Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don’t want to pile on the guy but it’s not a coincidence our forwardline looks the best it has in like 8 years with these two in it rather than him (low footy IQ) and/or Lobb (selfish).

The people who have always bemoaned Tabs footy smarts are pretty vindicated right now.
Thats Me Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live

Who has played the most time on the other wing opposite to Noddy for the season?

Yeah I don’t want to pile on the guy but it’s not a coincidence our forwardline looks the best it has in like 8 years with these two in it rather than him (low footy IQ) and/or Lobb (selfish).

The people who have always bemoaned Tabs footy smarts are pretty vindicated right now.
I don't think it vindicates anybody on that score. The forward line has definitely functioned well with Taberner in it at times in the past.

It can make it hard for it to do so if the forward line is adjusting constantly to either his newly emerged presence/absence. A key forward plays such a pivotal role in that forward half that his lack of continuity is increasingly problematic.

Noddy has played the majority of each game in defence this season as a winger. We really need a defensive winger so we can unlock Noddy's firing power in the forward half.

100%. Driz and Acres worked so well together.
Hopefully Corey Wagner can nail down the role as intended. I like the idea of Brayshaw on a wing but idk how it would impact his numbers and if he can be as effective in defense.

Who has played the most time on the other wing opposite to Noddy for the season?
When Noddy played his first few games this year it was Hughes and Aish on the wings. Aish still plays predominately wing but Hughes has thankfully been moved back to defence. Johnson and Erasmus have played that role in recent times. Freddy has also spent a decent amount of time there in the last four weeks while still mostly forward. With our forward line, defence and centre clearances all improving dramatically in recent times I think the wings are our weakest position.

Hopefully Corey Wagner can nail down the role as intended. I like the idea of Brayshaw on a wing but idk how it would impact his numbers and if he can be as effective in defense.
Heath Chapman could yet be that player by the end of the season. If Hughes is sill playing well I would at least try Chappy as a winger when he returns at WAFL level. If it doesn't work out then he would still be able to return to AFL level as a defender when he's ready. But if it did work out then he could solve a major problem area for us. When wet weather is expected I do like the idea of Brodie coming into the team with Serong and Brayshaw spending time on the wings. I just think we need to give them a bit of a chop out from playing so much game time going against all the bigger bodied mids at clearances. Serong now definitely has the running capabilities to play outside the contest a bit more. He covers huge amounts of distance each game.

I don't think it vindicates anybody on that score. The forward line has definitely functioned well with Taberner in it at times in the past.

It can make it hard for it to do so if the forward line is adjusting constantly to either his newly emerged presence/absence. A key forward plays such a pivotal role in that forward half that his lack of continuity is increasingly problematic.
Tabs is the key to unlocking a WAFL Premiership for Peel this season as they lack a strong marking target but have a lot of leading forwards. If he can get his body right he could potentially be good cover for Amiss and/or Treacy by the end of the season. I couldn't see him playing infront of either of our young tall forwards this season.

When Noddy played his first few games this year it was Hughes and Aish on the wings. Aish still plays predominately wing but Hughes has thankfully been moved back to defence. Johnson and Erasmus have played that role in recent times. Freddy has also spent a decent amount of time there in the last four weeks while still mostly forward. With our forward line, defence and centre clearances all improving dramatically in recent times I think the wings are our weakest position.

I think Chappy lost a bit of pace after baulking up a fair bit in the least year and a bit. I think if he can get a bit leaner and lose a bit of muscle mass in his extended rehab break that he has all the attributes to be a great winger.
My new best 22
B: Walker A.Pearce Ryan
HB: Young Cox Clark
C: Chapman Serong Noddy
R: Darcy Jackson Brayshaw
HF: Walters Treacy Freddy
FF: Fyfe Amiss Shultz

Switta O'Meara
Aish Hughes

Sub Johnson
Very close Aish or Johnson

I think Chappy lost a bit of pace after baulking up a fair bit in the least year and a bit. I think if he can get a bit leaner and lose a bit of muscle mass in his extended rehab break that he has all the attributes to be a great winger.
My new best 22
B: Walker A.Pearce Ryan
HB: Young Cox Clark
C: Chapman Serong Noddy
R: Darcy Jackson Brayshaw
HF: Walters Treacy Freddy
FF: Fyfe Amiss Shultz

Switta O'Meara
Aish Hughes

Sub Johnson
Very close Aish or Johnson

My best 22 still has Mundy in it.

People say I have a hard time letting go of things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely love the idea of Chappy and Noddy holding those wings. Chappy owning the defensive wing, floating across packs having developed on the HBF with Nod streaming forward.

I absolutely love the idea of Chappy and Noddy holding those wings. Chappy owning the defensive wing, floating across packs having developed on the HBF with Nod streaming forward.
Why is everyone obsessed with the idea of Chapman on a wing? Which of his attributes will translate on the wing? I think Wagner is a better fit or Clark. Brashaw would be the ideal one for me.

Why is everyone obsessed with the idea of Chapman on a wing? Which of his attributes will translate on the wing? I think Wagner is a better fit or Clark. Brashaw would be the ideal one for me.
good size, good tank, decent kick, defensive minded, and i think it would help getting him more involved in the game. too talented to be playing 4th or 5th fiddle in that backline

He's a perfect size, strong in the contest, and in the air with great hands. He's got excellent footy smarts and has demonstrated the ability to bite off tough 45-degree kicks into the corridor and find the pill on the outside while carrying the ball out of defense.

We haven't seen him operate in the forward half much so that's a definite question mark but as a defensive winger it may not matter as much.

He's a perfect size, strong in the contest, and in the air with great hands. He's got excellent footy smarts and has demonstrated the ability to bite off tough 45-degree kicks into the corridor and find the pill on the outside while carrying the ball out of defense.

We haven't seen him operate in the forward half much so that's a definite question mark but as a defensive winger it may not matter as much.
His height doesn't matter as the best wingers in the game right now are small. He has footy smarts yes but he isn't particularly quick and I doubt his tank is good enough at this stage. He isn't known for contested possessions and contested marks as well. I think he could play in the midfield but not as a winger so I'm happy where he is atm.

His height doesn't matter as the best wingers in the game right now are small. He has footy smarts yes but he isn't particularly quick and I doubt his tank is good enough at this stage. He isn't known for contested possessions and contested marks as well. I think he could play in the midfield but not as a winger so I'm happy where he is atm.

Your first point is not quite correct. There are 5 elite wingers as ranked by Champion Data - Daicos, Sidebottom, Gulden (small) and Wood, Martin (same height as Chapman).

Chapman is a great intercept mark and would beat most AFL midfielders in an aerial contest. He is also quick/agile for his size. He might get towelled up if you put him on the small forwards that Walker takes, but he is easily quicker than Aish and Henry for example.

We played Hughes there for a reason (athletically and defensively), and Chapman is quite similar in that regard, only with better footy smarts and kicking.

You question his tank, but his repeat running was one of his strengths as a junior with an elite score (21.6) in the yo-yo test that is not too far behind Brayshaw (22.4). He also won the WA combine 2km time trial with 6:20 (NOD was 2nd at 6:23), and both beat Gulden (6:30) for example. His AFL career has been interrupted with injuries, but he can quickly get to the required aerobic fitness.

Your first point is not quite correct. There are 5 elite wingers as ranked by Champion Data - Daicos, Sidebottom, Gulden (small) and Wood, Martin (same height as Chapman).

Chapman is a great intercept mark and would beat most AFL midfielders in an aerial contest. He is also quick/agile for his size. He might get towelled up if you put him on the small forwards that Walker takes, but he is easily quicker than Aish and Henry for example.

We played Hughes there for a reason (athletically and defensively), and Chapman is quite similar in that regard, only with better footy smarts and kicking.

You question his tank, but his repeat running was one of his strengths as a junior with an elite score (21.6) in the yo-yo test that is not too far behind Brayshaw (22.4). He also won the WA combine 2km time trial with 6:20 (NOD was 2nd at 6:23), and both beat Gulden (6:30) for example. His AFL career has been interrupted with injuries, but he can quickly get to the required aerobic fitness.
Idk how accurate champion data is because Daicos and Gulden rotate through the wing but don't predominantly play there. Also Langdon isn't even listed there. But your other facts are eye opening so thank you for sharing. It puts forward a pretty compelling case to trial Chapman on the wing! Only concern left is the soft tissue injuries he has.

It could totally fail but I love the idea of a really competent ball handler patrolling our wing, rather than just a big body or just a great runner.

I've got in my head that he can play the role that Acres did really well, bobbing up to take those intercept marks that created repeat i50s but with smarter execution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back