Live Event 2023 Brownlow medal live chat

Who wins the Brownlow

• The Bont wins

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Someone undeserving and not called "The Bont" wins

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it strange that Bontempelli has been a golden child from day 1 yet frequently gets shafted in these kind of awards. Between this, the 2021 Brownlow, the 2014 Rising Star and even the 2014 GOTY he's a regular bridesmaid despite being, in my humble opinion, far and away the best player in the competition and would have been a deserved winner of all of them.

No. Please don’t say this. Don’t even think this. Just don’t.

He has too much integrity, loyalty and decency, so it won't happen, but I just wish our playing list would realise how lucky they are and how much he has to carry them every bloody week. Maybe they might actually wake up and perform.

As they stand right now they are better, but any voting system will end up being corrupted if there's a lot riding on it. As soon as they become the most sought after gong (and bookies start betting on it) they'll be just as controversial.

Why not combine and average out all three - AFLPA, AFLCA and AFLMA? The larger the number of voters and the more diverse their perspective the more likely we'll get a fair result.
I think too many individual voters in the AFLPA to really be corrupted. The players have enough respect for the important awards and it won’t be like the Lions players back in the day ****ing around with the most courageous player votes.

AFLCA voting is at least attributable to a single person so shenanigans would get called out publicly. It’s wild that Neale got 3 votes for his 20 possession game but the complaints are about the umpires as a collective, not the 3-4 individuals who clearly ****ed that one.

Let’s be honest if Bont didn’t play a game where opposition coaches put work into him but our coach allows opposition mids to run free - he’d have a couple of brownlows, that’s the difference.
Bont misses out on an easy 3 or 6 votes every year by not getting to play against the Bulldogs who would absolutely let him off the chain.

Bont missed a Brownlow win because we lost games we should have won.
We lost games we should have won for a few obvious reasons:
Rohan Smith
Josh Bruce
Mitch Hannan
Tim O'Brien
Cody Raak
Jordon Sweet

Those 6 should be given their marching orders immediately.

Poor Bevo having to overcome the negativity from those 6 listed above.
And those players apart from Bont, Liber, Treloar and L Jones who underperformed in critical games were also being dragged down by those 6 above.

I have no doubt with those 6 out of the club, Bevo will rediscover his coaching magic, the campaigners who cruised along while Bont busted his arse carrying them in critical games will knuckle down, and next year we'll get Bont his Brownlow, and get back to losing elimination finals.

The man has too much integrity and class, but you wouldn't blame Bont if he said 'sod this, I'm off to a more consistent, reliable and better coached team, a team that'll allow me to win a medal and another flag'.

Fancy being that deranged in your hatred of the club that you’d be ok with the captain and all time best player leaving for personal accolades.

Luckily he has more ticker than some of our supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale +9 on expected votes...

F6309T7bMAA94hR (1).jpeg

R6 was the killer, but he picked up plenty of 3s when was expected to poll 2. Bont could hardly pick up a vote in any of our losses but how Dale polled ahead of him against the Suns in R11 is just ridiculous.

F63z92WaQAAXg0C.jpeg

For me the Brownlow is getting less and less relevant with each year, yes I'm salty after poor finishes to the year costing us Brownlows in 96, 21 and 23 but beyond that it's becoming painfully clear that the umpires have no idea and are just looking at a very basic stat sheet after the game. Frankly I don't blame them as it shouldn't be their job and research suggests that they don't want the responsibility either.

The AFLCA MVP and AFLPA MVP for me are should be held in a similar vein.

As they stand right now they are better, but any voting system will end up being corrupted if there's a lot riding on it. As soon as they become the most sought after gong (and bookies start betting on it) they'll be just as controversial.

Why not combine and average out all three - AFLPA, AFLCA and AFLMA? The larger the number of voters and the more diverse their perspective the more likely we'll get a fair result.

I'm not convinced Coaches Award is any better. I always feel like Bevo sneaks Bont a couple of votes here and there when he can get away with it, I'm sure every other coach does the same. In any case a point scoring system probably isn't the best way to find the best player, I think Bont is often the best on by an absolute mile, but those 3 votes can count the same as a 20 possession game where several players could get 3. How many times has Macrae stolen the Ching Medal off Bont?

The AFLPA probably gets it right most of the three big awards and its essentially a bunch of guys, half who don't even watch the other games, going that bloke is the best.

Fancy being that deranged in your hatred of the club that you’d be ok with the captain and all time best player leaving for personal accolades.

Luckily he has more ticker than some of our supporters.

Don't want it to happen, don't think it will happen, just saying I would hate it to happen and no, I wouldn't be OK with it. I would be absolutely shattered.

Also, no, I don't hate the club, far from it. Love the club, hate the way we go about things at times.

Bont has played out of his skin this year and all I'm saying is he needs more assistance, both on and off the ground. More contributors to share the load.

Neale +9 on expected votes...

View attachment 1814024

R6 was the killer, but he picked up plenty of 3s when was expected to poll 2. Bont could hardly pick up a vote in any of our losses but how Dale polled ahead of him against the Suns in R11 is just ridiculous.

View attachment 1814028

For me the Brownlow is getting less and less relevant with each year, yes I'm salty after poor finishes to the year costing us Brownlows in 96, 21 and 23 but beyond that it's becoming painfully clear that the umpires have no idea and are just looking at a very basic stat sheet after the game. Frankly I don't blame them as it shouldn't be their job and research suggests that they don't want the responsibility either.

The AFLCA MVP and AFLPA MVP for me are should be held in a similar vein.

Umpires have NFI about umpiring, stands to reason they have even less idea about which players have influenced a game.

Polly Farmer was 1,000% correct all those years ago about umpires.

"Farmer has had several digs at umpires over the years. In 1997 he appeared on The Footy Show and said: "The umpires have no right to give (Brownlow) votes.

"The reason why they are umpires is because they didn't have the ability or the courage or desire to become a footballer."

Speaking of Dunkley, would have thought he had a better season than 4 votes. I guess with Kneel getting all 6 makes it a bit hard
It’s funny the media is slobbering over how Dunks plays full time mid now at the Lions when he is playing more of a shutdown role if anything. Definitely didn’t commit to this with us.

I hope the players and Bevo and whoever else, 'I'm looking at you 'The Board'... hang their heads in shame. Disgraceful end to the season. Who knows if Bont would have won it if Nick Daicos wasn't injured, it doesn't matter, there are always injuries and other influences in a season that allow a player to win. It sure as hell would have been a deserving result for Bont if his team mates, were good team mates, and hopped off Bont's back, pulled their own fingers out, and not pulled their collective heart strings.

Back