Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

If we play Casboult I truly think we should just leave him in the goal square to be that monster forward similar to what Barry Hall used to do. Casboult is close to the best mark in the game if we get it to him one on one in the goal square I’m backing him in 9 times out of 10. Casboult is also a 100kg+ beast not many could out muscle him in the goal square he’d just clunk them and slot them through.
Agree completely
Opposition cant afford to leave him one out in the square so it opens up so many other oppositions with potential spares forward
Chol plays mainly as a loose forward and this will help him
Means King can move further upfield and provide links on the wing without worrying there'll be no-one behind him to kick to
Perversely having a relatively immobile hulk like Levi anchored in the forward line will help our speed of transition IMO

Was watching a replay of our match against the Crows and interestingly both Dermott Brereton and Alastair Lynch think the Casboult, King and Chol combination can work together.
I don’t think anyone denies that this combo can work, and work very well. Very good mix of tall forwards there.

The problem is that also planning on playing Luko and Jeffrey makes our forward line very tall, which is where I think a lot of people are looking at dropping Casboult at some point for better forward 50 balance.

I don’t think anyone denies that this combo can work, and work very well. Very good mix of tall forwards there.

The problem is that also planning on playing Luko and Jeffrey makes our forward line very tall, which is where I think a lot of people are looking at dropping Casboult at some point for better forward 50 balance.
Agree. Levi has been terrific but he is not going to be a part of our future forward line. Jeffrey is the one that excites me more than King and Chol. He could be anything with his athletic skill set.

Have to agree. I think chol can become more of a crash the pack type player( he did improve a lot in that area last season). Casboult is great back up though and will get a run at some stage

I don't think it matters much with Jeffrey as he doesn't give up anything at ground level or with pace.

My Suns 2023 Team

Chol, King, Rosas/Holman
Ainsworth, Lukosius, Jeffrey
Hollands, Miller, Powell
Weller, Ballard, Ellis
Collins, Graham, Farrer/Long
Witts, N. Anderson, Rowell
Swallow, Davies, Fiorini, J. Anderson,
Sub: Flanders
Emg: Humphrey

Depth: Budarick, Andrew, Moyle, Casboult, MacPherson, Sexton, Sharp, Lemmons, Day, etc.

I would like to have Casboult in the team, but I cannot fit him in due to team balance. I would also like to have Farrar, Long, Budarick and Lemmons in the backline, but I can’t fit them all in. I have also switched Ellis and Powell at Dew’s instigation. Likewise, for having Graham at fullback.

Last edited:
Was watching a replay of our match against the Crows and interestingly both Dermott Brereton and Alastair Lynch think the Casboult, King and Chol combination can work together.
Definitely can work. Chol serves as that 2nd ruck, whole King and Levi are the permanent forwards. Just all depends on the structure they want to go with, what will work best

Definitely can work. Chol serves as that 2nd ruck, whole King and Levi are the permanent forwards. Just all depends on the structure they want to go with, what will work best
Will be very interesting to see how they set up in the preseason matches. Personally I would prefer 2 talls, 2 smalls (Rosas and Benny), and 2 medium forwards out of Jeffrey, Holman, Hollands and Humphrey.

My Suns 2023 Team

Chol, King, Rosas/Holman
Ainsworth, Lukosius, Jeffrey
Hollands, Miller, Powell
Weller, Ballard, Ellis
Collins, Graham, Farrer/Long
Witts, N. Anderson, Rowell
Swallow, Davies, Fiorini, J. Anderson,
Sub: Flanders
Emg: Humphrey

Depth: Budarick, Andrew, Moyle, Casboult, MacPherson, Sexton, Sharp, Lemmons, Day, etc.

I would like to have Casboult in the team, but I cannot fit him in due to team balance. I would also like to have Farrar, Long, Budarick and Lemmons in the backline, but I can’t fit them all in. I have also switched Ellis and Powell at Dew’s instigation. Likewise, for having Graham at fullback.
It's like The twilight Zone
I've entered a parallel Universe where Crab is our best fullback

It's like The twilight Zone
I've entered a parallel Universe where Crab is our best fullback

Good point. I don’t think he is our most complete defender either. But I do like him releasing Collins or Ballard to be the interceptor across half back. One of those guys could save a serious amount of goals if playing on the opposition's third tall. In saying that, I do see the risk of Graham playing on a key forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham is definitely improving.
Played 3,7,12,15 games over the past 4 years
High number of 1%ers (3rd in the league last year)
Gives away very few free kicks for a key defender
Kicking slowly getting better and ever so slightly more adventurous

He's a big guy, would like to see him exert himself on contests a little bit more.

As we've said before, Ben Mackay did virtually nothing - didn't even get to 20 games until he was 23 years old.
Caleb will be 22 throughout next season.

Between Atkins, Ace, Corbett, markov, macpherson, tsitas, day, andrew, Graham, Davies

We probably had 50+ games from guys that were borderline or clearly not AFL level last year.

I’m pretty confident that with improvement from some of the young players. A few new recruits and hopefully some better luck with injuries, I think that number will be far lower this year.

I think these guys probably cost us a few tight games, so keeping them to a minimum will be a big boost for us next year.

Between Atkins, Ace, Corbett, markov, macpherson, tsitas, day, andrew, Graham, Davies

We probably had 50+ games from guys that were borderline or clearly not AFL level last year.

I’m pretty confident that with improvement from some of the young players. A few new recruits and hopefully some better luck with injuries, I think that number will be far lower this year.

I think these guys probably cost us a few tight games, so keeping them to a minimum will be a big boost for us next year.
Of that list I can only see Davies, Andrew (maybe) and Graham (only if injuries insist) making the best 22 and NOT every week. Recruits over summer and the likes of Constable, Sharp etc will make it very hard for most to get in unless we have (another) horrific injury season. I'm almost excited but don't dare let myself get too far ahead of reality.

Of that list I can only see Davies, Andrew (maybe) and Graham (only if injuries insist) making the best 22 and NOT every week. Recruits over summer and the likes of Constable, Sharp etc will make it very hard for most to get in unless we have (another) horrific injury season. I'm almost excited but don't dare let myself get too far ahead of reality.
And you'd hope that Davies and Graham improve to the point where they can be considered semi-reliable AFL level players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back