List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Been watching a bit of the draft doco on fox in between overs of the cricket - very nice moment captured where Will thanks Leon Harris for all his support and tells him he’s going to nominate as a father son.

I could kiss Levi. There’s a scene where they are throwing an American football in the backyard and Will asks him where he wants him to go. Levi says the lions so he can play with him. Absolute legend.

Been over 1800 kids in AIC comp this year which is massive.
That is amazing, slowly but surely. My kids go to one of the GPS schools. Youngest (smartest because he plays Australian Rules) bemoans the fact that there is no Australian Rules in his school.

Give us a quick reminder please, who are the guys to watch?
L3 players to watch:

Annable (L2 eligible), Gilder, Fry, Glass, Greenaway, Gillett, Jessen, Richardson (I've excluded the over agers)

L2 players to watch:

Barry, Lillico, Geesu, Harrison, Tanks, Slater, Caspers, Milner (+3 youngsters in Hodge, Thomson & Logan)

Watching a bit further there are about 5 or so girls from the Lions team that have much better kicking skills than most AFLW players. Nice drop punts that accurately travel 25 to 40 metres. Also some nice kicking for goal.

Watched the third quarter while on my break, on my phone.

I don’t know if it’s the level of talent in our academy, or the coaching in the academy or the standard of Colts in Brisbane, but the Suns academy was a level above us, right across the field.

They out worked us, out ran us, found themselves in better position all the time, were smarter around the ground.

There should be genuine questions being posed to the club about the academy performances.

I have no idea about any possible answers or solutions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if it’s the level of talent in our academy, or the coaching in the academy or the standard of Colts in Brisbane, but the Suns academy was a level above us, right across the field.

They out worked us, out ran us, found themselves in better position all the time, were smarter around the ground.

There should be genuine questions being posed to the club about the academy performances.

Is it the same reason the Gold Coast QAFL teams on average have outperfromed the Brisbane-based clubs?

I could kiss Levi. There’s a scene where they are throwing an American football in the backyard and Will asks him where he wants him to go. Levi says the lions so he can play with him. Absolute legend.

Just watching it - loved that bit.

Nearly cried when he told Leon Harris "you are first to know, I am going to Brisbane". Life membership for what Leon has done.

I never knew Will plays golf left handed.

I don’t know the QAFL at all, beyond reading the board here.

Unless you’re referring directly to funding?
Performance and talent. For whatever reason, demographics, culture, geography... the Coast has always punched above it's weight. There was a period probably 5-10 years ago (can't remember exactly) but the Lions Academy was outperforming the Suns.

I thought there were changes to the Academy not long ago? Did these changes not work?

Just finished watching the academy game at home.

Really not much positive to take out of the game.

Annable (U16) was the class of our midfielders. While we had some bigger, stronger bodies in there, their skills and game sense let them down repeatedly. Where as Annable, when he got it, more often than not found a target by hand or foot, or put it to his team mates advantage. Executed a lovely kick from half forward, in to 50, over the top of the defenders and out in front of Gillett, for him to run out in to space and take a running mark with the ball coming over his shoulder. Gillett kicked the goal from 40 out on a 45 degree angle, straight over the goal umpires head.

Fazldeen (U17) was lively as a half forward, pushing in to midfield. Can't kick 50, but otherwise was probably the pick of our players.

Bradley McDonald (U18) was played in defence the whole game, while Billy Richardson (U18) played forward and relieved in the ruck. Those two players should have been swapped at half time.

Gillett has good skills, but is so light bodied, he can't compete physically in a contest.

I really would have liked to see Richardson moved on to Jed Walter (GC U18) to play as a lockdown defender. And I would have liked to have seen Ryan Gilder (U17) moved on to Jai Murray (GC U16).

Gold Coast played without their best two midfielders today, who are out injured, and their second best KPF who is boarding in Melbourne and playing in the NAB League for Oakleigh.

Jed Walter should be a top 10 pick for Gold Coast this year. If Caleb Nancarrow keeps progressing from last year, he's probably a top 10 pick next year for GC. And Jai Murray looks a real talent for them in 2025.

yes, I went and watched and Lions were very poor, but also seemed to not react at all to what was happening.

Felt the general play was pretty even, but the Suns just had so much more firepower up forward and moved it in there with far great efficiency. The more talented Lions weren't really in spots where they could shine, but no changes were made.

Jett Jessen has plenty of talent and is 17 and took a great contested grab, but the way the Lions put the ball inside 50 was horrendous. Liam Hude is a seriously good player, over ager that played Allies last year and can barely recall him getting a disposal. Gillet, Jessen and Hude should be the 3 tall fowards with Fazldeen and Cruice at their feet. Thought Cruice looked classy with limited opportunity.

Richardson virtually unsighted. Gilder very poor, falling off simple tackles and getting lost in transition. Josh Cooper, another over ager who played Allies last year was absolutely horrendous by foot and with general decision making and din't go near an opponent all day.

The only real positives would have to be Annable as a 15 year old mid (16 this year) being the best Lions performer and Elijah Glass is a competitive beast, but just had nobody come with him.

Yes, the Suns are a seriously good side - but were missing 2 stars. Walter will be a single digit draft pick and it showed, and I've been telling anyone that will listen how good Jai Murray is and she showed it again why. He is same age as Annable and must have kicked 5?

Lots of improvement needed for the Lions, and probably a few personnel changes too. Get rid of underperforming over agers and start developing some of the 16 year olds coming through. Harrison, Lillico & Barry would have made that side better yesterday.

yes, I went and watched and Lions were very poor, but also seemed to not react at all to what was happening.

Felt the general play was pretty even, but the Suns just had so much more firepower up forward and moved it in there with far great efficiency. The more talented Lions weren't really in spots where they could shine, but no changes were made.

Jett Jessen has plenty of talent and is 17 and took a great contested grab, but the way the Lions put the ball inside 50 was horrendous. Liam Hude is a seriously good player, over ager that played Allies last year and can barely recall him getting a disposal. Gillet, Jessen and Hude should be the 3 tall fowards with Fazldeen and Cruice at their feet. Thought Cruice looked classy with limited opportunity.

Richardson virtually unsighted. Gilder very poor, falling off simple tackles and getting lost in transition. Josh Cooper, another over ager who played Allies last year was absolutely horrendous by foot and with general decision making and din't go near an opponent all day.

The only real positives would have to be Annable as a 15 year old mid (16 this year) being the best Lions performer and Elijah Glass is a competitive beast, but just had nobody come with him.

Yes, the Suns are a seriously good side - but were missing 2 stars. Walter will be a single digit draft pick and it showed, and I've been telling anyone that will listen how good Jai Murray is and she showed it again why. He is same age as Annable and must have kicked 5?

Lots of improvement needed for the Lions, and probably a few personnel changes too. Get rid of underperforming over agers and start developing some of the 16 year olds coming through. Harrison, Lillico & Barry would have made that side better yesterday.
The lions are up against Oakleigh round 1. It could get ugly. Based on what I saw the lions will struggle to get it past the middle.

On the other hand, if you're like me and more interested in QLD footy, than Lions footy - then I reckon the Suns will be competitive with most TAC Cup sides and probably win most of their games. They were very impressive and were missing 3-5 key players, including 2 elite mids.

Great for QLD footy to be producing some talent. Lions should bid on a few of them...

Not sure he’s been mentioned as haven’t read the entire thread but afl.com has Aiden Johnson as an available father-son for us this year. Anyone know anything about him? Sorry if has been discussed before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back