BigFooty Official 2023 Bigfooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

PICKS AND ORDER
Round 1
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Harley Reid
Pick 2 - Gold Coast Suns - Jed Walter (Matched bid) [Picks 24, 26 and 27 used to match, 203 points in the bank for next match]
Pick 3 - North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
Pick 4 - North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
Pick 5 - Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Nick Watson
Pick 7 - Gold Coast Suns - Ethan Read (Matched Bid) [Picks 30 and 34 used, 58 points for next match]
Pick 8 - Melbourne - Nate Caddy
Pick 9 - GWS - Ryley Sanders
Pick 10 - Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
Pick 11 - Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched Bid) [Picks 46, 48, 50 and 51 used, 101 points for next match]
Pick 12 - Essendon - Caleb Windsor
Pick 13 - Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
Pick 14 - Melbourne - James Leake
Pick 15 - Sydney - Zane Zakostelsky
Pick 16 - St Kilda - Ollie Murphy
Pick 17 - Adelaide - Harry Demattia
Pick 18 - North Melbourne - Mitch Edwards
Pick 19 - Gold Coast Suns - Jake Rogers (Matched Bid) [Picks 36, 60 and 65 used, 45 points for next match]
Pick 20 - GWS - Luamon Lual
Pick 21 - North Melbourne - Arie Schoenmaker
Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
Pick 23 - Hawthorn - Will McCabe (Matched bid) [Picks 42 and 45 used, 124 points for next match]
Pick 24 - Collingwood - Archie Roberts
Pick 25 - Adelaide - Taylor Goad
Pick 26 - St Kilda - Lance Collard
Pick 27 - Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

Round 2
Pick 28 - West Coast Eagles - Charlie Edwards
Pick 29 - Geelong - Joel Freijah
Pick 30 - Carlton - Ashton Moir
Pick 31 - Richmond - Archer Reid
Pick 32 - Brisbane - Angus Hastie
Pick 33 - Essendon - George Stevens
Pick 34 - Collingwood - Will Green
Pick 35 - Gold Coast Suns - Will Graham (Matched bid) [Pick 65 gobbled up. Deficit of 190 points applied to Gold Coasts 2023 2nd round pick]
Pick 36 - Fremantle - Luke Lloyd
Pick 37 - Hawthorn - Calsher Dear (Matched Bid) [Pick 46 used]
Pick 38 - Essendon - Tew Jiath
Pick 39 - West Coast - Wil Dawson
Pick 40 - Brisbane - Phoenix Gothard
Pick 41 - St Kilda - Harvey Johnston
Pick 42 - Richmond - Koen Sanchez
Pick 43 - Melbourne - Clay Hall
Pick 44 - GWS - Lachie Charleson

Round 3
Pick 45 - Sydney - Caiden Cleary
Pick 46 - Fremantle - Shaun Mannagh
Pick 47 - Brisbane - Cooper Simpson
Pick 48 - Brisbane - Joe Fonti
Pick 49 - Sydney - Jack Delean
Pick 50 - Western Bulldogs - Kane McAuliffe
Pick 51 - North Melbourne - Logan Morris
Pick 52 - West Coast - Will Patton
Pick 53 - GWS - Vigo Visentini
Pick 54 - Fremantle - Sam Clohesy
Pick 55 - Essendon - Michael Rudd
Pick 56 - Hawthorn - Nathan Philactides

Round 4
Pick 57 - Hawthorn - PASS
Pick 58 - Fremantle - Thomas Anastasopoulos
Pick 59 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 60 - Brisbane -PASS
Pick 61 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 62 - Western Bulldogs - Kade De La Rue
Pick 63 - Carlton - Aiden O'Driscoll
Pick 64 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 65 - Port Adelaide - Jack Callinan
Pick 66 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 67 - Geelong - Billy Wilson
Pick 68 - GWS - PASS
Pick 69 - Carlton - Sam Van Rooyen
Pick 70 - GWS - PASS
Pick 71 - Collingwood - Will Lorenz

Round to get Port Adelaide to reach the two minimum selections
Pick 72 - Port Adelaide - Tarkyn O'Leary

MINI DRAFT (2024 First Round)
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Jagga Smith
Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Josh Smillie
Pick 3 - Hawthorn - Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 4 - Gold Coast Suns - Sid Draper
Pick 5 - Fremantle - Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
Pick 6 - Richmond - Christian Moraes
Pick 7 - Geelong - Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
Pick 8 - Essendon - Tom Gross
Pick 9 - Adelaide - Sam Lalor
Pick 10 - Gold Coast Suns (From Western Bulldogs) (Pie 4 Life to select) - Leo Lombard (GCS Academy)
Pick 11 - Sydney -
Pick 12 - St Kilda - Archer Day-Wicks
Pick 13 - Melbourne - Kade Herbert
Pick 14 - Fremantle (From Port Adelaide) - Phoenix Hargrave
Pick 15 - GWS - Murphy Reid
Pick 16 - Carlton -
Pick 17 - Brisbane -
Pick 18- Fremantle (From Collingwood) -
Pick 19 - Sydney (From North Melbourne PP) -
Pick 20 - Gold Coast Suns (From North Melbourne PP) -

Last edited:
Great picks for the Tiges Smythe
Looking at the list, wearing the list managers cap, I just think best available KPP, then a smart, tough player with upside in multiple positions. Get two like that and they have something to work with. Glad you liked it.

Pick 45 - Caiden Cleary
Pick 45 Caiden Cleary
Height: 182cm
Weight: 79kg
Position: Midfielder

What do I like about the player? Having selected (for both Brisbane and Sydney) players that have significant athletic strengths, we move to Caiden Cleary who is just a strong footballer with "average" (for AFL) athletic ability. Having really drive to get to each contest and have an impact, I really like his balance and disposal by hand around the contest, but also that he is a player that is always on the move and whom is also always looking to keep the ball moving. He has also played on the outside as well this year and I think would be a generally reasonable option out there as well.

What are the weaknesses? He is kicking is just what I would call average, and perhaps the bigger average bit is the decision making with his kicking; with his disposals by foot being somewhat characterised by long bombs.

Why Sydney? Very good value local pickup with a bit of versatility in what he can play (Wing, Midfield). A bargain at Pick 45 and to one train of thought surprised that no one bid earlier - I was really contemplating Sydney's draft with him until I saw Delean was still available....

Chris25 your up

Last edited:
Pick 46 - Shaun Mannagh
Pick 46 Fremantle - Shaun Mannagh

Shout out to the champion of the mature aged pick. It’s no Casey Voss in the first round, but I hope this does you proud. Gone but not forgotten. We miss you Knightmare.

Some picks just make sense. And with Schultz leaving, Fremantle need immediate help in the forward line. So why not the 26 year old half forward/mid from the VFL.

I do like a greedy player and that’s Mannagh. If he’s within 60m of the goals, he may as well be the only player on his team. And I’m okay with that. He can crumb, lead, mark, run forward from the middle. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to make the transition to the top level, and I don’t think the drop off from Schultz would be that significant. Plus Mannagh might give you some midfield minutes too if you need a wrecking ball like impact.

Back over to Ysaye

Picks 47, 48, 49 - Cooper Simpson, Joe Fonti, Jack Delean
Writeups later today.....

Pick 47 Cooper Simpson
Height: 181cm
Position: Midfielder / Forward

What do I like about the player? Co-Captain of the Dandenong Stingrays, Cooper Simpson is an attacking midfielder who has a bit of pace about him and can really hit the scoreboard. I think that whilst he has predominantly played as a midfield, his set of strengths should see him still useful on the outside or down forward.

What are the weaknesses? Was injured for quite a bit of the season. A below average size midfielder at 181cm. He also doesn't use his kicking weapons as much as he could at the moment, preferring to deal in fast handballs whilst in close - however I think this is something that can be addressed at the next level training.

Why Brisbane? Again a player with some speed but also a midfielder who hits the scoreboard a bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 48 Joe Fonti
Height: 189cm
Position: Wing / Half Back

What do I like about the player? Fonti is a line breaker and interceptor and someone I can definitely envisage lining up on a wing and doing breaking runs. A 20m time of 2.884 seconds is top line fast, and he also had reasonable results in the agility and vertical leap results. On the field he uses this to really breaks the lines. He is also a very good intercept mark around the ground; part of this is his good sense of the play and his positioning (which would be useful if he is playing a fat-side wing role).

What are the weaknesses? Kicking - I have seen it be pretty good when not under pressure, but he also has had nightmare games where he has run at low percentages. Having said that I am seeing (in the situation Brisbane picked him) as being a wing, and in many respects he is no worse a kick than many of the best wingers, and in an AFL environment I see this picking up so that it just average.

Why Brisbane? If we are thinking that he plays wing then he is a line breaking wingman who can also be two way, positioning and taking intercept marks through the middle of the ground and driving the ball back into the forward fifty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 49 Jack Delean
Weight: 77kg
Position: Half Forward / Midfielder

What do I like about the player? Skillful, smart player who works hard, tackles well and kicks goals; kicking 53 from 20 games at all levels. I like his kicking both in terms of kicking for goals and disposing to others, and his positioning and timing makes up a bit for being only an average speed player.

What are the weaknesses? I guess the main query is whether he has the speed to play as a small forward at AFL level? And if not whether he can make it further up the ground?

Why Sydney? I was going to stop picking after Cleary but I just think that Delean is someone who fits the Sydney team and can add some more forward power either as a half forward or up in the midfield somewhere, and I just see him as someone who can definitely be significant at an AFL level.

Last edited:
I like both of Chris25 picks for Fremantle.

When I look at Fremantle's team sheet, I often struggle to see where the goals will come from and both these two selections address that need.

Lloyd is a Gunston type third tall and Mannagh is a Schults replacement.

Nice piece of work there, getting positional needs players, with value draft capital and Mannagh plays day 1.

When I look at Fremantle's team sheet, I often struggle to see where the goals will come from and both these two selections address that need.

Nice piece of work there, getting positional needs players, with value draft capital and Mannagh plays day 1.

Thanks.

Luckily it sounds like the club has recognised multiple avenues to goal as being a problem finally. The last few years we’ve put all our eggs in surrounding a couple of guys with defensive forwards and hoping they can do it all.

It’s why someone like Sturt needs to play every game. He just naturally finds the goals. And you have to accept he might go quiet for long stretches of the game.

Shout out to the champion of the mature aged pick. It’s no Casey Voss in the first round, but I hope this does you proud. Gone but not forgotten. We miss you Knightmare.

Some picks just make sense. And with Schultz leaving, Fremantle need immediate help in the forward line. So why not the 26 year old half forward/mid from the VFL.

I do like a greedy player and that’s Mannagh. If he’s within 60m of the goals, he may as well be the only player on his team. And I’m okay with that. He can crumb, lead, mark, run forward from the middle. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to make the transition to the top level, and I don’t think the drop off from Schultz would be that significant. Plus Mannagh might give you some midfield minutes too if you need a wrecking ball like impact.

Back over to Ysaye
Wasnt it that ex Geelong and south freo guy aswell he had rated in the top 20 that never went

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's no Woodcock ;)

Writeups later today.....

Pick 47 Cooper Simpson
Position: Midfielder / Forward

What do I like about the player? Co-Captain of the Dandenong Stingrays, Cooper Simpson is an attacking midfielder who has a bit of pace about him and can really hit the scoreboard. I think that whilst he has predominantly played as a midfield, his set of strengths should see him still useful on the outside or down forward.

What are the weaknesses? Was injured for quite a bit of the season. A below average size midfielder at 181cm. He also doesn't use his kicking weapons as much as he could at the moment, preferring to deal in fast handballs whilst in close - however I think this is something that can be addressed at the next level training.

Why Brisbane? Again a player with some speed but also a midfielder who hits the scoreboard a bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 48 Joe Fonti
Height: 189cm
Position: Wing / Half Back

What do I like about the player? Fonti is a line breaker and interceptor and someone I can definitely envisage lining up on a wing and doing breaking runs. A 20m time of 2.884 seconds is top line fast, and he also had reasonable results in the agility and vertical leap results. On the field he uses this to really breaks the lines. He is also a very good intercept mark around the ground; part of this is his good sense of the play and his positioning (which would be useful if he is playing a fat-side wing role).

What are the weaknesses? Kicking - I have seen it be pretty good when not under pressure, but he also has had nightmare games where he has run at low percentages. Having said that I am seeing (in the situation Brisbane picked him) as being a wing, and in many respects he is no worse a kick than many of the best wingers, and in an AFL environment I see this picking up so that it just average.

Why Brisbane? If we are thinking that he plays wing then he is a line breaking wingman who can also be two way, positioning and taking intercept marks through the middle of the ground and driving the ball back into the forward fifty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 49 Jack Delean
Weight: 77kg
Position: Half Forward / Midfielder

What do I like about the player? Skillful, smart player who works hard, tackles well and kicks goals; kicking 53 from 20 games at all levels. I like his kicking both in terms of kicking for goals and disposing to others, and his positioning and timing makes up a bit for being only an average speed player.

What are the weaknesses? I guess the main query is whether he has the speed to play as a small forward at AFL level? And if not whether he can make it further up the ground?

Why Sydney? I was going to stop picking after Cleary but I just think that Delean is someone who fits the Sydney team and can add some more forward power either as a half forward or up in the midfield somewhere, and I just see him as someone who can definitely be significant at an AFL level.
I honestly don't think you've taken into account what Lions needs are half_backs and mid/wingers are not a massive need probably need a small forward who you picked and depth in KPP especially when we have Quality midfielders next year in the draft

Pick 52 - Will Patton
Pick 52. West Coast :westcoast:. Will Patton. 192 cm79 kg. Tall Defender. West Adelaide.

download-14.jpg

Will Patton is a very smart footballer, who has a lot of attributes that I believe will see him become a quality AFL player.

Firstly what you notice about him, is that he is an excellent decision maker and thats a crucial asset to have, when you are moving the ball out of the defensive half.

Good intercept mark and the other aspect of his aerial game that I like is this, he doesn't get cute by half, his first objective is to kill the aerial contest for his opponent , either by destroying the ball so that the forward cant take a mark or when he decides to take the mark himself.

Thats the impressive part of his game, if he cant mark it himself, then he sure as hell makes it that his opponent wont be able to do so either, sort of Basic Defending 101.

He displays great leadership qualities and rallies the defensive unit, and its clear to see that he directs traffic to ensure that all the defenders are in the right place and remain switched on, he was the SA Captain and lead numerous times by example.

He does have some versatility as to just where he plays in the backline, as he can play on tall's and smalls, the fact that SA didn't have any KPD of quality this year, meant that Patton often had to play on the opposition KPF and concede height, he nevertheless did an admirable job.

His kicking is very tidy and his ability to assess if he needs to kick short for a link up kick, or to go longer down the line is a really impressive trait to have to his game, rebounding defenders who master this always seem to look sure and reliable.

A string to his bow that has solid appeal to me, is his talent to be the designated kicker in after a point is scored.
It's a skill that rarely mentioned, yet is a vital component of any defensive unit, Patton has performed these duties for SA and at Club level with aplomb.

He is Mr Consistent in effort and he has a real strong contested side to his game.

Sure he needs to work on a few aspects of him game, one being his endurance and the other being his ground level game as he is prone to give away a few clumsy overzealous free kicks.

He isn't a sexy pick, because what he plays with is more tactical nous than flair, he plays the percentages and plays them exceedingly well.

He is in equestrian terminology, a work horse and not a show pony or dressage horse.

Repeating myself here, but his biggest attribute, is his high footballing IQ.

Terrific kid, very coachable and will help drive standards at whichever Club that lands him.

Some kids have a certain assurity about the way they play, now that may not necessarily make them a star, but what that trait give them is better odds to make it at the next level.

I believe Will Patton is one of these kids that is as bust proof as they come, I am not predicting that he becomes a star, rather that he becomes a good solid best 22 player that has a long and successful AFL career - I see a 150 + game player.

Funnily enough I see him at the Eagles, filling a very similar role to the one just vacated by another former SA Captain , that being a tall defender, who executes the teams kicking in duties, and that player is the recently retired Shannon Hurn.

Those from the West Coast Board, will know that I have been talking General Patton's virtues up, for some time now.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think you've taken into account what Lions needs are half_backs and mid/wingers are not a massive need probably need a small forward who you picked and depth in KPP especially when we have Quality midfielders next year in the draft
You can’t draft what’s not there.

First, there’s not a Lions BigFooty member selecting for us, so it’s a bit much to expect a non Lions follower to have a handle on our list needs.

Secondly, there’s literally no talls worth drafting in our draft range. The ones that are there-a-bouts have limitations, which is why they are still available and were skipped over, which I’ve highlighted on our board.

If I had been drafting, I’d have taken Gothard and Simpson with our first two picks.

Then I would have trawled the Rookie Me draft guide for a winger for our third pick, and probably passed on our fourth pick (because we know we’re not using it in the real thing).

If the rumours are true that we’ve committed to Bruce Reville and Kyle Dunkley in the rookie draft, you know this draft isn’t deep.

Last edited:
Pick 53 - Vigo Visentini
Pick 53 - GWS - Vigo Visentini

Vigo-Visentini.jpg
204 cm 99 kg
Ruck
Sandringham Dragons

I swear I'm not picking guys I've just written the profiles for so I can copy them, it's just a happy coincidence

----
STRENGTHS:
  • Competitiveness
  • Physicality
  • Rate of development
  • Ruck craft
  • Work rate
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Composure
  • Versatility
With such a strong midfield consistently surrounding him at stoppage, Visentini did his part through the season to give his rovers first use and the opportunity to take the ball on the run heading forward. His taps were often placed to advantage when he got a full hand on the ball from the ruck, and Visentini gradually improved his ability to follow up his ruck work as the season went on. Particularly after the National Championships, he became a genuine clearance threat once the ball hit the deck and looked more confident with ball in hand around the ground.

Visentini has played best this season when he hasn’t had to share a significant chunk of the ruck duties, playing what was arguably his best game of the year for Vic Metro against WA when fellow ruck Will Green was left out. He registered 34 hitouts for the game, with 12 of those to advantage, along with 15 disposals in what was a pretty complete performance for a ruckman.

A common theme for Visentini was his development throughout the year, and his improved ability to impact around the ground. Part of that was acting as a ‘one kick behind’ ruckman, sweeping up on hurried kicks from opposition teams. Visentini took 28 of his 36 marks in the Talent league this season in his final six games, whilst also increasing his hitout and disposal numbers significantly in the same time period.

Visentini’s impact at centre bounces was somewhat limited due to his timing of his leap and a lesser leap height than other rucks in the draft frame, but his work at stoppages around the ground makes up for it. His physicality and competitiveness stands out when he can get an arm on the opposition ruck, trying to force them away from the drop zone of the ball to give himself the best opportunity to serve his midfielders well with well placed taps.

At the next level, Visentini’s two main focus’ will be on improving his composure, to allow him to hurt opposition more when he takes a mark from a down the line kick, as well as developing in a secondary position to allow himself more opportunity to have a sustained impact across the entirety of the four quarters.

---------

Essentially this pick was always going to be a tall that could potentially take the place of Lachie Keeffe in the next couple of years. Yes it's likely Elliott Himmelberg joins us end of next season for that role, but I'd still like someone younger as well. For me it was really difficult to split Evan Smith, Xavier Walsh and Vigo Visentini, so much so that my solution was to use a random list generator;

vigo on top.PNG
And whilst I don't think Vigo quite has the same ceiling as those two, or the potential to impact on the scoreboard like them either, I think he's got the highest floor regardless, and projects as someone that'll be a number 1 ruck at some stage of his career, or have a prolonged career due to teams always wanting to trade in secondary rucks. In terms of replacing Keeffe, the requirements are a) Tall, b) can ruck, c) competitive, and Vigo ticks all three boxes.

Also Considered; Evan Smith, Xavier Walsh

Chris25 up next

Back over to Ysaye

He is a good fit for what freo needs. I would like if we take him though as he would also be a good fit for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back