Position 2023 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Track watchers before Christmas said Daniel was training in the midfield. If it holds up then Richards should be able to continue his late season form with more kick ins

didn't Dale take most of the kick ins?

Good finish to the season playing half back has got some interested.

Apparently Helmet is playing midfield this year. Should make Richards a good pick but Crazy Bevo is always the worry.

I'm actually warming a bit on Bailey Dale if he is going to dominate kick ins.
Dale has been very impressive pre season. He’s very much the go to guy for everything coming out of defence. He’s on my radar.

Dale has been very impressive pre season. He’s very much the go to guy for everything coming out of defence. He’s on my radar.
Another years experience playing that role should help. I reckon you just have to accept the odd poor score with him. Can go big too so it should even out over the season.

Don’t think you can pick any older cats. They won the flag resting blokes heaps, they’d be stupid not to do it again.

Agree 100 %. Dont pick any of our old guys except blitz (so structurally crucial we cant rest him).

My mate who is a keen SC player and huge Hawks fan said Day is the one.

I really want to pick him but that price, he needs to be a keeper. This was the year I planned to play it safer.

Looks like that'll end up going out the window 😂
Recent photos of Day actually show him as putting on some size. Less of a rake than previously

Bruhn I think will have to bide his time/wait for an injury, as Bowes is pretty much the guaranteed in for Sel - in a wing/inside mid role -, and O'Connor or Parfitt likely comes out for Holmes. Can see Bruhn pretty quickly replacing Parf though, and staying in all year, given how similar him and Atkins are.

Our mid setup will likely be something like this:

C: Holmes, Blicavs, Bowes
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, C. Guthrie
INT: T. Atkins, Parfitt
EMG: Menegola (wing), Bruhn (inside mid)
Mitch Duncan?

and hows this for a pod pick.

usually a mid. or even a fwd. first time i think were seeing him in the backline.

another year older. but could be a juicy pod.

presenting mitch duncan @ 486k priced at an 88avg.

View attachment 1582354

has been a 100avg player for ages. one off game and a very impressive finals campaign... gives this pick some serious thought.

View attachment 1582355
Yeah, I been given Duncan a bit of thought. Want to read a bit more from Geelong watchers about how they think their likely to structure up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Duncan?

Will likely stay at half back, where he has a lot of competition for ball distribution - Stewart, Zuthrie, Tuohy etc. At a decent price, but still not confident he scores that well, and pretty sure he won't play every game given how deep our squad is and his injuries in recent years.

Geelong players to pick for mine, would be Guth, Stewart, Bowes and Holmes (who looks to be getting some inside mid time going by the last pre-season training update).

Will likely stay at half back, where he has a lot of competition for ball distribution - Stewart, Zuthrie, Tuohy etc. At a decent price, but still not confident he scores that well, and pretty sure he won't play every game given how deep our squad is and his injuries in recent years.

Geelong players to pick for mine, would be Guth, Stewart, Bowes and Holmes (who looks to be getting some inside mid time going by the last pre-season training update).
I was interested in Holmes but as a mid only it’s very hard to make a case for him over Hopper.
Duncan prob more relevant to afl fantasy.

Dale was’t a bad own last year except his last 3 round avge of 79 really hurt.
If Helmet does play mid who do the 60 odd KI go to ? Can’t see them going to Richards on these stats and the way he played without them up the ground. If Dale even gets half of them he could go 105-6 so not writing him off this year, or does Bevo have a surprise, Bullies fans ?
F31E2262-9548-40C7-B224-E8C49895BED3.jpeg

Dale was’t a bad own last year except his last 3 round avge of 79 really hurt.
If Helmet does play mid who do the 60 odd KI go to ? Can’t see them going to Richards on these stats and the way he played without them up the ground. If Dale even gets half of them he could go 105-6 so not writing him off this year, or does Bevo have a surprise, Bullies fans ?
View attachment 1589656
He’s training as the go to man coming out of defence. No suggestion of a Bevo surprise as yet.

I was interested in Holmes but as a mid only it’s very hard to make a case for him over Hopper.
Duncan prob more relevant to afl fantasy.
Nailed it.

Holmes could be anything, he really is that good, but not sc relevant for me, at least not for a while yet. Duncan is but injury risk and probable resting makes it a no here.

Would love to pick Bailey Dale. $560k is a small saving on the $600k studs, but he could potentially be a top 6 DEF, especially with Helmet moving into the guts.

But how many Dogs is too many? I already have Bont, Macrae, Mclean, Breakfast, and Baker already.

Posed the question on another forum, but are we all overlooking Angus Brayshaw? People jumping on Salem because he is low priced and back to full health, but Brayshaw in line for midfield time and scored well back half of last year doing it. Something I'm missing?

Posed the question on another forum, but are we all overlooking Angus Brayshaw? People jumping on Salem because he is low priced and back to full health, but Brayshaw in line for midfield time and scored well back half of last year doing it. Something I'm missing?
Priced at his max IMO

Does he keep the role would be the issue. Will he get pushed out to the wing again, or to half back? He sort of seems like Mr Fix-it for Melbourne, so will he stay in the midfield all season?

Last edited:
106.5 avg over the 2nd half of the year (12 games). Like to see role, but that's a pretty good sample size. Not last 3 or 5 rnd avg like some look for.
Brayshaw is a utility that is likely to be pushed into roles based on need (injuries) .....for me, too much uncertainty

I know there are many podcasts exposing the positives of Gus, but the assumption is he's cemented into a MID role ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back