2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

We had no team average over 50k last year for home games and now it looks like we will have 3 averaging 50k+ in Essendon Carlton and maybe Richmond or Melbourne with also Collingwood who are on track for something around low 60s.
Unfortunately, it will be tough for Essendon to average 50k this season. Currently at 241,319 after 5 matches at an average of 48,264.

The last 6 matches estimates (if playing like a team destined to finish 7th-10th)
R12 v North Marvel - 36,500
R16 v Port MCG - 39,000
R17 v Adel Marvel - 34,000
R19 v WB Marvel - 41,000
R20 v Syd Marvel - 38,000
R21 v WCE Marvel - 32,500
R24 v Coll MCG - 83,000

This will get you to around 545,000, an average of 49,500. It’s doable, but tough.

It does not look good when you have to put tickets down to $20!
They usually do promos for the Sunday 4:40pm slot. Last week Tigers had ‘kids go free’. Kids free Sundays have been a mainstay of Sunday crowd promotions across the league for many years now. This is nothing new.

Unfortunately, it will be tough for Essendon to average 50k this season. Currently at 241,319 after 5 matches at an average of 48,264.

The last 6 matches estimates (if playing like a team destined to finish 7th-10th)
R16 v Port MCG - 39,000
R19 v WB Marvel - 41,000
R24 v Coll MCG - 83,000

This will get you to around 545,000, an average of 49,500. It’s doable, but tough.
Essendon were ‘credited’ for the Gatger Round mstch against Demons as a designated home game, yet the attendance assigned was around 33,832 which clearly is on paper an outlier crowd and will artificially hurt whatever it looks to be destined for. For Essendon broadly, it’s on field fortunes and home games at Marvel will always make drawing 50,000+ at home challenging.

Against this, unlike interstate teams, its away crowds may be a better reflection of its drawing success in any single year. It’s crowds against the Hawks (67,000), Saints (69,000) and Collingwood (95,000) provide greater visibility of its reasonably strong drawing to date this year, despite not being expected to be a finals challenger until the last week or so…. And even then it’s hardly lid off out at Bomberland.

R16 v Port MCG - 39,000
R19 v WB Marvel - 41,000
R24 v Coll MCG - 83,000

Dons look like a serious finals contender I would expect the last 3 games to exceed expectations I would say:
R20 vs syd Marvel- 40,000
R21 vs WCE Marvel 32,500
R24 vs Collingwood-86,000
Collingwood and Essendon played a similar game in rnd 23 in 2019 that drew over 85k would think something similar and maybe more with the way both teams fanbases are showing up this season.

R16 v Port MCG - 39,000
R19 v WB Marvel - 41,000
R24 v Coll MCG - 83,000

Surely if we are still up and about, some of these games will be higher. Port Adelaide @ MCG is definitely a game in which our support strength will/should be on show.
The record away crowd for Port (~ 60,000) could be broken or come close to if we are still in the Top 8. Thoughts?

Surely if we are still up and about, some of these games will be higher. Port Adelaide @ MCG is definitely a game in which our support strength will/should be on show.
The record away crowd for Port (~ 60,000) could be broken or come close to if we are still in the Top 8. Thoughts?
That fixture is slated for a Saturday night which isn’t really family friendly, and during school holidays. It’s generally not as good as Friday night or Saturday or Sunday afternoon. So, it hasn’t got all the stars aligned irrespective of ladder positions. In this time-slot, I’d say an Essendon Vs Port Adelaide on a fine night could draw 50,000+ if it’s deemed a mouth watering fixture later in the year. That’s the best you could hope for. Essendon Vs Sydney is capped at around 45,000 being at Marvel. That really only leaves that Collingwood fixture to lift its home aggregate to a strong total overall.

Even if you're still in the 8, I highly doubt you will get 60K, heck the 60k that the Pies got was an outlier.
Port doesn't have much support here and don't travel in big numbers. If it drew anywhere between 45-50K that would be great.

The only other time Port got over 50K at the G was in their first-ever game RD 1 1997 V the pies (51k)

Hey manicmagpie , if you can be bothered are you able to give us an idea as to how AFL reserve is selling for Carlton Vs Essendon?

Hard to gauge crowd for this. Obviously contingent on Carlton’s performance tomorrow evening. Public sales were strong, however have slowed this week. Basically seats selling in all 3 stands top level between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way back with a bit over a week out. Looks to be heading for around ~70,000 though highly dependent on results this weekend.

Hey manicmagpie , if you can be bothered are you able to give us an idea as to how AFL reserve is selling for Carlton Vs Essendon?

Hard to gauge crowd for this. Obviously contingent on Carlton’s performance tomorrow evening. Public sales were strong, however have slowed this week. Basically seats selling in all 3 stands top level between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way back with a bit over a week out. Looks to be heading for around ~70,000 though highly dependent on results this weekend.

They’ve just started selling the middle third of the top deck. Which means roughly 20-25% still to be sold.

With more than a week to go that would point to a pretty big crowd, but the no show rate could be fairly high if Carlton don’t at least push Melbourne hard this week.

They’ve just started selling the middle third of the top deck. Which means roughly 20-25% still to be sold.

With more than a week to go that would point to a pretty big crowd, but the no show rate could be fairly high if Carlton don’t at least push Melbourne hard this week.
Agree. Their member no shows would likely be very significant broadly..

Any idea how Melbourne v Carlton is shaping up for tomorrow evening..??
Not great.
If we look at last years round 22 game as a comparison, MCC had 30% more reserved seats sold on level 4, AFL had sold 2 more bays as reserved seats on Level 1 Open and 4 more Level 4 front. General public sales are about 10% behind.
Last year had 55K so I think this year will be around 45K.

Now, people may chew my head off for this, but Melbourne and Carlton has never drawn well (last time we cracked 60K was in 1980), both teams are in poor form and its going to be cold tomorrow night. Average Melbourne home crowd is 40.0K and average Carlton home crowd is 36.7K.
So, anything above 40K will be tolerable (disappointing compared to the 60K we were hoping for 5 weeks ago) and above 45K a pass. If it cracks 50K that will be great and if below 40K very poor.

Also need to consider that a lot of MFC GA members are paying to upgrade to go to King's Birthday so may choose not to go this week as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had no team average over 50k last year for home games and now it looks like we will have 3 averaging 50k+ in Essendon Carlton and maybe Richmond or Melbourne with also Collingwood who are on track for something around low 60s.

Home crowds are hard to gauge anything relevant at times.

This year Richmond only has one ‘blockbuster’
Home Marquee game being Round 1. Next year we will have Anzac eve and Dreamtime giving every second year an automatic uptick.

This year we only play Carlton at home while Essendon and Collingwood are away games.

Sure form will increase the number, but a lot of external fixtures could play a 10-20K average differential.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not great.
If we look at last years round 22 game as a comparison, MCC had 30% more reserved seats sold on level 4, AFL had sold 2 more bays as reserved seats on Level 1 Open and 4 more Level 4 front. General public sales are about 10% behind.
Last year had 55K so I think this year will be around 45K.

Now, people may chew my head off for this, but Melbourne and Carlton has never drawn well (last time we cracked 60K was in 1980), both teams are in poor form and its going to be cold tomorrow night. Average Melbourne home crowd is 40.0K and average Carlton home crowd is 36.7K.
So, anything above 40K will be tolerable (disappointing compared to the 60K we were hoping for 5 weeks ago) and above 45K a pass. If it cracks 50K that will be great and if below 40K very poor.

Also need to consider that a lot of MFC GA members are paying to upgrade to go to King's Birthday so may choose not to go this week as well.
No surprise it hasn’t drawn well, by and large both clubs have been putrid for 20 years. If Carlton were in better form it would draw well.

All train lines in the south east are either fully down or partially down tonight, not going to help the attendance.

Crowd predictions for this round:
Melbourne vs Carlton: 48k
Port vs hawks: 33k
West coast vs Collingwood: 35k
Dogs vs cats: 37k
Giants vs tigers: 8k
Essendon vs north: 39k

That’s pretty accurate. Only game I vary slightly is Eagles / Pies. I think it will get between 42-45,000. A bit larger than last week given the afternoon time slot compared to last weeks evening slot which was also the week after ‘that’ loss.

That’s pretty accurate. Only game I vary slightly is Eagles / Pies. I think it will get between 42-45,000. A bit larger than last week given the afternoon time slot compared to last weeks evening slot which was also the week after ‘that’ loss.
I have to agree would be shocked if it’s below 39k

weather is looking good tommorow for the perth game, hopefully a few more will attend

Melbourne v Carlton 45,000
Port v hawks 35,000
West Coast v Collingwood 40,000
Dogs v Cats 40,000
Giants v tigers 10,000
Bombers v Roos 35,000

Melbourne v Carlton 45,000
Port v hawks 35,000
West Coast v Collingwood 40,000
Dogs v Cats 40,000
Giants v tigers 10,000
Bombers v Roos 35,000

Yeah I’m not sure if Bombers v Kangas will get 35,000! I hope it gets there but with the “graveyard shift” you can’t expect much more than 30-32,000 K

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crowd at the g doesn’t look promising at all at the moment. Looks like it will be low 40’s but should get better throughout the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back