2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
OK, not clear what the actual disparity is from that though.

Oztam are suggesting that foxtel are double counting and that their released figures are 30 to 40% too high.

Oztam are making assumptions. and as owned by FTA networks, have some biases here.

This is the same Oztam who under-reported data for months last year.

The Educator

All Australian
Jan 23, 2023
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Here's my guess as to what is happening.

Oztam have adjusted their published data to include fox now in to their STV numbers. Their accusation is that foxtel are double counting those numbers in what they communicated earlier in the season for the NRL. Note, this would cohere with Prince Imperial 's observation earlier about jump in reported foxtel numbers

Again, just a guess, as to what culd be leading Oztam to think that foxtel numbers are 30 to 40 % overs

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Here's my guess as to what is happening.

Oztam have adjusted their published data to include fox now in to their STV numbers. Their accusation is that foxtel are double counting those numbers in what they communicated earlier in the season for the NRL. Note, this would cohere with Prince Imperial 's observation earlier about jump in reported foxtel numbers

Streaming is covered by a completely seperate VPM report that does include Foxtel Go. This categorically does not include Kayo or Binge. It was supposed to be introduced to the panel last march, but is currently struggling in trial phase./

The Educator

All Australian
Jan 23, 2023
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Swans v Hawks Fox figures are going to be diluted as it was on both 503 and 504 for most of the game. 504 went to the Dons-Suns game when it started.

Yeah that's right

Apparently had 109 on 503 and a further 79 on fox footy

I guess the question is, was it a total of 188 or was (more likely) the 79 an average for just the period the game was on?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Yeah that's right

Apparently had 109 on 503 and a further 79 on fox footy

I guess the question is, was it a total of 188 or was (more likely) the 79 an average for just the period the game was on?
79k would have been for that period but only those watching on 504. Some of them would have switched to 503 when the other game started, which would have slightly increased the average audience on 503.
I suspect the real audience for the game was around 160k.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics
It seems ticket sales are quite slow at the moment for St Kilda v Essendon. To me it looks like they haven’t opened up much of Level 4 for reserved seating. Maybe we were pumping up the crowd potential too much over the weekend? Keen to see how it pans out.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It seems ticket sales are quite slow at the moment for St Kilda v Essendon. To me it looks like they haven’t opened up much of Level 4 for reserved seating. Maybe we were pumping up the crowd potential too much over the weekend? Keen to see how it pans out.
My read. They’ve sold about the same amount of tickets on Q level of the Warne Stand as the Hawthorn game. Half of each bay between Q7-16 sold.

They seem on track with that Hawks game with what they’ve sold on Level 1 of the Ponsford Stand. All level 2 seats look sold out in all stands from what I can see..

They’re selling more level 1 seats of the Olympic Stand that the Hawks game as these aren’t occupied by Club members. (1/2 empty member seats Hawks game), but less Q level in the Olympic Stand probably coz they’re selling more seats on level 1 instead in this stand.

The MCC members Q level seem to be selling well with between 1/4 & 1/2 of bays between Q39-48 sold. I can’t speak for AFL members. Sounds technical so hope this makes sense. Broadly, MCC members will be reasonably crowded Ed it seems to me with many Essendon fans occupying this enclosure.

Overall Hawks member areas were quite sparsely populated on level 1 in Olympic / Warne Stands compared to what we expect this Saturday night as these sections have been offered for sale this week.

We don’t know how many GA tickets they’ve sold. I’d expect Essendon supporters will be filling the GA areas pretty well on Saturday as they did for that Hawks game..

Early days. Hard to know how it’s selling overall. I suspect a crowd between 60-65,000 is realistic.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
My read. They’ve sold about the same amount of tickets on Q level of the Warne Stand as the Hawthorn game. Half of each bay between Q7-16 sold.

They seem on track with that Hawks game with what they’ve sold on Level 1 of the Ponsford Stand. All level 2 seats look sold out in all stands from what I can see..

They’re selling more level 1 seats of the Olympic Stand that the Hawks game as these aren’t occupied by Club members. (1/2 empty member seats Hawks game), but less Q level in the Olympic Stand probably coz they’re selling more seats on level 1 instead in this stand.

The MCC members Q level seem to be selling well with between 1/4 & 1/2 of bays between Q39-48 sold. I can’t speak for AFL members. Sounds technical so hope this makes sense. Broadly, MCC members will be reasonably crowded Ed it seems to me with many Essendon fans occupying this enclosure.

Overall Hawks member areas were quite sparsely populated on level 1 in Olympic / Warne Stands compared to what we expect this Saturday night as these sections have been offered for sale this week.

We don’t know how many GA tickets they’ve sold. I’d expect Essendon supporters will be filling the GA areas pretty well on Saturday as they did for that Hawks game..

Early days. Hard to know how it’s selling overall. I suspect a crowd between 60-65,000 is realistic.
Agree on all fronts. If you are a Saints reserved seat member, why would you pass up the opportunity to attend a rare home match at the ‘G!

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree on all fronts. If you are a Saints reserved seat member, why would you pass up the opportunity to attend a rare home match at the ‘G!
Agreed. This is the biggest match for them in a very long time. Get excited and come to ‘G!
Out of curiosity, why would they want to play us on this 150th anniversary game? Maybe we were their first ever opponents?

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Agreed. This is the biggest match for them in a very long time. Get excited and come to ‘G!
Out of curiosity, why would they want to play us on this 150th anniversary game? Maybe we were their first ever opponents?
They tried playing Collingwood. Not sure if the Pies or the AFL said no.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
They tried playing Collingwood. Not sure if the Pies or the AFL said no.
Ouch. This game will have a little more sting now..

Attachments

• 98307EB0-7991-4947-8C49-EB0BFABDF653.jpeg
    98307EB0-7991-4947-8C49-EB0BFABDF653.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 117

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully we’ll see a reasonable attendance this evening. 20,000 is a big win in my books but could be tough. Bulldog supporters will need to show their bite!

Hopefully we’ll see a reasonable attendance this evening. 20,000 is a big win in my books but could be tough. Bulldog supporters will need to show their bite!

This game was silly as a Thursday though.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
23,665 i think i saw it say on the big screen at the ground. That’s a success i’d say.

Yep I’m happy with that if I was a Bulldogs fan. Great effort vs a Interstate side on a Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back