Brownlow 2023 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Rozee got about the right numbers.
Butters took some time to get votes which was expected.
The Sex Panther who is use to getting his head clotheslines at every contest was the darling of the team. I didn't see that.

Lachie Neale is a great player who was or still is a Port Adelaide fan. Damn. He didn't even get on the AA team which I thought was crazy. Clearance King. I hope he has a really good GF. On behalf of the Port Adelaide fan base, we wish we had you.
Was I thought.

We burned him pretty badly in his draft year and I don't think he ever wants to come back here now - at least that's what I've seen in other posts on here.

Even if we say now we wish he had him, how many of us were saying that in his draft year?

Players in 2023 getting 3 #Brownlow votes but no @AFLCoaches votes
R01 SBolton
R03 TAdams, BCrouch
R05 APhillips, BClose
R06 LNeale
R07 TEnglish, TMitchell
R08 CPetracca, JSteele
R09 DPrestia
R10 TMitchell
R14 JHorne-Francis
R16 BCrouch
R20 DSheed
R21 JDawson

@AFL
— Swamp (@sirswampthing) September 25, 2023
Players in 2023 getting 10 @AFLCoaches votes but no Brownlow votes
R02 DZorko CMills
R03 JdeGoey IRankine
R05 CSerong
R08 ERatugolea LJackson ZButters CWilkie
R09 SDarcy CPetracca
R10 LParker MLewis JSinclair
R17 ACerra
R18 STaylor DRioli
R21 LJackson
R23 JLever@AFL
— Swamp (@sirswampthing) September 25, 2023

Played out of position doesn't help, he should probably seek a trade tbh he's a full time inside mid and lousy anywhere else.
Absolutely perfect time to capitalise while he still has some value. Don't reckon he'll ever win a flag with Port.

I don't say this with malice either, but a break could be best for both parties.

My theory re the 13 possession game and general JHF mega polling is that he gets his hands on the ball a lot in a game often without actually getting a disposal away. He gets first hands to it and is tackled, tries to break clear, sometimes gives away the free. It's not a possession but it is clear and noticeable involvement in the game right in front of the umpire's eyes.

Someone like Butters misses out occasionally because a lot of his possessions are blink and you miss it quick handballs or dinky little kicks on the flank that are excellent skill wise but from an umpire's perspective just sort of come and go. JHF on the other hand will basically always poll if he has a good game because his game style is noticeable. If any of the 3 are going to win a Brownlow (will be tough because vote stealing) it will be JHF.

My theory re the 13 possession game and general JHF mega polling is that he gets his hands on the ball a lot in a game often without actually getting a disposal away. He gets first hands to it and is tackled, tries to break clear, sometimes gives away the free. It's not a possession but it is clear and noticeable involvement in the game right in front of the umpire's eyes.

Someone like Butters misses out occasionally because a lot of his possessions are blink and you miss it quick handballs or dinky little kicks on the flank that are excellent skill wise but from an umpire's perspective just sort of come and go. JHF on the other hand will basically always poll if he has a good game because his game style is noticeable. If any of the 3 are going to win a Brownlow (will be tough because vote stealing) it will be JHF.

😍

Would probably have to post on the north board when he wins his first.

Low key highlight was the absolute confusion on Jack Steels face whenever he polled.

So many players got votes based on their name, or previous good seasons. Whilst common in previous years, it was ramped up considerably last night. If you asked Steele or Lachie Neale their thoughts on their seasons, both would honestly say, below par.

Ah I see the biggest controversy of the Brownlow this year is JHF getting 3 votes in round 14. Getting a fair workout online

Don't worry about the other mind blowing mistakes though, this is by far the most egregious

Higher vote polling than I expected.

Bont, Daicos, Butters around the mark as expected.

Neale winning beggars belief. If he gets 31 in an average season, how many would he get in a great season???

Guilden surprised me. I really rank him as in the top half dozen in the comp, but more a tradesman like operator, other than a standout, exhilarating type. Doesn't quite scream out "Brownlow" to me.

The media has again highlighted the rank stupidity of some umpires who don't have a clue about what constitutes a top level vote grabbing performance 😒🙄

Think umps awards like Brownlow, Margaret and Sandover still have a place, but shouldn't be the creme de la creme of awards any more.

Coaches awards probably are more reflective of reward for performance than umpire's votes.

Ump's awards should take a back seat to those with more integrity.

In the end you can only get 3 votes a game. So whether you get 40 & 3 in 10 games or whether you get 25 & 0 in 10 games, if you are best on ground you are getting 30 votes.

He was 5th favourite. People are acting like he was $101 to win it

In the end you can only get 3 votes a game. So whether you get 40 & 3 in 10 games or whether you get 25 & 0 in 10 games, if you are best on ground you are getting 30 votes.

He was 5th favourite. People are acting like he was $101 to win it

Neale shows the value of being the clear best midfielder in a good team. It's quite unusual because normally a top 4 team has a better quality midfield than Brisbane do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah I see the biggest controversy of the Brownlow this year is JHF getting 3 votes in round 14. Getting a fair workout online

Don't worry about the other mind blowing mistakes though, this is by far the most egregious
Screenshot_20230926_023629_Instagram.jpg

It's been a busy day at the Ralph household. Honestly reckon he's just about the biggest knob head in the football media.

retired Essendon ruckman Andrew Phillips three votes in Gather Round.

What are they saying here? Why was this an anomaly? They make it sound like he didn't even play in the game, that he'd already retired.

The votes that don't make perfect sense are the actual beauty of the Brownlow. Even when you think a player should poll in a game, you just never quite know.

There are heaps of media awards that will award Daicos BOG for getting 40 touches every week. Go and enjoy those awards if you want that sort of thing.

If Butters starts the year off will a fluorescent pink Mohawk he wins easily.

He also plays “fair” in the sense that his first objective is the ball and his second is using his own strength and speed to get away and use it. He doesn’t play the man or hang back or play for frees. It’s refreshing to watch and more in the spirit of the game as opposed to some of the “unfair” tactics that are employed by others.

I don’t know if that factors into the thinking of the umpires or not but most players don’t go about it the way he does for one reason or another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back