Collingwood v Port 55,000
Brisbane v Melbourne 30,000
Crows V Richmond 40,000
Dogs V Saints 32,000
Freo v North 38,000
Swans v hawks 30,000
Essendon v GC 35,000
West Coast v Giants 44,000

That said. If 30K I’d the floor, s**t the game is in god shape.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Carlton v Geelong around low to mid 50's had the Blues won last week 60k.

I’m thinking:

Carlton v Geelong 55,000
Collingwood v Port 55,000
Brisbane v Melbourne 30,000
Crows V Richmond 40,000
Dogs V Saints 32,000
Freo v North 38,000
Swans v hawks 30,000
Essendon v GC 35,000
West Coast v Giants 44,000

That said. If 30K I’d the floor, s**t the game is in god shape.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Essendon V Gold Coast won’t draw 35,000. Marvel Sunday late ish. Essendon going well (I mean - as opposed not 1 win during a basement period) it draws upwards of 35,000 at Marvel. It would at the MCG however.

I will say 27,000 - 28,000 this week

The 68K at the Ess v Haw was a pleasent surprise and really showed up the poor Mel v WB game and the 7K shocker for GWS that the side down but overall pretty good without a match at Optus Perth!
What does sold out at the Gabba actually mean?
Maybe 32 -33,000, it is a stupid move by whoever at the AFL allowed this clash to happen and will effect the AFL TV ratings as well!

Brisbane matches should NEVER be on at the same time/day that the NRL Brisbane matches are it is just good business sense!
I have said for years that the TEN executives at the AFL being paid $1.2MILLION PA (Almost double what the PM and Premier get!) is a disgrace and if this botched fixturing is to go by they are not even worth half that pay!

The 68K at the Ess v Haw was a pleasent surprise and really showed up the poor Mel v WB game and the 7K shocker for GWS that the side down but overall pretty good without a match at Optus Perth!

Maybe 32 -33,000, it is a stupid move by whoever at the AFL allowed this clash to happen and will effect the AFL TV ratings as well!

Brisbane matches should NEVER be on at the same time/day that the NRL Brisbane matches are it is just good business sense!
I have said for years that the TEN executives at the AFL being paid $1.2MILLION PA (Almost double what the PM and Premier get!) is a disgrace and if this botched fixturing is to go by they are not even worth half that pay!
It doesn’t look very sold out on Ticketmaster ?

please note tabled ratings are forbidden by Oztam.
I mean that literally. You can write them in general sentences, but not as a table.

No i dont understand it either.

That's brutal!

OK, in a nutshell I am predicting

Total Average per game at 651K

Total hours (based on the assumption of 3 hours) 17.5m

Based on estimates of 34% for regionals of metros and 80% streaming c/with foxtel

That's brutal!

OK, in a nutshell I am predicting

Total Average per game at 651K

Total hours (based on the assumption of 3 hours) 17.5m

Based on estimates of 34% for regionals of metros and 80% streaming c/with foxtel

We should get some streaming data in the next day or two - normally get a release after round 1, and then again around anzac day or round 10. Its very frustrating and very sporadic. We know NRL streaming ratios to STB broadcasts were down from 77% to 70% at season start though.

Its not a poor crowd, it's the second best Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs H&A crowd in the AFL era.
You're comparing it to teams that have literally 5 times (if not more) amount of supporters. The game is in a very good place if 2 smaller clubs are pulling 48k.
In fact (since 1997-afl tables) only 2 non big 4 teams have gotten a crowd over 50k against the doggies - North in 1998, and Melbourne last year.

GWS was a shocker, but it was also close to 40 degrees. Like s**t, I went to Boxing day test (which was hot) and I was cooked within an hour - I'm not sure if I'd go to an AFL game in that heat knowing I can just wait to go to more throughout the year

Last edited:
yeah i dont understand the people that are saying the dogs/dees crowd wasnt good.
Maybe I just notice it more but I feel like we (Melbourne Fans) really cop it a lot more than any other Vic club except for maybe North when it comes to crowds.

Last year , a lot more people (media included) were ragging on Melbournes 30k vs Freo, Rather than Richmond 22k against Port a few days later. Or Melbourne's 33k vs Sydney, rather than Collingwood vs Hawthorn only getting 10k more the very next day and having a lottt more supporters.

I'm biased, but I think we genuinely do well for crowds considering we just don't have as many supporters as the big 4 clubs. And I reckon we could be in for an AFL era record year this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I just notice it more but I feel like we (Melbourne Fans) really cop it a lot more than any other Vic club except for maybe North when it comes to crowds.

Last year , a lot more people (media included) were ragging on Melbournes 30k vs Freo, Rather than Richmond 22k against Port a few days later. Or Melbourne's 33k vs Sydney, rather than Collingwood vs Hawthorn only getting 10k more the very next day and having a lottt more supporters.

I'm biased, but I think we genuinely do well for crowds considering we just don't have as many supporters as the big 4 clubs. And I reckon we could be in for an AFL era record year this year.

Winning one flag every 50 years isnt going to turn around decades of under promotion, poor fixturing, and low exposure over night. It helps though.

A lot of the "bias" is probably just "good team" bias. People forget to adjust for traditional supporter base size which is obviously massively constraining in a city like Melbourne.

The reality is, in such an established market, the smaller clubs need to be good for decades to significantly shift the dial. The bigger clubs get exposure even when they are in the doldrums and benefit from the socially determined choice of teams

yeah i dont understand the people that are saying the dogs/dees crowd wasnt good.

48 k to Melbourne v WB was a great crowd. I personally predicted 45,000. Melbourne and WB don’t have a huge supporter base and it was the 2nd biggest crowd between the two clubs. Also the western bulldogs don’t draw huge away support.

I think a lot of people are very hard on Melbourne’s drawing power. Melbourne don’t draw as big of crowds then the big 4 and hawthorn and Geelong everyone knows that. But when they are winning the dees draw bigger crowds than the saints, dogs and Roos.

Melbourne are probably In my opinion are the premiership favs and will draw big crowds especially against Richmond and Collingwood where it is Melbourne’s home games and will be hoping to draw over 80,000 to both games.

Have to agree with the lower estimates for this Thursday. Just can't see more than 55k at best.

Easily add 15k on top of that on a weekend slot I reckon.

Winning one flag every 50 years isnt going to turn around decades of under promotion, poor fixturing, and low exposure over night. It helps though.

Exactly. Look at hawthorn. Prior to 1961 they would have had the smallest supporter base. It took until 30 years later with 7 premierships to be ranked 5th biggest Victorian club.

The advantage Melbourne has if they can win another 2 premierships in 4 years is that they play at the MCG. What they need to do to get the younger support is to embrace the demans logo of the 80’s!!

AFL opening round kicks goals on Seven

Coverage reached 4.4 million people nationally

Season opener up 28% on 2022 season average

The 2023 AFL Premiership Season opening round scored high on the Seven Network last week, reaching 4.4 million viewers on Channel 7 and 7mate.

Seven kicked off its live and free AFL season coverage with the opener between Richmond and Carlton on Thursday night, which reached 2.14 million viewers nationally.

The epic clash peaked at 1.07 million viewers nationally, with the match averaging 753,000 viewers, up 28% compared to the 2022 AFL series average and up 13% on the 2022 season opening Thursday night.

The Friday match between the Geelong Cats and Collingwood peaked at 980,000 viewers and drew an average national audience of 728,000, up 24% on the 2022 season average.

Seven’s Saturday night coverage peaked at 848,000 viewers with an average national audience of 549,000.

Seven’s Sunday afternoon AFL coverage peaked at 883,000 viewers with an average national audience of 499,000.

The round one matches dominated their timeslots and ranked as the #1 programs in 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.

The huge audiences helped the Seven Network win Thursday, Friday and Saturday night in total people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s nationally, and win the week in total people nationally.

Seven’s coverage captured 72% of the overall AFL TV audience on Thursday and Friday night, including 77% of all viewers in regional Australia.

source; Media release

The home clubs set prices don’t they besides general admission - these tickets are definitely more expensive than last week’s Geelong game.
Yep i am fairly sure this is the case. We normally have reasonable prices for all of our games, particularly at Marvel, but this one seems to have been pumped up.

The St.Kilda-Essendon game in round 3 is fascinating from a crowd perspective because it is at the MCG, where the clubs have only played each other once this century. If the Saints can cause another upset this week (and the Dons beat Gold Coast), there is a chance both teams could be unbeaten, creating an unexpected top-of-the-table clash on a Saturday night. It's apparently some sort of St.Kilda showpiece game celebrating their 150th year, hence the unusual venue.

THE AFL is pleased to announce Round One of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season is officially the third highest attended round in history.

A total of 392,248 fans attended matches across the opening round, with games at the MCG (4), Marvel Stadium (2), Adelaide Oval, GIANTS Stadium and Heritage Bank Stadium on the Gold Coast.

Top 5 attended rounds all-time

1. Rd 1 2017 - 400,401
  2. Rd 3 2018 - 393,537
  3. R1 2023 - 392,248
  4. Rd 5 2017 - 391,980
  5. Rd 5 2018 - 381,880

hmm about 347 more than we seem to have been given over the weekend

hmm about 347 more than we seem to have been given over the weekend

It's a conspiracy to get that all important 3rd place instead of 4th. {we need a tin foil emoji)

I wonder which game they've amended.

Collingwood got 40k against Port towards the end of last year when we were flying (week after our post siren win v Essendon), which was one of Port’s best ever crowds in Melbourne.

Not sure how that crowd is going to be beaten by 10k, as much as I’d love to see it. If we get near 50k for that there’ll be a few other records in trouble this season.
I think it can be done. That game last year Port's season was just about shot, so that probably affected Melbourne based fans or interstate fans making the journey. This time round they're flying (albeit after 1 game) maybe there's more of an incentive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back