Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw goes alright in the guts. Always think there needs to be a pretty pristine argument for moving a player out of a position they are dominating.
A pristine argument? I don't have one of them.

We lost a winger who despite him being unpopular was a pretty handy player. Long term we need to find a replacement, especially while O'Driscoll is still in development. We also lost Cerra whose skill set may have been a fit. The result is a slight imbalance in out best 23 make up.

The only actual options we have, meaning players who don't need to learn the role, include Aish and Colyer, with Aish the only best 23 option. I'm fine with Aish there, but I like his around the ground diversity. To me is an effective role player rather than a threat.

We do have other options which in time may fill the position.

Brayshaw has played the wing position in his development period and is our best 2 way runner. Brayshaw on the wing is a threat.

Currently inside mid is a list strength for us and Brayshaw can be covered around the clearances. When the ball is in general play his role may be at the throw ins, bounce downs and ball ups.

Assuming inside mid is where Fyfe plays we probably have too many. Alternative positions for Fyfe, Serong and Brodie are a little unconvincing, whereas for Brayshaw and O'Meara they seem plausible.

If I had read that Worner and Henry had killed the time trials, fine. Wagner has a preseason to enhance his credentials. Long term maybe Johnson.

This might get me hated around these parts, this is just my opinion but I don’t believe O’Driscoll is any garantee to be in the best 22 let alone starting on the wing when all of Erasmus, Wagner, Corbett, Omeara, Frederick, Brayshaw, Worner, Henry being possibilities for the wing position.

A pristine argument? I don't have one of them.

We lost a winger who despite him being unpopular was a pretty handy player. Long term we need to find a replacement, especially while O'Driscoll is still in development. We also lost Cerra whose skill set may have been a fit. The result is a slight imbalance in out best 23 make up.

The only actual options we have, meaning players who don't need to learn the role, include Aish and Colyer, with Aish the only best 23 option. I'm fine with Aish there, but I like his around the ground diversity. To me is an effective role player rather than a threat.

We do have other options which in time may fill the position.

Brayshaw has played the wing position in his development period and is our best 2 way runner. Brayshaw on the wing is a threat.

Currently inside mid is a list strength for us and Brayshaw can be covered around the clearances. When the ball is in general play his role may be at the throw ins, bounce downs and ball ups.

Assuming inside mid is where Fyfe plays we probably have too many. Alternative positions for Fyfe, Serong and Brodie are a little unconvincing, whereas for Brayshaw and O'Meara they seem plausible.

If I had read that Worner and Henry had killed the time trials, fine. Wagner has a preseason to enhance his credentials. Long term maybe Johnson.
It's a big experiment to fill that hole with one of the best mids in the competition out of the position where he just won the MVP and came equal 4th in the Brownlow.

This might get me hated around these parts, this is just my opinion but I don’t believe O’Driscoll is any garantee to be in the best 22 let alone starting on the wing when all of Erasmus, Wagner, Corbett, Omeara, Frederick, Brayshaw, Worner, Henry being possibilities for the wing position.
Nah, they are all competing for the other wing position..Drizzy has his wing position sewn up. Barring a huge drop in form I see him playing all 25 games next season.

It is probably based on late last season form and Acres being gone. A lot will depend on preseason form and injuries. Especially with all those young (and new) guys.

It's a big experiment to fill that hole with one of the best mids in the competition out of the position where he just won the MVP and came equal 4th in the Brownlow.
We can't just keep adding midfielders to play on ball. We've lost Mundy but now will add Fyfe, O'Meara, Erasmus and maybe Johnson.

So far all of them have been talked about as potential wingers.

Neither Serong or Brodie seem to have alternate positions, and certainly not on the wing.

The most likely outcome for the vacant wing is that Longmuir settles on one of Aish, Wagner, Henry or Worner, with Aish the front runner.

He's at the start of his career, not locked in best 22. Pretty good start mind you.

We can't just keep adding midfielders to play on ball. We've lost Mundy but now will add Fyfe, O'Meara, Erasmus and maybe Johnson.

So far all of them have been talked about as potential wingers.

Neither Serong or Brodie seem to have alternate positions, and certainly not on the wing.

The most likely outcome for the vacant wing is that Longmuir settles on one of Aish, Wagner, Henry or Worner, with Aish the front runner.

Serong played (or at least was there at Centre bounces) on the wing a few times towards the end of this year.

Angus Brayshaw.

Won them a flag too.

Andy would do the same in a heartbeat if asked.
Well... not really. Angus finished 3rd in the Brownlow in 2018. He then had a crappy 2019 along with Melbourne as a whole. Him getting moved was a combination of a restructure and his not hitting the heights he had.

Looking at our top ten from the Doig, there are already two positions vacant.
Lobb and Logue.
Interesting that neither Mundy or Acres were there. Darcy another MIA.
We had a great 2022, but you’d think that 2023 is going to be even more
difficult to make that list.

obvioulsy anyones at risk if they dont perform, but clearly NOD has and has the backing of the coach, its his spot to lose at this point youd think

obvioulsy anyones at risk if they dont perform, but clearly NOD has and has the backing of the coach, its his spot to lose at this point youd think
NODDY’s point of difference from all our other wing options is he kicks goals, 10 from 12 games this year is a great return from a midfielder. Much better than Acres, Aish or any other options we currently have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting forwardline (R1)

Amiss Tabs Jackson
Corbett Switta Schultz

Bench (including +1): Walters, Freddy

B Ryan Cox Chapman
HB Clark Pearce Young
C O’Driscoll Brodie Aish
HF Fyfe Jackson Fredrick
F Walters Taberner Schultz
FOLL- Darcy Serong Brayshaw
I/C- O’Meara, Amiss, Switkowski, Walker
Sub- Henry
Emerg- Erasmus, Corbett, Treacy, Wilson,
Hamling, Sturt, Bainfield

B Ryan Cox Chapman
HB Clark Pearce Young
C O’Driscoll Brodie Aish
HF Fyfe Jackson Fredrick
F Walters Taberner Schultz
FOLL- Darcy Serong Brayshaw
I/C- O’Meara, Amiss, Switkowski, Walker
Sub- Henry
Emerg- Erasmus, Corbett, Treacy, Wilson,
Hamling, Sturt, Bainfield
Happy for any of those emergencies to get a game. See how the pre-season goes but you could add Emmett and Wagner too given they are mature agers, and Worner can press claims. But I am hoping Johnson will be the big mover in 2023.

After seeing Treacy come back in wicked nick and looking really solid up forward, I don’t want to see him wasting away in the 2s next season.
A tabs , amiss , Jackson , fyfe? Forward line looks to slow but JT has to find a way in. Maybe LJ is used around the ground more or floating HF.
Could use the sub like Henry or Colyer if we wanted to put more pace on the game. Either way JT needs to play and needs to be developed now

After seeing Treacy come back in wicked nick and looking really solid up forward, I don’t want to see him wasting away in the 2s next season.
A tabs , amiss , Jackson , fyfe? Forward line looks to slow but JT has to find a way in. Maybe LJ is used around the ground more or floating HF.
Could use the sub like Henry or Colyer if we wanted to put more pace on the game. Either way JT needs to play and needs to be developed now
Treacy Miles ahead, could not run until well into January (may have even been February) last pre-season. Everything would be feeling better, fitness, agility and length of kicking hopefully translates into a successful season.

Don't play Fyfe forward.

Use the year to transition from a Taberner forward line to an Amiss and Treacy forward line.

Use Jackson more as a wildcard than a structural forward. Bring a bit of havoc.

Don't play Fyfe forward.

Use the year to transition from a Taberner forward line to an Amiss and Treacy forward line.

Use Jackson more as a wildcard than a structural forward. Bring a bit of havoc.
If he's lost weight than he will probably be playing forward.

O'Driscall is a guy who I expect to explode next season. 188cm winger who is fast, agile, a workhorse, and great around the goals.

It was no suprise last season he got a hot spot in his foot, the man would not stop running.

When he first got a game I was frustrated that it wasn't Erasmus, and I thought the hype around O'Driscall was exaggerated due to a couple flukey goals. The more I watched the more I realised we are on to a proper monster.

Even after not being able to run for months due to the hot spot, he was rushed back in to the side to play a role which requires the most running. He's now a year older, an off season in the gym stronger to add size to that 188cm frame, another preseason fitter, with 12 games of experiance, to go along with hopefully a season with out major injuries.

That wing spot is O'Driscalls and the only chance of it not being Noddys is if he explodes to Cripps like territory imo

O'Driscall is a guy who I expect to explode next season. 188cm winger who is fast, agile, a workhorse, and great around the goals.

It was no suprise last season he got a hot spot in his foot, the man would not stop running.

When he first got a game I was frustrated that it wasn't Erasmus, and I thought the hype around O'Driscall was exaggerated due to a couple flukey goals. The more I watched the more I realised we are on to a proper monster.

Even after not being able to run for months due to the hot spot, he was rushed back in to the side to play a role which requires the most running. He's now a year older, an off season in the gym stronger to add size to that 188cm frame, another preseason fitter, with 12 games of experiance, to go along with hopefully a season with out major injuries.

That wing spot is O'Driscalls and the only chance of it not being Noddys is if he explodes to Cripps like territory imo
I think we should be prepared to be patient.

His first year didn't match the expectations set by the WAFL watchers, who were relatively bullish on what he could be, cue the calls that he was a bust.
Last year he showed some really good signs, including those great goals and ability to run the sort of patterns needed by the role, cue the calls he can't be dropped.

I very much want to see him go on with it, and I'm excited that he could be part of the permanent wing rotation, but it may not be a linear path to get there just like his short career hasn't been linear so far.
I do expect his progression is part of why we almost pushed Acres out though, creating space for the opportunity in the expectation it will be better for the team in 2-5 years.

NODDY’s point of difference from all our other wing options is he kicks goals, 10 from 12 games this year is a great return from a midfielder. Much better than Acres, Aish or any other options we currently have.
And it's a very beneficial point of difference for Noddy, and hopefully it continues.

Having said that I'm a big Aish fan, think his positioning on the wing is very good and he has great versatility to go with it which means he can fill a number of roles if needed.
He's not going to be an A-grader but a team needs those really solid B-graders, particularly ones who can help solve problems as required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back