Analysis 2023 Bloods' Performance Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

None of those numbers surprise me. We've played a lot of mediocre footy this year. The mystery is the dropoff over last year. Injuries we can blame for a certain proportion but the number of games we've given up in the last quarter (or against the Lions in the 2nd-3rd quarters) is obviously not from injury. Is it Fitness? Players playing injured? No heart? Not playing for the coach? A mystery wrapped in an enigma shrouded by a who freaking knows.
I imagine it's all that you've described.

It doesn't need to be one of those things entirely. Only needs to be a little bit of lacking heart, a little bit of doubt in the coach, a little bit of poor fitness, a little bit of a drop off in pre-season intensity, and the wheels can fall off.

If you think about how much needs to go right in a twelve month period to win a flag, you can imagine how little needs to go wrong in a twelve month period to suddenly be a mile off a flag.

None of those numbers surprise me. We've played a lot of mediocre footy this year. The mystery is the dropoff over last year. Injuries we can blame for a certain proportion but the number of games we've given up in the last quarter (or against the Lions in the 2nd-3rd quarters) is obviously not from injury. Is it Fitness? Players playing injured? No heart? Not playing for the coach? A mystery wrapped in an enigma shrouded by a who freaking knows.

Why wouldn't it be from injury? Surely having key players missing in those games went some way to influencing those results? Particularly when those players include many of our most experienced players.

One simple example would be McLean/Amartey are nowhere near as fit or as athletic as Reid/McDonald which means this impacts our ability to clear the ball from defence, our ability to transition the ball at pace and our ability to lock the ball in the forward half.

Franklin is playing while hurt/sick as we have no fit tall forwards.

One simple example would be McLean/Amartey are nowhere near as fit or as athletic as Reid/McDonald which means this impacts our ability to clear the ball from defence, our ability to transition the ball at pace and our ability to lock the ball in the forward half.

Franklin is playing while hurt/sick as we have no fit tall forwards.
Or that McLean/Armatey just aren’t as good as Reid/McDonald.

And Buddy is in sharp decline.

With the players we are loosing this year and they had so much influence last season , Reid , hicky , Franklin , paddy and older rampe.

Unless we have a big off season who thinks we have much more upside into the next few years?

We haven’t beaten anyone this season

Could potentially be bottom dwellers for a while

With the players we are loosing this year and they had so much influence last season , Reid , hicky , Franklin , paddy and older rampe.

Unless we have a big off season who thinks we have much more upside into the next few years?

Likely to be more of the same next year. Can't see us realistically contending for top four again until 2025 and that's if we nail the next two off-seasons. Still a few on our list that play regularly that shouldn't be/won't be in our next (hypothetical) premiership side.

I think we will be fine. Last year our 4th quarters was our best quarter and we all complained we were crap in the first always giving up leads.

Well its reversed this year. We can’t finish and that can most likely come down to a fitness issue from a later preseason making the GF. We wont make finals this year, we’ll have plenty of time to work on player tanks and I reckon we’ll shoot up next year.

Call me optimistic but I can see a world where we shoot up the ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've gone backwards in our goal kicking, our clearances and composure in the final quarter. Is it all just mental strength?
Not all but considerably. I think our fitness is worse, and we have really missed Reid and Paddy as well as the other injuries to talls.

But I think we've got a lot worse at moving the ball forward and that's mostly confidence. We were great to watch last year, whereas this year there's only really been flickers of that.

I’m bored this evening, so I thought I’d run a hypothetical.

10 seconds left, 2 points down & the Swans mark it 40 out, directly in front.

It’s a shot after the siren to win it!

I’ve ranked the Swans in terms of who I’d have the most confidence in to kick the winning goal.

In order from most confident to least:

1. Parker
2. Campbell
3. Florent
4. Gulden
5. McInerney
6. Papley
7. McDonald
8. Mills
9. Lloyd
10. Sheldrick
11. Chad Warner
12. Franklin
13. Blakey
14. Cunningham
15. Wicks
16. Armatey
17. Rampe
18. McLean
19. Rowbottom
20. McCartin
21. Fox
22. Heeney
23. A random drunk from Row 1.
24. Hayward

Chad was doing well earlier but Gulden has probably overtaken him. Parker has been very consistent so probably 3rd. They are probably the top three in that order. Florent possibly 4th.

mtooler in shambles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back