Prediction 2023 - Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

No way. He has to win back the confidence of his teammates. He has plenty of talent but was almost non-competitive against the Swans. You can have a bad game and still chase and tackle.
It’s one game in his first year in the big time & to be honest you can’t speak for his teammates anymore than I can. He had a great year after he debuted in Adelaide. I’ll stick with him.

COLLINGWOOD BEST 23​

B Maynard, Murphy, Quaynor
HB Pendlebury, Moore, Nick Daicos
C Sidebottom, De Goey, Josh Daicos
HF McCreery, McStay, Lipinski
F Ginnivan, Mihocek, Elliott
Foll Cameron, Mitchell, Crisp
IC Howe, Adams, Hoskin-Elliott, Noble
Sub Hill

I don't think we'll go in with that backline though, especially given we have Geelong first up
The HUN always select a conservative lineup that mirrors the previous side too much. Murphy, WHE, Noble and Hill are most likely not inclusions for Cox, Frampton and perhaps a Carmichael and Arlo Draper or Jakob Ryan. Maybe WHE holds his spot but that's iffy. Nick Daicos won't be playing off HB; I'll expect him to be a midfielder now.

The HUN always select a conservative lineup that mirrors the previous side too much. Murphy, WHE, Noble and Hill are most likely not inclusions for Cox, Frampton and perhaps a Carmichael and Arlo Draper or Jakob Ryan. Maybe WHE holds his spot but that's iffy. Nick Daicos won't be playing off HB; I'll expect him to be a midfielder now.
The Hun being conservative? Say it isn't so KS.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s one game in his first year in the big time & to be honest you can’t speak for his teammates anymore than I can. He had a great year after he debuted in Adelaide. I’ll stick with him.
I really think there is an inordinate amount of animosity or dissatisfaction directed towards AJ based off his prelim performance. As you said, it was his first full year as an AFL player. He's not going to demonstrate perfection week in, week out.

I think it's a little bit odd that AJ has some of those feelings directed towards him now but the same people gave Henry a lot of leeway and "he'll learn" type comments for much of the same behaviours in-game.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

AJ’s performance in the prelim was Leon-like.
I agree with Pragmatic Shill - I don't think AJ was fully fit for the Preliminary Final and he's form up until then was fantastic, I'm very bullish about him. That said, I reckon he's more of a chance to be in our side at the end of the year than he is at the start of it if our list is free of injury.

I agree with Pragmatic Shill - I don't think AJ was fully fit for the Preliminary Final and he's form up until then was fantastic, I'm very bullish about him. That said, I reckon he's more of a chance to be in our side at the end of the year than he is at the start of it if our list is free of injury.
Agree i think he showed enough to be pretty excited if he does the work. Maybe not round 1 as you say but if he becomes clear best 22 in 23 will be a major step forward for us.

Yep. Donuts Davis we call him , exquisite skills , but boy , he went to water in finals .
Apart from that one time he won us the premiership by saving the drawn grand final with an individual act of brilliance breaking a 46 minute goal drought

Two biggest roars ever I've ever heard, Daicos inverted banana WC final 1990, and this one

Last edited:
lol. I can guarantee you Frampton plays Round 1 and Dean doesn't. Dean is an intercepting defender, he doesn't lock down.
Sorry to intrude but Frampton is an intercepting 200cm defender aswell. Hardly a lockdown def

My guess, and that's all it is, is that the backline is going to be all based on interception, with everyone expected to close up on his man when the situation calls for it. Our problem last year was that we were one really tall backman short, and the likes of Howe and Maynard had to man up on the likes of J. Cameron and S. Reid. They made it to where they had to be, but were not big enough on too many occasions. I think this because of the recruitment of both Frampton and Dean. They are big enough, but are intercepting players in essence.

Murphy's spot is in danger because he is the same sort of player but shorter. The other two will have to attack the ball with a lot of purpose to force him out though - he is hard to beat in that department.

Howe is in rather less danger because of his ground play and his kicking, rather than his marking which is his elite attribute of course.

I expect that Daicos will go on ball, but would not be surprised if he changes with Pendlebury off the half back flank, staying on the ground a lot more than most on ballers. That would present a real problem for the opposition defensive forward. Both are fit enough for this.

Noble, Maynard, Moore and Quaynor would be the other backs most of the time. This is a very attacking back line.

Apart from that one time he won us the premiership by saving the drawn grand final with an individual act of brilliance breaking a 46 minute goal drought

One bit of brilliance in 100 minutes of football , he didn’t win us the flag , he helped get us there , spare me, was duly dumped from the Grand Final side after his insipid display in this game , notwithstanding that one moment of individual forward craft of nailing a great goal, his replacement for the Granny the following week kicked the first goal in the opening minutes and provided a solid 4 quarters of contributing to the outcome of the result .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One bit of brilliance in 100 minutes of football , he didn’t win us the flag , he helped get us there , spare me, was duly dumped from the Grand Final side after his insipid display in this game , notwithstanding that one moment of individual forward craft of nailing a great goal, his replacement for the Granny the following week kicked the first goal in the opening minutes and provided a solid 4 quarters of contributing to the outcome of the result .
We don't win without that goal, it had been 46 minutes without a goal, they were storming us and if someone didn't do something extraordinary we wouldn't have stopped the rot

We don't win without that goal, it had been 46 minutes without a goal, they were storming us and if someone didn't do something extraordinary we wouldn't have stopped the rot
You just don’t know that.

You could pitch another alternative reality where we play someone else instead of Leon (who I loved watching) and they contribute more and that scenario isn’t created in the first place.

Regardless, there’s a spot for Johnson. But he certainly damaged his brand with that performance.

You just don’t know that.

You could pitch another alternative reality where we play someone else instead of Leon (who I loved watching) and they contribute more and that scenario isn’t created in the first place.

Regardless, there’s a spot for Johnson. But he certainly damaged his brand with that performance.
To my satisfaction I know it, he kicked it and we won the flag, you could offer me a million bucks to take some other scenario and see if we still win it but I'll keep the flag thanks

Yet , if we had another player in the side we might not have been in that predicament in the first place , considering he contributed sweet F A besides that goal for the entirety of the match.

Yet , if we had another player in the side we might not have been in that predicament in the first place , considering he contributed sweet F A besides that goal for the entirety of the match.
Sure they could have been more effective but the Saints were always going to go on that roll and there was only two players on the ground for mine that could have stopped it, Dids couldn't get near it and what Leon did was a freak show considering the pressure and the moment, it was worth 15 possessions from anyone else

Howe came fourth in our best and fairest, and Sidebottom fifth ahead of our other winger Josh Daicos. Furthermore I saw Sidebottom play some fantastic negating roles during the year, most notably twice on Ed Langdon. He’s clearly one of the best wingers in the game. I can see why some aren’t as big on Howe as they once were but his leadership is invaluable as is his intercept marking. He’s probably our worst user in defence but that is offset by all the good that he offers.

McCreery goes under 10 disposals more often than he goes over and he’s never had 15 touches a game. He cannot find the football. He’d be hopeless as a midfielder. Yes he had one or two bursting runs from wing/half-back later in the year but that doesn’t make him a midfielder

People who are down on Howe are going to be embarrassed by him next year imo, another preseason under his belt since the knee and confidence back up as well as likely not being asked to play undersized will see him back to his best.

Ripping post. My favourite part is when you made absolutely no points at all - you just disregarded Copeland results because it goes against your wacky dreams and gave the classic “I won’t bother explaining it to you because you can’t understand” which usually translates to “I can’t elaborate further”.

Beau can run hard and tackle, but he has not displayed any ability whatsoever to accumulate nor win a football against other midfielders. He wouldn’t be a capable midfielder at state level let alone in the big league. You cannot seriously think playing him in the guts and taking away time from actual midfielders will make us better. He will get absolutely pantsed.

Sidebottom is clearly in our top 10 players, and arguably top five. Howe top 10-12. If you think replacing them with Ruscoe and Bianco will give us a crack at a flag then all power to you but it’s a fantasy.

I actually think Beau can develop his midfield game given time, you need to remember most small ground forwards struggle for possession numbers.

Id actually give him small stints on ball and get him to run with quality players to lead him to the ball and learn the running patterns required.

Gee, its very hard to fault Noble's performance in 2022. His relentless run and carry of the footy often broke through (or got over) opposition defensive lines. More than most other players, I reckon Noble was the embodiment of our new "take risks and move it forward quickly" game plan. He would have a lot of credits in the bank with the coaches.

Last edited:
Gee, its very hard to fault Noble's performance in 2022. His relentless run and carry of the footy often broke through (or got over) opposition defensive lines. More than most other players, I reckon Noble was the embodiment of our new "take risks and move it forward quickly" game plan. He would have a lot of credits in the bank with the coaches.
Noble's not bad, but is he the best player available? A good 2022 campaign does not necessarily justify round one selection.

Last edited:
True - but the Melb game should give us the confidence about his capabilities in a tight game.
PF was hopefully an outlier.
Yeah, lets hope. He still is young in terms of experience, so there is plenty of optimistism, if he wants to work hard enough. With the addition of Mcstay, makes it a bit harder for him though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back