List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC a few teams were wary of Judd because of his shoulders.

We get it right more often that we get it wrong IMO and that's without taking into consideration who the club believes will leave ASAP. Nat Fyfe was a second round draft pick, Lachie Neale was a third round. It's an educated guess IMO, some kids mature earlier than others, some have finished growing at 17/18 others not until they're 21/22.

I'm sure we drafted Cam because we wanted a midfield bull, he has shown he can be in glimpses but it's doubtful he will get to the Brayshaw's level as a mid. Maybe if we had our time again we would go with Brayshaw. I like Cam and think he will be very valuable going forward once he has found his sweet spot in the team but it's not crazy to say if we had our time again knowing what we know now, the coaching staff would pick someone ahead of him.
I specifically remember Stephen Conole being interviewed after the 2017 draft. The recruiting team and football department took multiple days before deciding who to get with pick 1, "there were 4 or 5 names that were thrown around". I know for a fact that they were Rayner/Brayshaw/LDU/Cerra/Dow, as these were the 5 names he mentioned in an interview PRE-draft about who were in contention for pick 1. My recollection was that it was fiercely debated whether to take Rayner or Brayshaw, in that Brayshaw was a player who was going to play to a high level for a long time (similar to Sam Walsh), but the line ball decision came down to Rayner, the justification being "you don't get to draft a player like Cam very often", with his mix of attributes, power and speed as an impact player, knowing that even though our aim that draft was to continue building depth in the midfield, we would take on a forward/mid in Rayner.

Rayner is still only 23, 1 season after returning from an ACL. He was always going to take time to build his tank, even without the knee. Though there were comparisons with Dustin Martin and Petracca, it was always more likely Rayner would be more of an impact player than those 2, as he did not have a good tank to start with, and never accumulated the ball enough at any level unlike those 2, to become a full time consistent dominant midfielder. The best scenario was always a player who could split time between midfield and forward (and now defence), in that he can be strong as a forward/defender due to his attributes, and be able to be thrown on-ball when required for some presence and impact. A 20 touch a game, high impact player. If he can develop the necessary tank to be a fulltime midfielder that would be a bonus rather than an expectation.

Beyond football ability, Rayner has been a godsend for our club. The second year of our rebuild (having taken 4 Vic Country kids the draft before to negate the go-home factor), we took on a Vic Metro player at pick 1, who immediately extended his contract before playing a game. That commitment to the club, as well as his positive attitude and energy which is infectious (according to everyone inside & outside the club), would have had a major impact on our club culture and retention.

There's always the discussion of Hodge vs Ball vs Judd. Ball was hampered by injury. While Judd got out of the blocks early, and had some unrivalled years as a dominant midfielder, I doubt Hawthorn would have regretted drafting Hodge even if they had their time again. Hodge was a champion in his own right who only blossomed as a midfielder his late 20s having played defence earlier, had better longevity than Judd, not to mention captained Hawks to those premierships. Cam may or may not captain Brisbane one day, but his influence on our club, just like Hodge, cannot be judged by on-field impact alone. Andrew Brayshaw will be champion player for Fremantle for a long time, but it does not mean we made the wrong choice drafting Cam.

I specifically remember Stephen Conole being interviewed after the 2017 draft. The recruiting team and football department took multiple days before deciding who to get with pick 1, "there were 4 or 5 names that were thrown around". I know for a fact that they were Rayner/Brayshaw/LDU/Cerra/Dow, as these were the 5 names he mentioned in an interview PRE-draft about who were in contention for pick 1. My recollection was that it was fiercely debated whether to take Rayner or Brayshaw, in that Brayshaw was a player who was going to play to a high level for a long time (similar to Sam Walsh), but the line ball decision came down to Rayner, the justification being "you don't get to draft a player like Cam very often", with his mix of attributes, power and speed as an impact player, knowing that even though our aim that draft was to continue building depth in the midfield, we would take on a forward/mid in Rayner.

Rayner is still only 23, 1 season after returning from an ACL. He was always going to take time to build his tank, even without the knee. Though there were comparisons with Dustin Martin and Petracca, it was always more likely Rayner would be more of an impact player than those 2, as he did not have a good tank to start with, and never accumulated the ball enough at any level unlike those 2, to become a full time consistent dominant midfielder. The best scenario was always a player who could split time between midfield and forward (and now defence), in that he can be strong as a forward/defender due to his attributes, and be able to be thrown on-ball when required for some presence and impact. A 20 touch a game, high impact player. If he can develop the necessary tank to be a fulltime midfielder that would be a bonus rather than an expectation.

Beyond football ability, Rayner has been a godsend for our club. The second year of our rebuild (having taken 4 Vic Country kids the draft before to negate the go-home factor), we took on a Vic Metro player at pick 1, who immediately extended his contract before playing a game. That commitment to the club, as well as his positive attitude and energy which is infectious (according to everyone inside & outside the club), would have had a major impact on our club culture and retention.

There's always the discussion of Hodge vs Ball vs Judd. Ball was hampered by injury. While Judd got out of the blocks early, and had some unrivalled years as a dominant midfielder, I doubt Hawthorn would have regretted drafting Hodge even if they had their time again. Hodge was a champion in his own right who only blossomed as a midfielder his late 20s having played defence earlier, had better longevity than Judd, not to mention captained Hawks to those premierships. Cam may or may not captain Brisbane one day, but his influence on our club, just like Hodge, cannot be judged by on-field impact alone. Andrew Brayshaw will be champion player for Fremantle for a long time, but it does not mean we made the wrong choice drafting Cam.
I don't think we made a mistake in drafting Rayner as he has been pretty good off field and had some good games on field. I also think he is becoming more consistent and if he lplays more down back, it really could be the making of him. His best is still yet to come. However, while his off field presence really helped us, Brayshaw would have made an equal contribution off field as his work ethic is amazing and has some really good leadership qualities, he will probably captain Freo one day.

I don't think we made a mistake in drafting Rayner as he has been pretty good off field and had some good games on field. I also think he is becoming more consistent and if he lplays more down back, it really could be the making of him. His best is still yet to come. However, while his off field presence really helped us, Brayshaw would have made an equal contribution off field as his work ethic is amazing and has some really good leadership qualities, he will probably captain Freo one day.
Well that’s okay cause we already have our future 10+ year captain in Will Ashcroft now, so all is sweet in that regard :cool:

My Eyes Pain GIF
222e4ede-3a53-4325-a22e-18301d1079ec_text.gif

There were rumours early on that Cam was a flight risk/party boy etc. A lot of it is put out there to try & spook the interstate teams
From which camp?

To whose benefit?

The rumours started during the U18 season, before the AFL season was finished and the ladder order not finalised.

In recent years, all rumours have come from the boys themselves, or their camp; from Bailey Smith (2018), Cerra (2017), Archie Perkins (2020), Harry Sheezel (2022).

Some rumours have come out post draft as well, so I imagine they would have been known by the recruiters.

In recent years, all rumours have come from the boys themselves, or their camp; from Bailey Smith (2018), Cerra (2017), Archie Perkins (2020), Harry Sheezel (2022).

Some rumours have come out post draft as well, so I imagine they would have been known by the recruiters.
There's been plenty of rumours around any player that's linked to a GWS/Sydney/GC/Brisbane pick over recent years, same as prior to that. It's more that those clubs aren't touching players who raise the issues themselves, but media speculation pops up around just about any pick in the first round or so.

There's been plenty of rumours around any player that's linked to a GWS/Sydney/GC/Brisbane pick over recent years, same as prior to that. It's more that those clubs aren't touching players who raise the issues themselves, but media speculation pops up around just about any pick in the first round or so.
I’ve heard privately certain players were likely to be flight risks long before the draft.

Quite a few of those players were drafted interstate, and returned home or retired.

I haven’t heard any such rumours about any of the kids we’ve drafted recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Victorian sides have a father son / daughter it's a beautiful tradition of the game. When it's an interstate team it's compromising the integrity of the draft.
Ah young padwan I see you have grasped the correct nuances of rightthink ... you shall go far!

From which camp?

To whose benefit?

The rumours started during the U18 season, before the AFL season was finished and the ladder order not finalised.

still find it funny that kids who know they will never be a first or second rounder arent flight risks so it is pretty much reserved for the precious boys that are probably told from a young age how great and special they are - i mean would they take that position if it was the difference between being listed or not?

still find it funny that kids who know they will never be a first or second rounder arent flight risks so it is pretty much reserved for the precious boys that are probably told from a young age how great and special they are - i mean would they take that position if it was the difference between being listed or not?

You don't know the personal circumstances.

Rhett Bazzo did.

Rhett Bazzo has a mentally disabled brother that he is close to, so requested he not be taken by interstate clubs.

Rhett Bazzo did.

Rhett Bazzo has a mentally disabled brother that he is close to, so requested he not be taken by interstate clubs.
I honestly dont know who Rhett Bazzo is but did he maintain that position despite not being drafted. Id be surprised if boys that are desperate to get into the AFL would maintain such a position if it meant not achieving there dream of playing AFL e.g. go anywhere even if moving interestate or electing to forgo there dream by being adamant they are not being drafted and overlooked.

I honestly dont know who Rhett Bazzo is but did he maintain that position despite not being drafted. Id be surprised if boys that are desperate to get into the AFL would maintain such a position if it meant not achieving there dream of playing AFL e.g. go anywhere even if moving interestate or electing to forgo there dream by being adamant they are not being drafted and overlooked.
Was probably the second or third best tall defender in the 2021 draft. From WA. Drafted by West Coast late in the second round.

I was on his bandwagon, as a smokie for our second pick, was really hoping he’d slide to our third pick when he “slid” in to the 30’s.

This is the first I’ve heard about him requesting to stay in WA.

Rhett Bazzo did.

Ok, now do the other dozen or so players who don't want to be drafted away from home or request a trade back as soon as they can.

Hey Thommo 42 or Miller1971 do either of you know of an academy kid called Sam Marshall playing for Sandringham?

Saw he was in the Vic Metro U16 squad last year, playing for Sandringham this year, but ran out with our academy team on the weekend

Yep, still remember Dyson Heppell hamstring saga. We did get spooked then and took Polec.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back