2024 Coaching Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the coach of GWH is gone!
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Upper Ferntree Gully has appointed Mark Fisher as Senior Coach for next year.
Fisher was the Mount Evelyn coach from 2018 until the start of 2022. He was a midfield coach with Essendon’s VFL side and has also worked with Eastern Ranges.

The Rams are yet to announce their Coaches. I hear it will be announced soon, their B & F is tonight.

He missed a few games with injury with a lot of others. Not many played every game. If there were Sportsbet odds I would have a few dollars on Young as I don't think he missed a game and he's very consistent.
Great to see Marcus Young take out the Colin Tainton Medal with Martini 2nd. Mariani very unlucky with injury as he would have been a shoe-in. I have been told that the Rams to make an announcement on coaches very soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know anything about the coach so i will be careful what i say but i just think its a strange appointment.

I think from memory Surrey was his first senior role after coaching some 2s and for whatever reason he didn't finish out the season. They were 4-4 when he was let go and they finished 12-4 before finals where they lost the GF to Silvan.

He may end up being an excellent appointment but i reallly thought East Burwood were about to launch and i thought they would go for a big name.

He might have been the best available, might have a really impressive plan for the squad.

It’s hard to know with coaches at local level. Some clubs also elect to spend less on coaching so they can spend more on players.

Proof will be in the pudding, EB have risen very quickly and are well placed to consolidate at the very least.

He might have been the best available, might have a really impressive plan for the squad.

It’s hard to know with coaches at local level. Some clubs also elect to spend less on coaching so they can spend more on players.

Proof will be in the pudding, EB have risen very quickly and are well placed to consolidate at the very least.
It's a wait-and-see approach, I was told he interviewed really well.

Local coaches are local coaches. Of course there's some who are good and bad and absolutely have an impact either way, but at all levels - Premier to D4 - they're hugely reliant on the dedication and talent of their players. Aside from matchday they only have players for 5 - 10 hours a week, absolute max, and they're far from full time themselves. Surround them with good people, plenty of help and give them a good list... that's the main thing.

Local coaches are local coaches. Of course there's some who are good and bad and absolutely have an impact either way, but at all levels - Premier to D4 - they're hugely reliant on the dedication and talent of their players. Aside from matchday they only have players for 5 - 10 hours a week, absolute max, and they're far from full time themselves. Surround them with good people, plenty of help and give them a good list... that's the main thing.
Get it wrong and it can put you back 5-10 years. Look at UFTG, everyone forgets they were already in a big trouble long before the mouldy clubrooms. Their troubles are said to originated from a poor coaching appointment.

With a young exciting list and a club on the rise i cant imagine there was a lack of applicants for the EB job, but who knows.

Maybe it was financial? They may not have wanted to cough up the minimum 15k+ for a really good coach.

Younger players are a little different now and it doesnt take much for them to look elsewhere and it often has a domino effect.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back