4 5.5 6.9 (45)
AFLW FUTURES WHITE 4.1 5.1 5.1 7.1 (43)

GOALS
Black:
Clark 2, Davies, Goody, Peters, Whittaker
White: Parker 2, Berry, Cleaver, Keck, Lamb, Raison

BEST
Black:
Goody, Brooksby, Clark, Stone, Henry, Grigg
White: Srhoj, Barwick, McMullen, Lamb, Scholz, Keck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a WA perspective - 2005 crop looks to be headed by these 3

1. Georgie Cleaver
  2. Jamie Henry
  3. Kaitlin Srhoj

With SA's top group seemingly:

Shineah Goody.
Elaine Grigg.
Lauren Young.
Molly Brooksby.
Piper Window.

Is this the residual effects of the shutdown?
Probably, knock on effects of less footy means not as many were ready for the jump and may have been brought in earlier than they should've been and didn't perform as well as they were expected too, but this years class was impressive from Round 1 so I think there is a gap in talent in comparison

Probably, knock on effects of less footy means not as many were ready for the jump and may have been brought in earlier than they should've been and didn't perform as well as they were expected too, but this years class was impressive from Round 1 so I think there is a gap in talent in comparison

Pisano, Keck and co were 15 years old when the shutdown started in 2020 so opportunities were far and few between if any so this is completely understandable.

For some, U15's is normally a good launching pad and to have had this taken away from the Victorians could be the difference between team representation next year.

Sort of similar for the 2024 crop but there's at least a sliver of games afforded to us to assess them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back