Opinion 2023 captain

Who should be our captain next year onwards?

• Simpkin

Votes: 139 50.7%
  • McDonald

Votes: 58 21.2%
  • Ziebell

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • LDU

Votes: 51 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 22 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

992499.png

Awesome photoshop!

Who is this guy?

Cunners should be the captain until one of the younger players does enough to get the nod, probably Phillips who was recruited partly due to his leadership qualities.

Cunners should be the captain until one of the younger players does enough to get the nod, probably Phillips who was recruited partly due to his leadership qualities.
If Cunners wants it, it would be a great idea. Maybe have a co-captain to do the interviews and Cunners to lead on field and show what wanting to get the best out of yourself is.

Tend to agree with everyone that there really is no obvious candidates.

This is a peak internet nuffy comment but whatever.... could we recruit someone and make them captain? I think I'm more than half serious which is a real worry.

Tend to agree with everyone that there really is no obvious candidates.

This is a peak internet nuffy comment but whatever.... could we recruit someone and make them captain? I think I'm more than half serious which is a real
Wouldn't be the first time we've done it.

Albeit, I don't think Doiyson Heppell is what we need now.

Cunners has enough on his plate just trying to get back to playing footy. Will always be the spiritual leader, doesn't need a title.

Jy has been groomed for the captaincy for a few years now and I doubt his drop off in form this season will impact that. He's a solid player, marketable, right age demographic, other ignorant AFL supporters have generally heard of him etc. I think he will get the nod, with McDonald vice.

However, I think Goldy is currently our best on- and off-field leader, and I'm surprised he's never really been in leadership groups or the captaincy conversation. Age is against him now, but personally I wouldn't be against him taking the reigns for two seasons (assuming we offer him a contract) and then passing the baton on to someone like JHF or Larkey (whose leadership, media performances etc I rate highly).

If Cunners wants it, it would be a great idea. Maybe have a co-captain to do the interviews and Cunners to lead on field and show what wanting to get the best out of yourself is.

He should be doing it because the team needs him to do it. He obviously has a lot more respect as a player and an individual, no disrespect to Ziebell but he just hasn't been the same kind of player. Cunners leads by example and I think him leading the club would mean more than Ziebell tbh, if you want to hold up a player at the club to aspire to become, which would you prefer? There is nobody better than Cunners.

No co-captain. Just have the vice captain do the media, he just needs to rock up for the team captain photo shoot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clean slate. Entire leadership group is washed currently, they bring very little to the table.

Goldstein and Cunnington vice-captains or in leadership group. L-Mac can be captain until we bring in some actual leaders or until one of our younger guys are ready.

Whoever comes in next is a lame duck captain through the worst period in North history, they have to be a battler and inspiration, not a skilled elite player who leads from the front, save that for the LDU’s and JHF’s of the team which is why Cunnington is often having his name raised, reminiscent of Archer in the Laidley years.

Clean slate. Entire leadership group is washed currently, they bring very little to the table.

Goldstein and Cunnington vice-captains or in leadership group. L-Mac can be captain until we bring in some actual leaders or until one of our younger guys are ready.

Whoever comes in next is a lame duck captain through the worst period in North history, they have to be a battler and inspiration, not a skilled elite player who leads from the front, save that for the LDU’s and JHF’s of the team which is why Cunnington is often having his name raised, reminiscent of Archer in the Laidley years.
A big pass for me. For too long we've relied on battler type players for Captain. It's been a major contributor to our woes in the last few years.

Our next Captain needs to be in the guts where the action is and he needs to be in our best handful of players in the next few years.

LDU for me.

A big pass for me. For too long we've relied on battler type players for Captain. It's been a major contributor to our woes in the last few years.

Our next Captain needs to be in the guts where the action is and he needs to be in our best handful of players in the next few years.

LDU for me.

I’d back LDU as Captain if the players/club was bold enough, but its so obvious they’ve been posturing for L-Mac or Jy for years. Even though I’m not sold either on being captain material to inspire a team, they’re good talks in front of media. That’s about it.

Larkey speaks well. Could be considered as a Co-Capt?
Larkey with LDU/Simpkin as vice captains with LMac to be the head honcho until we make JHF the captain in a couple of years

Back