Discussion 2023 Completed teams

Remove this Banner Ad

a184844e9402ef7e31e272caab75e22f.png

Is my bench passable?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do here?

I'm stuck and need a bit of help. Going for League more than the overall score.

Any help would be appreciated.

1688446347954.png

Had a look out of interest, and based on ownership, here is the 'average' completed team for the top 1%.

Def: Daicos, Dawson, Stewart, Sinclair, Day, Sheezel (Mullin, Constable)
Mid: Bontempelli, Petracca, Laird, Neale, Merrett, Green, Brayshaw, Coniglio (Johnson, Sharp, Drury)
Ruck: English, Marshall (Madden)
Fwd: Dunkley, Taranto, Butters, Rozee, Gulden, D Cameron (Roberts, Maric)

Obviously, the rookies are a bit out of whack, but that's where a whole bunch of variation comes in (nobody's bench is that bad, surely).

For me, my final team (rank 172) looks like this:

1688687891732.png

Not much I can do from this point. Key matchups for me on a weekly basis are going to be:
  • Ryan (29.2%) vs Sinclair (91.4%)
  • J Cameron (2.1%)/Mills (23.6%) loop (via DPP) vs Butters (38.4%)
With such little variation, VC/C choices are going to be massively important.

Gotta hope that having the extra premo pays off with coverage at the end of the year too (Jezza can cover mids, forwards and rucks via DPP).

Now that I've done this little exercise, I feel worse about my team lol.

Had a look out of interest, and based on ownership, here is the 'average' completed team for the top 1%.

Mid: Bontempelli, Petracca, Laird, Neale, Merrett, Green, Brayshaw, Coniglio (Johnson, Sharp, Drury)

Obviously, the rookies are a bit out of whack, but that's where a whole bunch of variation comes in (nobody's bench is that bad, surely).

View attachment 1731107

Not much I can do from this point. Key matchups for me on a weekly basis are going to be:

Gotta hope that having the extra premo pays off with coverage at the end of the year too (Jezza can cover mids, forwards and rucks via DPP).

I have all of those onfield players, except Brayshaw and Rozee.
How come I’m only ranked 16,000?:rolleyes::)

View attachment 1731107

Im 150 points behind you. Only diff onfield is Butters over Cogs.

Cant decide if i should use my last trade on Clarry to Sicily next week. What do you think?

Screenshot_20230707-105814.png

Cant decide if i should use my last trade on Clarry to Sicily next week. What do you think?

View attachment 1731128
Sinclair v Ryan is our other difference (advantage, you).

If you're still hoping to climb the ranks overall, I'd make that trade. Seamus and Day/Sheez should be pretty good cover from here on out. Think at best, you get two (at most three) good Oliver games for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1731107

This is good intel for anyone near the top looking to make up ground. No point trading in the players that are 90%+ owned. Better to go for the Sicily/Butters/Libba types and hope they do better.

And as you say VC/C can make a difference (more not having shockers than hitting the odd huge score)

Sinclair v Ryan is our other difference (advantage, you).

If you're still hoping to climb the ranks overall, I'd make that trade. Seamus and Day/Sheez should be pretty good cover from here on out. Think at best, you get two (at most three) good Oliver games for the rest of the year.
Do you have any trades left?

I agree with what you are saying, and i d pretty much decided to trade Oliver to Sicily , but now thinking what happens if Dunkley turns out to be long term and i have no more trades?

I agree with wjat you are saying, and i d pretty mich decided to trade Oliver to Sicily , but now thinking what happens if Dunkley turns oit to by long term and i have no !ore trades?
One lol (think my injury/suspension count is at 14 for the year now). That one is purely to cover an LTI to a defender. If any mids/forwards/rucks go down, I'll likely just cover with Cameron.

Doubt Dunks is long-term – reckon he just misses the two (though that's a hunch, somewhat).

I agree with what you are saying, and i d pretty much decided to trade Oliver to Sicily , but now thinking what happens if Dunkley turns out to be long term and i have no more trades?
Now you've got me thinking haha. I've traded Johnson and Windhager to Mills and Cuningham, but I could always change it and do Johnson and Dunkley to Mills and Butters (or Macrae).
Fagan said Jarrod Berry (hamstring) was close to retaining his spot and would likely be back for next Friday night's match against Melbourne at the MCG.

He wasn't so sure about Josh Dunkley though, who suffered a calf injury in last week's win over Richmond.

"I'm probably less confident with Josh than I am with Bez," he said.

"I think he's a chance next week, but again we're not going to take a risk with him."
It would be a big risk - if Dunks is back next week, RIP, but if he misses 2+, I could come out on top.

Basically, the simple equation (if you project Butters/Macrae to score 110) is:
  • Dunks misses one week
    • Hold - Cuningham covers with a 60
    • Trade - Butters/Macrae would need to average within 7 points of Dunks for the last seven games, otherwise it's a loss
  • Dunks misses two weeks
    • Hold - Cuningham covers with a 60 week one, and J Cameron covers with a 90 week two
    • Trade - Butters/Macrae would need to average within 12 points of Dunks for the last six games, otherwise it's a loss
  • Dunks misses three weeks
    • Hold - Cuningham covers with a 60 week one, and J Cameron covers with a 90 week two and three
    • Trade - Butters/Macrae would need to average within 18 points of Dunks for the rest of the year, otherwise it's a loss
Obviously, this is very simplistic and is based on
  • Macrae/Butters going 110, 110, 110
  • J Cameron coming back next week and going 90, 90
  • Cuningham scoring 60 this week
  • No further injuries
  • Not considering captaincy scores, which is something that is lost by trading Dunkley
Anyway, food for thought. Sorry for the long reply, I was just typing this out for myself as much as anything lol.

Last edited:
Now you've got me thinking haha. I've traded Johnson and Windhager to Mills and Cuningham, but I could always change it and do Johnson and Dunkley to Mills and Butters (or Macrae).

It would be a big risk - if Dunks is back next week, RIP, but if he misses 2+, I could come out on top.

Basically, the simple equation (if you project Butters/Macrae to score 110) is:
  • Dunks misses one week
    • Hold - Cuningham covers with a 60
    • Trade - Butters/Macrae would need to average within 7 points of Dunks for the last seven games, otherwise it's a loss
  • Dunks misses two weeks
    • Hold - Cuningham covers with a 60 week one, and J Cameron covers with a 90 week two
    • Trade - Butters/Macrae would need to average within 12 points of Dunks for the last six games, otherwise it's a loss
  • Dunks misses three weeks
    • Hold - Cuningham covers with a 60 week one, and J Cameron covers with a 90 week two and three
    • Trade - Butters/Macrae would need to average within 18 points of Dunks for the rest of the year, otherwise it's a loss
Obviously, this is very simplistic and is based on
  • Macrae/Butters going 110, 110, 110
  • J Cameron coming back next week and going 90, 90
  • Cuningham scoring 60 this week
  • No further injuries
  • Not considering captaincy scores, which is something that is lost by trading Dunkley
Anyway, food for thought. Sorry for the long reply, I was just typing this out for myself as much as anything lol.
If you decide to trade Dunkley i think Butters is a better bet than Macrae.

One lol (think my injury/suspension count is at 14 for the year now). That one is purely to cover an LTI to a defender. If any mids/forwards/rucks go down, I'll likely just cover with Cameron.

Doubt Dunks is long-term – reckon he just misses the two (though that's a hunch, somewhat).
My understanding is it is most likely 2 games for Dunks and back for Geelong. There is a small chance he is right next week though for game against the Dees

If you decide to trade Dunkley i think Butters is a better bet than Macrae.
You're likely right due to role etc.

I'm unlikely to trade Dunks atm, but just wanted to map out the scenario 🙂

Does this count as completed this season? I could upgrade Mitchell via turfing Johnson but the bench cover is clearly important right now with Dunks down

1688702220440.png

View attachment 1731128
Nice team - are you auctioning off the Boost :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back