Prediction 2023 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

And Daicos w' 38 touches against the bears would have to be the best performance not to receive a single vote.

By deciding to be an umpire one is virtually choosing a life of abuse. This isn't helping their cause. :)
Gulden not getting 3 votes for 42 and 2 is equally criminal.

my other half is a dog supporter so I watch them most weeks.

Bontempelli cruises through a lot of games and then bursts for a quarter or so. He has patches of playing incredible and unstoppable contested ball and imo its usually after half time.
Gee I don't see him that way at all. He seems to always be in a link of chains and doing the hard yards.

in my younger days in melb, it was common knowledge that players bleached their hair for brownlow votes....and they used to wear anklets like this... it won keith greig two brownlow medals....he wasnt a bad footballer. He used to hang out alone on the gasometer wing at north and play with himself mostly....modern players could learn a lesson

018ededd0257685980e92babf96a5a73dbce54d4.jpg

Except for this year, where he was arguably not even top 5

You don’t need to be top 5 to win the Brownlow. If u get a bunch of BOGs then play terrible the rest of the year, you’ll poll better than a bloke who is consistently one of the best players on the ground but rarely number 1. That’s the flaw of the voting system.

Look at how many votes behind 1st Neale was in the AFLCA. He polled what ended up to be the critical 3 votes in a game he received zero coaches votes in.

Hardly that aligned
The trouble with this assessment and most of what's written about the Brownlow is it misses the big picture to argue around the minutiae.

It doesn't matter that a few votes might seem badly chosen out of the 621 three, two and one votes awarded. That's going to happen in any system. If you are looking for a system that sharply and accurately assesses the best player out of the hundreds that play in any given season you will be disappointed. There is no system that can do that, all these awards are blunt assessments with lots of variables that interfere with accuracy.

For me the best 2 and most accurate awards are the coaches and the Brownlow. Its amazing that 2 different systems of voting, done by 2 completely different groups can come up with very similar top 10's season after season. Thats the thing that makes me feel both groups are doing it right.

The systems are much too blunt to agree totally and if you are looking for that you are dreaming really.

This would be the most controversial Brownlow since a fellow was given it after knocking another fellow out but getting off on a technicality.
This sums it up, but all media and fans are piling on.

Newtons law every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Example A. AFL introduces the 666 rule to open space in the forward 50. Result Maynard runs directly at Brayshaw at full speed to close that space as quickly as possible. ( good rule anyway but open space does mean faster running and bigger hits if there’s a clash)

Example B. AFL directs umpires to not have access to stats. They also abolish the emergency umpire role, the only umpire who had the luxury of watching and reviewing the game from the comfort of the stands. Result …some appalling Brownlow decisions that might not have happened if they had the benefit everybody else in the country had…. Some stats to back or refute their thoughts before making the final vote decision.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back