Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic effort putting all that together. I was looking at it from a similar angle but couldn’t be bothered looking up everyone’s historical data to make it plausible the way you have.
In my opinion you’ve answered your own question about who gets the remaining 85% forward time by stating Amiss averaged 82% in his only year to date, so surely with a few more kms in his legs from another preseason he could find that extra 3% game time.
The conundrum of 4 talls in the forward line can be solved with Fyfe spending some time in the middle, say 60% forward and 30% mid.
I also like the idea of Frederick becoming more of a 3rd winger which allows JOM to spend some time forward.

Here’s my take on how it could look (left the backs & Rucks untouched as that seems to be settled)

MID WING:
Aish 80
O’Driscoll 70
Frederick 50

MID ON-BALL:
Brodie 70
Serong 65
Brayshaw 60
O’Meara 50
Fyfe 30
Switkowski 25

FWD:
Talls = 285
Tabs 85
Amiss 85
Fyfe 60
Jackson 35
Darcy 20

Small/Medium = 315
Schultz 85
Walters 85
Switkowski 55
Frederick 30
O’Meara. 30
Brayshaw 20
Serong 10
Interesting. I agree that some shuffling around of the fwd, mid and wing allocations could make Amiss work. One question, though, is whether Fyfe can still do 90% TOG, if it includes a 30% share of a full-time mid? 90% is usually the province of dedicated KPPs. Probably have to re-allocate 5-10% of his fwd time, I reckon.

Just going on history, I'm also not sure Longmuir will rotate the mids through the fwd line to that extent. Have to wait and see, I guess.

Frederick would be a good option for a wing. He has speed, can kick and kick goals.
We have a abundance of smallish forwards ,he could run a muck on a wing with Nod on the other.
He even said him self in match simulations ,he's been put on the wing and he doesn't mind it.

Peel Thunder 2023

E Hughes J Hamling J Draper

N Wilson H Davies C Wagner

K Worner M Johnson L Henry

T Emmett J Treacy S Sturt

J Corbett L Reidy S Kuek

Ruck M Knobel RR N Erasmus Rov T Colyer

Int C Williams E Benning

Peel Thunder 2023

E Hughes J Hamling J Draper

N Wilson H Davies C Wagner

K Worner M Johnson L Henry

T Emmett J Treacy S Sturt

J Corbett L Reidy S Kuek

Ruck M Knobel RR N Erasmus Rov T Colyer

Int C Williams E Benning

Good team - except that you forgot to find a place for Banfield :p

If it is a max of 14, I think I would expect (if all fit) the following to make that cut:

Erasmus, Johnson, Treacy, Henry, Corbett, Hughes, Banfield, Sturt, Wilson, Hamling, Wagner, Colyer, Knobel and Kuek.

I guess that means that theoretically Davies, Worner, Draper, Reidy, Williams and Benning could start in reserves.

If it is a max of 14, I think I would expect (if all fit) the following to make that cut:

Erasmus, Johnson, Treacy, Henry, Corbett, Hughes, Banfield, Sturt, Wilson, Hamling, Wagner, Colyer, Knobel and Kuek.

I guess that means that theoretically Davies, Worner, Draper, Reidy, Williams and Benning could start in reserves.
Given Reidy is the immediate back up wouldnt he and Knobel swap around?

Given Reidy is the immediate back up wouldnt he and Knobel swap around?

I thought that too but then thought Knobel is the ruck only guy and so there is a chance that Reidy is forced down because they want him to develop the Forward Ruck tools he has.

I still think Reidy is the Peel option too but its maybe not as obvious as first thought. I'd say it's more likely Knobel is in the ressies where they can get him develop more of the forward stuff there. I'd say its most likely both stay up.

I thought that too but then thought Knobel is the ruck only guy and so there is a chance that Reidy is forced down because they want him to develop the Forward Ruck tools he has.

I still think Reidy is the Peel option too but its maybe not as obvious as first thought. I'd say it's more likely Knobel is in the ressies where they can get him develop more of the forward stuff there. I'd say its most likely both stay up.
Just realised that Emmett is missing from Ysaye list which means an extra one in ressies. I think if we have a very clean injury list they’ll put Knobel in Peel Ressies first as there are lots of things they can work on at that level still for a developing ruck. From memory, Meek played quite a few reserves games at the start.

Think Reidy is one of the last ones they’ll put in reserves because he is the back-up ruck now. Knobel would be years or massive injuries away from getting a look in.

Good team - except that you forgot to find a place for Banfield

I’ll believe banners is on the outer when I see banners on the outer

Worner is wing in waiting IMO everyone is focused on if Henry can make the jump but Worner outplays him 60/40 the times I’ve seen them play together , way higher floor than Henry but he should get a shot soon to test his ceiling

No way is Knobel ahead of Reidy, they're the other way around.

Emmett's an interesting one. Could be one of the key pieces our forward line is missing and is coming in as a mature ager but seems to be on a slower burn at the moment (albeit from the very limited sample size we have in 3/4 of a pre-season).

Don't think he starts in the B22 but him playing well for Peel is the sort of upward pressure that will hopefully push Schultz, Switkowski, Frederick and yes, Banners.

The WAFL fixtures came out today. Round 1 in the WAFL for Peel starts on April 7th on a Friday. (Good Friday) which is the weekend of Round 4 in the AFL.

Any of our players on the fringe of AFL selection in the first 4 weeks will have to press their claims via training or perhaps in the couple of pre-season scratchies the WAFL usually has before their season starts.

Peel will have their hardcore of regulars including their leadership group. Hancock, Thorne, Bennell...I see Bell on their player profile page so it looks like he's going around again. Anderson would be a lock. Brady Grey's photo is there too. They've picked up a 21yo key defender from Claremont by the name of Jacob Blight.

Last edited:
Just realised that Emmett is missing from Ysaye list which means an extra one in ressies. I think if we have a very clean injury list they’ll put Knobel in Peel Ressies first as there are lots of things they can work on at that level still for a developing ruck. From memory, Meek played quite a few reserves games at the start.

Think Reidy is one of the last ones they’ll put in reserves because he is the back-up ruck now. Knobel would be years or massive injuries away from getting a look in.
Do this immediately:

David Alpay Hand GIF by FROM

With the list we have to pick from and a Marvel opener vs a wobbly Saints club, I’ll be surprised if we aren’t sitting atop the table after the first 4 rounds. Maybe even giving it a nudge after a full third of the season is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan Pearce Walker
Young Cox Clarke
Aish O meara Drizzy
Fyfe Tabs Shultz
Walters Amiss Switta

Darcy Brayshaw Serong.

Brodie, Jackson, Freddy, Chappy.

Far out. I genuinely have no idea how to get Erasmus or Johnson into this team, and that's forgetting that Banners always gets picked.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Young Cox Clarke
Aish O meara Drizzy
Fyfe Tabs Shultz
Walters Amiss Switta

Darcy Brayshaw Serong.

Brodie, Jackson, Freddy, Chappy.

Far out. I genuinely have no idea how to get Erasmus or Johnson into this team, and that's forgetting that Banners always gets picked.

Give one of them a vest

With the list we have to pick from and a Marvel opener vs a wobbly Saints club, I’ll be surprised if we aren’t sitting atop the table after the first 4 rounds. Maybe even giving it a nudge after a full third of the season is gone.
Why would you do something like this?? Pls refer up to that gif of a bleeding tree for next steps.

I, too, am becoming concerned at the number of supporters who are proclaiming their "quiet confidence" from the rooftops!
There are going to be epic melts here if we don't finish top 4 based on the sentiment here. Suspect JL would be very upset at how far ahead most of our fans appear to be.

There are going to be epic melts here if we don't finish top 4 based on the sentiment here. Suspect JL would be very upset at how far ahead most of our fans appear to be.
We're bullish for good reason I think.

We're coming into our window and anything less than top 6 would be disappointing.

Why?
This is his 4th year, having replaced a guy that got sacked in 2019 or not making finals. And the club has stated expectations of three top 4 finishes and at least one flag by 25. I think the supporters have been more than patient to be honest, time to let it out of the bag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back