Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the knocks on us was that our main opposition seem to have got stronger over the off season through recruitment.

Geelong - Bruhn, Bowes, Henry
Lions - Dunkley Ashcroft Gunston
Richmond - Taranto Hopper
Melbourne - Grundy
Collingwood - Mitchell McStay
Us - Francis..........

I'm sure I've missed a few but the point is we don't look to have improved. However after watching the first two trials, it is clear that our improvement will come from within. Gulden looks like he's going to take the competition by storm. Logan presented beautifully up the ground last night and showed that he can become the link between our mids and deeper forwards. Ladhams showed he can potentially be the bullocking ruck who will compliment our mids. Campbell reminded us of his enormous talent and why we took him so high. Improvement from just these four will make a massive difference to our team.

Of course it's only trials and there is a long season ahead but I'm hopeful for a strong 2023, built on growth from within.

Also I think it was a good sign how our reserves players seemed to fit into the side's structure and play well. Last night Roberts, Mclean and McAndrews seemed to play most of the game. And Edwards, Sheldrick and Rankin got a taste late.

In a long 23 round 7 month season. It helps if young reserve players can seemlessly come into the side and play a role for a few games when needed.

Can't help but think Horse is 4 talls curious. Logan, Buddy, Reid, and McLean in the same line up.

Beveridge is trialling Darcy, Naughton Lobb and JUH right now

A very impressive lineup no doubt.
Do you think gulden and Warner put any time into their opposite number?

Or would you leave the defensive side of things to rowbottom, mills and ?lesser extent Parker?
Four of our mids - Parker, Mills, Rowbottom, Gulden - have that defensive stuff like tackling, chasing, pressuring, blocking baked into their DNA, even if they're playing the most attacking roles out of the lot.

So I wouldn't leave it to any of them. I would expect it from all of them.

I think we need to assess who is still in the injury room and who is ready to play. Paps & Mills look to be ready to go they were rested for soreness.

But we will definitely be without Hickey and Clarke. Fox is very doubtful.

So, Ladhams comes in. Cunningham for Clarke. If Fox does not play then Campbell retains his spot. The sub will probably be Matty Roberts.

The team:

Hayward Franklin Papley

Heeney Reid McDonald

Stephens Mills McInerney

Florent P. McCartin Lloyd

Rampe T McCartin Blakey

Followers: Ladhams, Parker, Gulden

Interchange: Rowbottom, Warner, Campbell, Cunningham

Sub: Roberts

McLean could come into the line up if we wanted to stretch an opposition.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need to assess who is still in the injury room and who is ready to play. Paps & Mills look to be ready to go they were rested for soreness.

But we will definitely be without Hickey and Clarke. Fox is very doubtful.

So, Ladhams comes in. Cunningham for Clarke. If Fox does not play then Campbell retains his spot. The sub will probably be Matty Roberts.

The team:

Hayward Franklin Papley

Heeney Reid McDonald

Stephens Mills McInerney

Florent P. McCartin Lloyd

Rampe T McCartin Blakey

Followers: Ladhams, Parker, Gulden

Interchange: Rowbottom, Warner, Campbell, Cunningham

Sub: Roberts

McLean could come into the line up if we wanted to stretch an opposition.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You won't find too many to bet against that! Might spring a tactical move and leave Bud at home and take McLean but I doubt it. Gould's sore back probably costs him a chance.

Hoping our fwd line for the first game is something like

Hayward Heeney Mcdonald

Papley Mclean Reid

bench rotation forward - Cunningham

Heeney & Mcdonald can use their gut run to work up and down towards the wings and back to our fwd 50, hopefully getting clearer paths to lead and mark. Hayward could do a similar role or just stay within our fwd 50.
Mclean & Reid working in tandem as aerial threats for our long bombs. Papley as the crumber.
Cunningham was impressive as a fwd tonight. Imo it'll translate well to the regular season.

Good mix all complimenting each other & the type of likely entry into our fwd 50.

Buddy only plays if he's a 100% fit otherwise he's a liability, he can't move well enough to be an effective threat or apply defensive pressure.
I agree.

The question I have is: would the greatest forward of the modern era be prepared to end his career in the VFL?

And would the Swans have the resolve to do so?

I have a feeling that McLean will play more games than not this year. In between Buddy needing a spell and Reid having the odd niggle, Hayden is going to get a lot of games and will be a very important member of the squad. We may even see Francis used in the forward line if we cop a few injuries together.

I have a feeling that McLean will play more games than not this year. In between Buddy needing a spell and Reid having the odd niggle, Hayden is going to get a lot of games and will be a very important member of the squad. We may even see Francis used in the forward line if we cop a few injuries together.
Doubt that Francis is ahead of Amartey and also Edwards has shown some real promise. My guess is he'll stay down back.

Can't help but think Horse is 4 talls curious. Logan, Buddy, Reid, and McLean in the same line up.

I am wondering the same given we now have a sub you can activate whenever to replace someone later in the game.

Might be perfect to get 3 quarters out of Buddy and replace him with a mid later on in the game.

I'm bracing myself for a year of coaching decisions that will, from the outside looking in, seem illogical and frustrating to us spectators.

I'm talking distribution of CBAs, choice of the sub and/or when to activate them, TOG percentages, etc.

I reckon Horse & co are gonna make player management a massive priority for this season, and I think they have a squad capable enough to be able to afford to do so.

The four of them are different enough that it might work against some opponents. Not my personal preference but Reid is good defensively and Logan seems to be getting there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing for sure is if you're injured or out of form then it'll be hard to get a look back into the 22 when you're out of it. Spots are at a premium across the lines.

One thing I liked over the pre-season games that I kinda hope we persist with in the real season is Florent taking some kick-ins. I feel like he can offer more adventurous kick-ins with his line-breaking and also his ability to pull off ambitious kicks, than what Lloyd can offer in that capacity.

I've always preferred Lloyd getting the handball receive anyway, so he can run through the corridor like he was doing back in 2016/2017, when I believe he was at his best, as opposed to getting so many of his touches so deep in defence.

One thing I liked over the pre-season games that I kinda hope we persist with in the real season is Florent taking some kick-ins. I feel like he can offer more adventurous kick-ins with his line-breaking and also his ability to pull off ambitious kicks, than what Lloyd can offer in that capacity.

I've always preferred Lloyd getting the handball receive anyway, so he can run through the corridor like he was doing back in 2016/2017, when I believe he was at his best, as opposed to getting so many of his touches so deep in defence.
Agree.
Florent and Blakey can both drill the ball lower and faster. Lloyd taking hand pass or second kick is probably better tactically and often sees us over the wing.
Alternatively when Campbell is playing D he can take that second kick and go long or take a long kick in.
Third option is Blakey, Fox or Florent running it out.
Plenty of options.

One thing for sure is if you're injured or out of form then it'll be hard to get a look back into the 22 when you're out of it. Spots are at a premium across the lines.
This applies so much to Will Gould. Had it not be for his back injury, he would've played the trials and had a chance to push for R1 selection as Fox's replacement. Now he starts the season in the sane predicament as last year waiting for an injury to the Mccartins or Rampe, with Francis possibly ahead anyway. It saddens me to call it but I think Gould will not play a game of AFL for us..........

Why isn’t Campbell taking them?

If he’s playing in the back 6 - then imagine him sending them 70m from the goal square.

We found with Dawson doing that that it was actually fairly easy to defend. Great to use as the second kick IMO.
It could work as a once off set play from a super quick transition but I wouldn't want him taking kick ins all the time

Pretty hyped for Campbell these days

As mentioned, he's going to rip some kick ins just as a start

His kick is just so good. Just gob smacked every time something leaves his boot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back