Toast 2023 awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Serong will win a brownlow one day

This year
Done a lot of good work under the nose of the umps.
Umps love they’re contested possession clearance types only AB to pinch votes
Even though we finished low he still has 10 wins 2 losses under a goal where he can poll really well in

Don't reckon he'll top it, but he will get 20+ I reckon.

this would be true if you completely ignore where the ball goes after it leaves his boot

Thread for player awards etc?

Caleb Serong wins Herald Sun POTY!

Anyone got this text?

Congrats Caleb!!

(Despite the obligatory dig at your team…)

Caleb Serong wins Herald Sun’s Player of the Year nod as David King urges Fremantle Dockers to ‘embrace chaos’​

Headshot of Chris Robinson
Chris RobinsonThe West Australian
Mon, 28 August 2023 5:14AM
Comments
Chris Robinson
Fremantle have been backed to return to the finals mix next year after their disappointing 2023 - but must first ditch playing with “absolute boredom”, according to analyst David King.
It comes as Dockers midfielder Caleb Serong surged to a surprise win in The Herald Sun’s Player of the Year award to frank his claims for a maiden All-Australian call-up when the side is announced on Wednesday.
Serong, who is ineligible to win the Brownlow Medal after being suspended for a dangerous tackle in round 17, finished above Christian Petracca and Zak Butters in the Victorian news outlet’s award to join Nat Fyfe (2013 and 2015) as the only Freo players to win the prize.
9be87f8fe8993d6bf9137211b71dc6d4224762bd.jpg
Fyfe and Serong earlier this year. 2023 AFL Photos
The fourth-year star took his game to a new level in 2023, averaging 30.7 disposals - the second-highest tally in a season in Dockers history - to go with 7.6 clearances and five tackles per game.
He was voted by teammates as one of Freo’s three nominees for the AFL Player Association’s Most Valuable Player award, which will also be handed out on Wednesday. Last year’s winner Andrew Brayshaw and important defender Luke Ryan are the two other Dockers in the running, with each club putting three names forward.
Serong looms as one of the keys to Fremantle returning to the top eight next year after slumping to 14th this season, with King placing them among the three most likely non-finalists to climb into the September frame next season.
Fremantle Dockers forward Jye Amiss completes 40-goal season to sit among the club’s greatest key forwards
Fremantle Dockers set to stick with three tall forwards as Brennan Cox opens up on late-season switch
But the two-time North Melbourne premiership player urged Justin Longmuir and the Dockers coaching staff to emphasis speed and less predictability in their approach.
“I look at Caleb Serong and I see what (Luke) Jackson’s doing and I think that they’ve just got to be there (in the top eight),” King said on SEN.
“If they stop playing with absolute boredom and open the valves a little bit and get some speed on their game... throw the magnets around and embrace a bit of chaos - they’ll be there.”
The Dockers finished their 10-win season on a high note last weekend, with Serong producing a big second half to lead them to a 37-point road victory over Hawthorn at the MCG.

Luke Ryan started the year with a bad back and looked cooked, hobbling about like an old man. People have long memories. He contributed significantly to our poor start to the year, along with Pearce, Brayshaw, JOM whom were all pretty average the first 3-6 rounds.

Ryan absolutely turned it around and was quite impressive in the 2nd half of the year. Yes he does kick long 95% of the time from kickouts. It’s 100% going to be coaching directive.

Luke Ryan started the year with a bad back and looked cooked, hobbling about like an old man. People have long memories. He contributed significantly to our poor start to the year, along with Pearce, Brayshaw, JOM whom were all pretty average the first 3-6 rounds.

Ryan absolutely turned it around and was quite impressive in the 2nd half of the year. Yes he does kick long 95% of the time from kickouts. It’s 100% going to be coaching directive.
I think most of the team looked cooked early hence losing to north.
All the AA 44 had bad games or/and missed games this season
Pretty hard to play 23rds to perfection in modern footy

I think most of the team looked cooked early hence losing to north.
All the AA 44 had bad games or/and missed games this season
Pretty hard to play 23rds to perfection in modern footy

I think he had a great year, he would be deserving of AA and certainly his squad spot. I think people who perceive him having a bad year are holding onto that first quarter of the season and looking for mistakes. Everyone was off 10% and some players even more.

Agreed. Lukey had a great finish to the 2nd half of the season. Unfortunately some posters on here have a hate-boner for the guy. I remember commenting in post match thread saying he was one of our best but noo cos of kick-ins. 🤷‍♂️

Ryan got coaches votes from both coaches in the first two rounds, his start couldn't have been that bad.

* off. Serong??
The more external organisations could work on young Serong's already substantial shoulder chip, the better. It works well for him. Although I'm not sure he could be more motivated than he already is

Not an award as such but an achievement.

Caleb and Andy the top two highest disposal getters in the competition this year.View attachment 1789062

Not sure I'm fond of this, our two prime movers pull in over 1300 possession between them and we finish 14th?

Points to a degree of stat padding and a lack of hurt factor.

Enjoyed Caleb's year, genuinely coalface operator, AB's hurt factor not great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He literally went at 88% DE for the whole season.....
A kick over 35m that isn’t intercepted is considered effective. That 88% of his kicks.
For those with blinkers on re Ryan go and watch the last Geelong game closely.
His Stats we off the charts but have a look at how genuinely effective he was. Classic example of why stats are so misleading in AFL.

Beginning to think that not even Serong will make the team. Outside the Herald Sun award, he's not getting many plaudits. Didn't make the afl.com.au team, nor a couple of others I've seen. Not sure even Pav can overcome the "you gotta have Dusty on the team" types.

Beginning to think that not even Serong will make the team. Outside the Herald Sun award, he's not getting many plaudits. Didn't make the afl.com.au team, nor a couple of others I've seen. Not sure even Pav can overcome the "you gotta have Dusty on the team" types.
Yeah I think so too. Doesn't matter that he's 1st in disposals, 4th in clearances, 5th in contested possesions, and 7th in goal assists, and top 10 in coaches votes in the whole league because he plays for us in a year where we finished low on the ladder despite being 3 games away from 5th.

In spite of our ladder position in the 2023 season we have a whole bunch of players who will poll extremely well in the Brownlow count.

At the top of the list is Caleb Serong who had an outstanding season on a number of fronts. So much so, he will more than likely be in the top five as the count heads towards its conclusion. Sadly for Caleb, his suspension excludes him from taking the medal if he did win, or tie with another player. Incredibly, there has been very little written about our quiet achiever with Eastern States commentators and parochial journos displaying their usual VIC-centric attitudes about any player outside their Victorian border.

Luke Jackson, Luke Ryan and Andy Bradshaw will also poll well and deservedly so.

For all the media and Eastern States commentators’ blustering about the talent of their local players, it will be a memorable night for our Club.

They only put Brayshaw on the bench when he was the league MVP.

Probably J.Daicos and Gulden on the wings. Maybe Petracca/Rozee at HFF and N.Daicos/Bont/Butters in the middle. Then comes the bench.

Serong is in the next group with Neale, Merrett, Libba, Dawson, etc ... he could get a bench spot, but who knows? They better not put De Goey, Martin or Cripps in the side.

They only put Brayshaw on the bench when he was the league MVP.

Probably J.Daicos and Gulden on the wings. Maybe Petracca/Rozee at HFF and N.Daicos/Bont/Butters in the middle. Then comes the bench.

Serong is in the next group with Neale, Merrett, Libba, Dawson, etc ... he could get a bench spot, but who knows? They better not put De Goey, Martin or Cripps in the side.
Martin and Cripps will be in, just watch them do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back