2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone I feel underestimates the size of the casual essendon fan base, we are everywhere in every friend group you will have a few bomber supporters

And they just get to the games regardless of how we have been the year before, it's not until we have lost quite a few in a row that it drops off later in the year

Everyone I feel underestimates the size of the casual essendon fan base, we are everywhere in every friend group you will have a few bomber supporters

And they just get to the games regardless of how we have been the year before, it's not until we have lost quite a few in a row that it drops off later in the year
Even then, it’s only the last couple years we’ve dropped off. Look at 2005-2008 crowds, they’re insane.

s**t fixturing by auld again, putting a regional team on at the mcg when people have to get to work tomorrow. The bloke is clueless, he could have actually switched this game and the Friday game, it would have been smarter.
It’s about TV ratings… Crowds come second on some occasions.

s**t fixturing by auld again, putting a regional team on at the mcg when people have to get to work tomorrow. The bloke is clueless, he could have actually switched this game and the Friday game, it would have been smarter.
Yep he is not much value for $1.2 million PA.
If he was making mistakes like this and the Brisbane fiasco tomorrow night in private business he would have been sacked a long time ago!

I just hope to goodness he DOES NOT get Gill's job!

I doubt it would have gotten to 70K. Only one Carlton v Geelong match has hit 70K before, and that was on a public holiday back in 201o, ala the Monday after ANZAC Day. A Carlton 70K is rare against anyone other than the Richmond/Collingwood etc.

I think it is reasonable to suggest 70k would have shown up on the weekend - it got 68k last season on a Saturday night and that may well have been the first time we have played Geelong at the MCG since that 70k 2010 game (always seems to be one of our Marvel home games)

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is reasonable to suggest 70k would have shown up on the weekend - it got 68k last season on a Saturday night and that may well have been the first time we have played Geelong at the MCG since that 70k 2010 game (always seems to be one of our Marvel home games)
It would have gone close 70K if it was against Collingwood or Essendon.

We all know Geelong supporters wont travel in large numbers to the G on weeknights!

3. I doubt it would have gotten to 70K. Only one Carlton v Geelong match has hit 70K before, and that was on a public holiday back in 201o, ala the Monday after ANZAC Day. A Carlton 70K is rare against anyone other than the Richmond/Collingwood etc.

It's an interesting one. Last night's crowd was the 5th highest Carlton/Geelong game ever, but it was only the 10th game between the two teams at the MCG. They were already averaging 52k there before last night, so it only just beat that average despite the high expectations for both teams this year.

Only bigger ones:

71k Anzac Monday 2010
68k Rd 18 2022
67k Rd 8 1996
62k Rd 12 1992

It is right to say though that Carlton don't have a history of big crowds when playing teams other than Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond.

Carlton have 116 games of over 60k, and 107 of them are against the 'Big 4'.

They have 68 games of over 70k, and 67 of them are against the 'Big 4'. That Geelong game on a public holiday in 2010 is the one exception.

So it would have been a rare occurrence if it had got to 70k and I wouldn't consider it a certainty with a different timeslot.

It's an interesting one. Last night's crowd was the 5th highest Carlton/Geelong game ever, but it was only the 10th game between the two teams at the MCG. They were already averaging 52k there before last night, so it only just beat that average despite the high expectations for both teams this year.

Only bigger ones:

71k Anzac Monday 2010
68k Rd 18 2022
67k Rd 8 1996
62k Rd 12 1992

It is right to say though that Carlton don't have a history of big crowds when playing teams other than Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond.

They have 68 games of over 70k, and 67 of them are against the 'Big 4'. That Geelong game on a public holiday in 2010 is the one exception.

So it would have been a rare occurrence if it had got to 70k and I wouldn't consider it a certainty with a different timeslot.
You can make a case that Carlton is the smallest of the ‘Big four’ clubs. Whether their fans like to hear it or not is a different story.

You can make a case that Carlton is the smallest of the ‘Big four’ clubs. Whether their fans like to hear it or not is a different story.
Absolutely. It has nothing to do with being on a Thursday night and playing Geelong at the mcg on a Thursday night.

You can make a case that sad attempts at cheap point scoring are duly noted as sad attempts at cheap point scoring.

Only bigger ones:

71k Anzac Monday 2010
68k Rd 18 2022
67k Rd 8 1996
62k Rd 12 1992

I think that is to be expected, as outside of the other big 3, Melbourne is probably the only other club that we play regularly there.

I think we have probably only had one home game ever against Sydney (when it was 17 v 18 on the ladder) at the MCG and have never had a home game against Brisbane at the MCG outside of finals.

Bulldogs/Saints/North rarely have home games at the MCG anyway and their home games against Carlton seem to always go towards the Marvel quota of potential 40k plus games. Ditto the other way, we rarely play home games against these teams at the MCG.

Hawthorn seems to be one of those fixture quirks where it is often Carlton as the home team and is often played at Marvel. In the not to often situation where we have been away to Hawthorn, it has been shunted down to Launceston. Our home games at the G have gotten good crowds - 2012 got 65k and strong crowds the last 2 seasons considering COVID impact. Two of the highest AFL crowds at Marvel have been between these 2 and if you can get 50k+ at Marvel, you would be on track to get 70k plus at the MCG.

Geelong has already been discussed, we rarely play each other at the MCG so no opportunity to go over 70k.

Carlton also obviously played 8-9 games a year at Prince Park up until 2004.

All in all - due to fixturing, it is expected Carlton wouldn’t have as many 70k crowds against clubs that aren’t Richmond, Collingwood or Essendon.

Carlton have rarely been at the top, but then Carlton havent really anyone push the case for marquee fixtures, and like Essendon, would draw better at the G than at Docklands.

Except for Collingwood the other big 4 teams do not have a history of playing above 70K against other teams either.

Only bigger ones:

71k Anzac Monday 2010
68k Rd 18 2022
67k Rd 8 1996
62k Rd 12 1992

Make the case then??

Make the case then??

Look, my intention was not to open a can of worms, I should’ve done some research before getting into it.

Here are some rushed figures. Only got time to do Docklands stuff at the moment.

At Docklands, as the home team:
Essendon - 152 matches, ave 37,620
Collingwood - 56 matches, ave 37,526
Carlton - 105 matches, ave 33,574
Richmond - 47 matches, ave 31,437
Carlton in their later years at PP played primarily against opposition or smaller clubs, so if those matches were at Docklands instead, then their average crowd most likely comes down.

Home matches at Docklands v Interstate clubs: (excludes 2020/21)
Carlton v Fre - 7 matches ave 26,745
Carlton v WCE - 5 matches ave 34,166
Carlton v Adel - 6 matches ave 30,960
Carlton v Port - 7 matches ave 26,745

Essendon v Fre - 13 matches 32,683
Essendon v WCE - 13 matches ave 35,534
Essendon v Adel - 11 matches ave 34,880
Essendon v Port - 16 matches ave 33,617

Essendon best club to compare to Carlton due to both being good in 2000 and 2001 and then in the doldrums for the majority of the time since. Also, both play home matches at both Docklands and MCG, rather than the one or two matches by Richmond and Collingwood, which means their supporters choose to simply not attend matches played away from the G.

I’m not having a go at Carlton fans or anything. Their crowds in 2011 were great and I remember them in mid 2016 against St Kilda drawing 47,945 as the away team.

Look, my intention was not to open a can of worms, I should’ve done some research before getting into it.

Here are some rushed figures. Only got time to do Docklands stuff at the moment.

At Docklands, as the home team:
Essendon - 152 matches, ave 37,620
Collingwood - 56 matches, ave 37,526
Carlton - 105 matches, ave 33,574
Richmond - 47 matches, ave 31,437
Carlton in their later years at PP played primarily against opposition or smaller clubs, so if those matches were at Docklands instead, then their average crowd most likely comes down.

Home matches at Docklands v Interstate clubs: (excludes 2020/21)
Carlton v Fre - 7 matches ave 26,745
Carlton v WCE - 5 matches ave 34,166
Carlton v Adel - 6 matches ave 30,960
Carlton v Port - 7 matches ave 26,745

Essendon v Fre - 13 matches 32,683
Essendon v WCE - 13 matches ave 35,534
Essendon v Adel - 11 matches ave 34,880
Essendon v Port - 16 matches ave 33,617

Essendon best club to compare to Carlton due to both being good in 2000 and 2001 and then in the doldrums for the majority of the time since. Also, both play home matches at both Docklands and MCG, rather than the one or two matches by Richmond and Collingwood, which means their supporters choose to simply not attend matches played away from the G.

I’m not having a go at Carlton fans or anything. Their crowds in 2011 were great and I remember them in mid 2016 against St Kilda drawing 47,945 as the away team.
I'll compare Essendon to Carlton in the last 20 years
Ess 9 finals series should of been 10 in 2013
Carl 4 should of been 3 2013 by default and 6 wooden spoons = Essendon consistantly a better side. This plays a big factor in crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back