Universal Love 2023 Doig Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that haven't already, listen to Serong's press conference from last night. He has to be captain, the conviction in which he speaks about the club is so good to hear and everything you want from a leader.

Wow...what an impressive young man.

Caleb is so strong in his endeavours to get the best from himself but always relates it back to a team first attitude.

With his passion for football and his clear and concise thinking in addition to his ability to speak so well it will be a surprise if he doesn't become a very successful AFL coach.

First things fist however Caleb, you will lead Freo into many finals and hold the premiership cup high at the MCG one day.

We are so fortunate to have him at our club.

I only just learned that Josh Corbett won the Best Clubman Award.... and that he is the key position coach of the AFLW team. Wow, busy guy.

Top Gun GIF by MANGOTEETH

I reckon I agree with the coaches on Clark's year, I imagine the voting is very centred on doing what the coaches ask of you on field and doing it consistently. I think he really only had a good back third of the year and was a key reason why we stagnated with our ball movement from the back half in the first half of the year.
You would think his role is to bring some rebound and bounce but just did not see much of it all year.

Another reason why I think Ryan got lots of votes, as his role is not to rebound and bounce yet he is constantly slated for it by us on here. He's copping a taste of when you've been so good for so long people just expect more. He is a defender first, how many times do you think he was beaten all year? I recall maybe 3 times where he didn't break even or beat his direct opponent while also intercepting and supporting Cox and Pearce. Coaches would have absolutely loved it.

Can never understand the complaints about Ryan on here I must say.
To me he’s a top top player. He’s an absolute talisman for freo I reckon. A ball winner, a leader, and also importantly one of the few guys on our team that consistently exudes character and exuberance on the field (and probably off it too).
Look at the teams playing finals this week and next. They are full of big personalities, strong characters that impose themselves on big games. I don’t believe we have enough players like this on the team. We have a few, and some more with potential that are still growing.
Ryan is one of the few we have, a top 5 player on the team easily in my book. An absolutely critical part of what we are trying to achieve in the next few years.

To me he’s a top top player. He’s an absolute talisman for freo I reckon. A ball winner, a leader, and also importantly one of the few guys on our team that consistently exudes character and exuberance on the field (and probably off it too).
Look at the teams playing finals this week and next. They are full of big personalities, strong characters that impose themselves on big games. I don’t believe we have enough players like this on the team. We have a few, and some more with potential that are still growing.
Ryan is one of the few we have, a top 5 player on the team easily in my book. An absolutely critical part of what we are trying to achieve in the next few years.
What I love about Ryan is his competitiveness and the way he wears his heart on his sleeve.

He gets so pissed when he loses a 1 on 1, makes me like him more.

Nah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed he wasn’t there in early 2022 when we had a streak of wins. I notice his slow pace for an outside mid. I notice his limited endurance, where he cheats back and forward letting his opposing winger get goal side of him and drag our spare back man out of position, or the opposite when he allows the opposing winger to clog space in our forward line.

I also notice his elite kicking, one touch skills, good decision making and amazing vision.

I’m not convinced he’s best 22 with everyone fit and firing come 2024. He needs to become a better athlete over preseason. I’m not sure he can.
You notice a lot :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back