Prediction 2023 - Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

I like it when people place their Matzah Balls on the table…..It can make for a cleaner cut with the Ginsu knife.

When McCreery’s name is mention by posters, I take it with the grain of salt that it comes. For they know not what they say. Today’s game is based on trying to get the ball back from your opponent when they get it. So you need extraordinary closing speed and then the power and strength to repeat that in order to enact a turnover. Then you need the transitional speed to run and carry the ball. Of which, McCreery has demonstrated throughout this season and more notably during crucial parts of our close wins. What a lot of you are missing is his ability to run and carry. And not to mention his booming kick. I equate him to Bruzzy. In that they will enter where angels fear to tread. And that is something you can not teach. It’s a skill set that comes from inside you. And it’s those types that allow other to shine as well……Oh yeah and he can kick a long goal.

Lipinski has shown in his first year that he has some class that we don’t have in the middle. So really you can’t have enough of that. Yeah sure, noone is irreplaceable and if the kids show value then I’m all for it. But the competition lies in all of their spots. I wouldn’t be giving Mitchell or Adams any more respect than Lipinski. One is in the way up and the other two are much closer to the end than the beginning.

No issue with the Ruck call. Cox is our best at the moment. But all need to be played on merit. In the best available combinations. And if you don’t carry your weight then others will take your spot.

I love bringing on new kids. But don’t believe the training report hype. Allan is nowhere near it and will be lucky to see games this season if we are in deep contending mode. Way too many ahead of him and I’m still yet to see this speed everyone is talking about. Focus for him is to get some consistent senior footy into his developing body. And look towards late 2023 for a debut game or push in 2024 for a debut. Ryan and Richard’s might be closer to taking Nicks spot. Even they aren’t ready as yet, they are definitely closer than Allan.

As much as it is obvious that Sidey is falling off the perch. Just as long serving stalwarts have done in the past. Didak comes to mind. He will still command his spot until he can no longer do it consistently or another takes it from him. Which should be evident by years end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good overall analysis there Ronnie ,very well balanced overview of the lay of the land at Pieland this season , I’m backing Allan to be getting a taste of senior football this year. Just bear in mind , the height of Allan as a mid , and at the rate he shot up over a short period of time , and you know what they say about “talls” , they take time , and he is in that discussion. very exciting times ahead for this kid , the club and us supporters , provided he is willing to put the hard yards in , and there is no reason to believe he won’t , I look at his pedigree also and listening to what has been coming out of his father’s mouth . He knows his boy .

A bit of a different spin.

The days of positional lines are long gone....so i'm not even bothering with that.

Backs:
Talls: Frampton, Moore
Mid interceptors: IQ, Howe,Maynard
High half backs (main role is transition defense to offense and be the main 'users'...effectively mids) : Noble, Pendles, Crisp, Naicos

Mids:
Rucks: Cox,
Wings: Sidey, Jaicos, WHE
Defensive Mids (stationary at stoppage. first hands. Play behind the ball, get to contests): Mitchell, Adams
Offensive mids / High half fwd (movement at stoppage & play ahead of the ball): JDG, Lipinski, Mccreery

Fwds:
Talls: checkers, Mcstay,
Deep: Elliot, Ginni

Sub....Carmichael / WHE (whomever they don't choose for the third wing role).

Cox gets first crack at Ruck. Mcstay can play the extra few mins if required.
Hard to find a spot for both Cameron & Cox as we'd lose too much running power.

Majority of the team picks itself.
Really only WHE (Carmy), Cox (Cameron), Frampton (Dean/Murphy), Ginni/Mccreery (Hill) that you could argue would be in /out.

But i'd stick with what i know for R1 and see where it goes from there.....

For me the biggest changes to 2023 from 2022 are pretty exciting.

1 Mitchell - he is the class pick up, an A grader picked up cheap fixing a need. Had the capacity to make us much better.

2 Hill - No where near as certain as Mitchell but has a lot of potential. Prior to his testicular cancer nis career was on a trajectory similar to what a lot of the top small forward/mids do. Might take some time due to time lost but not a lot. Has done 5 pre seasons now so would really hope he is ready t go asap. Think he McCreery and Ginny can do some damage

3 Dean/Frampton/Kelly - Need I of them to come to the level of a servicable KPB. Apart from Dean dont think there is any potential to be more than that. If we get a guy who can hold a spot in the 22 will be a major win. Unfortunately I think there is a reasonable chance none of them is that guy.

4. Ginnivan. Think he will go to the next level and will be a long term excellent small forward

5. McInness to show something. has potential more than most of our young players. Love to see him come on

6. Allen Play some games in 2023 and show signs he has potential to be an excellent player

7 IQ and ND continue trajectory to A grade and beyond

8 Ash Johnson to be regularly mercurial, not that thats really possible.

1 Mitchell - he is the class pick up, an A grader picked up cheap fixing a need. Had the capacity to make us much better.

2 Hill - No where near as certain as Mitchell but has a lot of potential. Prior to his testicular cancer nis career was on a trajectory similar to what a lot of the top small forward/mids do. Might take some time due to time lost but not a lot. Has done 5 pre seasons now so would really hope he is ready t go asap. Think he McCreery and Ginny can do some damage

3 Dean/Frampton/Kelly - Need I of them to come to the level of a servicable KPB. Apart from Dean dont think there is any potential to be more than that. If we get a guy who can hold a spot in the 22 will be a major win. Unfortunately I think there is a reasonable chance none of them is that guy.

4. Ginnivan. Think he will go to the next level and will be a long term excellent small forward

5. McInness to show something. has potential more than most of our young players. Love to see him come on

6. Allen Play some games in 2023 and show signs he has potential to be an excellent player

That's a good analysis except you may have missed a large key forward who will be important to how we go 😃

That's a good analysis except you may have missed a large key forward who will be important to how we go 😃
I was just comong back to add P.S McStay can make a big difference this year. Not sure in 5 years

Peter Daicos was regularly mercurial. If only he had some sons…..
MERCURIAL

: having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury. 3. : characterized by rapid and unpredictable changeableness of mood. a mercurial temper.

For me Daics wasnt mercurial. While he could bring around rapid change it was entirely predictable that he would

He was regularly miraculous not mecurial

MERCURIAL

: having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury. 3. : characterized by rapid and unpredictable changeableness of mood. a mercurial temper.

For me Daics wasnt mercurial. While he could bring around rapid change it was entirely predictable that he would

He was regularly miraculous not mecurial

Mercury was regularly Daicosial.

Forward line still looks undersized with Krueger unavailable. Obviously McStay is one tall KPF. But Checkers and Johnson are more like third tall forward options. The only other option I can think of is to have Cox and Cameron rotating with each other between ruck and the forward line, which isn't ideal. I'd much rather two genuine monster KPFs. On the bright side at least we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to medium & small forwards: Elliott, DeGoey, Ginnivan, Hill, McCreery, Carmichael, Johnson & Checkers.
Why not? It worked just fine last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it when people place their Matzah Balls on the table…..It can make for a cleaner cut with the Ginsu knife.

When McCreery’s name is mention by posters, I take it with the grain of salt that it comes. For they know not what they say. Today’s game is based on trying to get the ball back from your opponent when they get it. So you need extraordinary closing speed and then the power and strength to repeat that in order to enact a turnover. Then you need the transitional speed to run and carry the ball. Of which, McCreery has demonstrated throughout this season and more notably during crucial parts of our close wins. What a lot of you are missing is his ability to run and carry. And not to mention his booming kick. I equate him to Bruzzy. In that they will enter where angels fear to tread. And that is something you can not teach. It’s a skill set that comes from inside you. And it’s those types that allow other to shine as well……Oh yeah and he can kick a long goal.

Lipinski has shown in his first year that he has some class that we don’t have in the middle. So really you can’t have enough of that. Yeah sure, noone is irreplaceable and if the kids show value then I’m all for it. But the competition lies in all of their spots. I wouldn’t be giving Mitchell or Adams any more respect than Lipinski. One is in the way up and the other two are much closer to the end than the beginning.

No issue with the Ruck call. Cox is our best at the moment. But all need to be played on merit. In the best available combinations. And if you don’t carry your weight then others will take your spot.

I love bringing on new kids. But don’t believe the training report hype. Allan is nowhere near it and will be lucky to see games this season if we are in deep contending mode. Way too many ahead of him and I’m still yet to see this speed everyone is talking about. Focus for him is to get some consistent senior footy into his developing body. And look towards late 2023 for a debut game or push in 2024 for a debut. Ryan and Richard’s might be closer to taking Nicks spot. Even they aren’t ready as yet, they are definitely closer than Allan.

As much as it is obvious that Sidey is falling off the perch. Just as long serving stalwarts have done in the past. Didak comes to mind. He will still command his spot until he can no longer do it consistently or another takes it from him. Which should be evident by years end.

What’s the evidence Sidey is falling off the perch? His 2022 season was excellent and proved he’s not passed it.
Geel had 9 players the same age or older than Sidey in their Premiership team.

You would love him in a Pies jumper thou FJ. Bit like Ginni with us , the oppo get all riled up over him , but if he was playing for them , they would be lapping it up like we do with unbridled passion.
So true mate. I hate his jogging on the spot celebrating. Hate him more than anyone.
If he was ours I'd shout him a beer.
🤣

My take…

1. Am right with you there. Am hoping he is more Joel selwood than Levi greenwood though. Sam Mitchell may have let him go for a reason

2. Hill does look v exciting as a pressuring small forward. Lots of tricks, but poor fitness after 5 preseasons, and not exactly Eddie Betts yet. Just need some patience and don’t expect Charlie Cameron type numbers just yet is all I’m saying

3. Frampton is our best bet here imo. I also like Dean, but PLEASE again be patient here. Some posters talking him up more out of hope from what I can see. He is a 195cm young defender who reads the play well, but has average athleticism. Vs the modern day key forwards, he may struggle a bit. V mocha shane wakelin type. So calls for him to lock down FB in todays game are quite premature.
Whilst Kelly has the better athleticism, he lacks the nous of Dean. And at 194cm, is a little bit in no man’s land

4. Ginni is fascinating. Last year was no accident, as he has elite footballing traits, though in the body of a skateboarder. Won’t catch opposition by surprise this year, so could easily become a better player, but with less goals. I’d tip him for another 35 - 45 though, as he’s so smart. Ie if his current teammates knew shy he’s going to do but still can’t stop him, what chance

5. McInnes should make you happy this year. Whether it’s in the twos or in the ones when injury paves a way for him, he should def have patches that excite. Just be warned that his kicking is iffy though. I’d rate it as average to below, Vs Billy who is elite, and Ash J who rates as very good. His marking and explosiveness is v good to elite though. A slightly poor man’s Chris tarrant / jake stringer, with a better ground ball game.

6. Ed Allan I’d say wait patiently. As discussed, he has 10 players in front of him for a spot atm, and he is still learning the caper, and how to develop and use his arsenal. One more pre-season please…

7. Lock it in, barring serious injury. Primed and ready to shine, both of them.

8. Ash also ready to make a major impact imo. Hope his head is in the right place to want to dominate, as he has elite skills and athleticism. Reads it so well and has great vision also. Can’t teach these things.
For those critical of his finals campaign, he was due imo. Thrust from virtual country footy to AFL finals within two years, which is pretty crazy, but needed time to mature and be able to deliver under the v bright lights of finals footy, plus fan expectations and opposition niggling. Reckon he knows what is expected now and how to handle it… but pls don’t get distracted by any of the above Ash. And please fellow fans, give him your utmost support. Plays on support and confidence, and will deliver in spades If everything clicks.

Floreat pica

Given the way we play now, we don't lack F50 entries, like we did in 2021, so don't think Moore will be needed forward.

At least there is someone here posting some sense…..

Pushing Maynard and IQ up the ground is very different to removing the best intercept marking KPD in the competition. Just to see if he can play forward again. Why?

Having him and Howe sweeping up all that enters the defensive line knowing they have another big guy in Frampton there will make us lethal. And I’d suspect that our aim this year is to reduce our points Against by at least 1/2 goals.

Let’s just keep him where he is and play to our strengths. The quick transitioning. That’ll give our forwards and mids plenty of goal opportunities.

What’s the evidence Sidey is falling off the perch? His 2022 season was excellent and proved he’s not passed it.
Geel had 9 players the same age or older than Sidey in their Premiership team.

It’s all up to Sidey. If he is stubborn and wants the frontline positions he will fall off the slope pretty quickly. His covering the ground has become glacial. His disposal has always been a myth and trying to do the cutesy little dink kicks is starting to get him in to trouble.

I see one saving grace for Sidey. He could easily kick 40+ goals a season. He still has the best goal sense I’ve seen since Eddie Betts. And that could happen for at least 3 more years. But it’s whether he wants to play that role.

Unfortunately, I think his ego will end up playing the bad guy in this and curtail him from eeking out a few more years.

My best 23 for Round 1:

Howe, Frampton, Maynard
Pendles, Moore, Naicos
Jaicos, Mitchell, Sidebottom
Elliot, McStay, JDG
McCreey, Mihocek, Ginni

Cox, Adams, Crisp

IQ, Noble, AJ, Lippa & Super sub Carmichael.

I think we’ll play 2 of Ginni, McCreey or Hill.

AJ has to play if Cameron and Freddie don’t play. I want two talls forwards at most times.

Last edited:
2023 best 22:

FB: Murphy Frampton Howe

HB: Quaynor Moore Maynard

C: Jaicos Degoey Sidebottom

FOLL: Cameron Mitchell Pendlebury

HF: Johnson McStay Elliott

FF: Ginnivan Mihocek McCreery

INT: Crisp Naicos Adams Lipinski

SUB: Hill / Noble / WHE

Could very easily replace Murphy with Noble and Johnson with Hill.

Will be very interesting to see how WHE fits into the backline, as he’s been a walk up start for years, could he be the super sub all year with the ability to play multiple positions?

Not sure if Fly will go 2 rucks, or just use McStay as the relief ruckman.

All in all, this is by far our strongest and most balanced list in a very long time. The depth is incredible, all of the below should be putting a lot of pressure on spots through the mid/forward roles.

DEPTH: McInnes Draper Carmichael Harrison Macrae Bianco

Go Pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back