List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

But what about the Essendon supporters who were adamant we were giving the compo pick back to them for Shiel?

Well to be fair some journos were running with that angle also.

Oh that’s right I forgot; those journos are already included in the deluded group you refer to

Shiel to be fair apparently tried to get the clubs to sit back down at the end of the first week when the Gresham compo was still up in the air.

He wanted the move.

I think the alternative we came up with was we would take him for a nothing pick (50+) and Essendon said no.

That was the end of it.
Meantime, our “nothing pick” #62 got us a hopefully much more suitable, long term player instead of a broken down old guy. Win/win

Sos has proven to be canny at the trade table and at drafting.
Stocker and Caminiti
Dow for cheap
Henry for a future second

In the draft Lyon wanted pace (got it with Henry and Dow in trades)

Wilson speed, endurance, great skills, runs like Hill, @ pick 18 and a free future second, ( Henry therefore free)

Collard. Speed X factor, high risk, high reward
Hastie, good size, runs like the wind, good intercept
Garcia, good inside mid, designated kick out for his team, means a good kick and decision making. will need some time, but a mid what we needed
Schoenmaker a free hit, Sheahan reckons could be steal of the draft. Only one not quick but has other huge weapons

Bonner, another with run who is a very good backup

So everyone bar Schoenmaker is very quick ( obviously with other skills), just what Lyon wanted. He loves run and one of the reasons he took on this list.

So for me SOS has really passed his first test.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stocker and Caminiti
Dow for cheap

Wilson speed, endurance, great skills, runs like Hill, @ pick 18 and a free future second, ( Henry therefore free)

Garcia, good inside mid, designated kick out for his team, means a good kick and decision making. will need some time, but a mid what we needed
Schoenmaker a free hit, Sheahan reckons could be steal of the draft. Only one not quick but has other huge weapons

So everyone bar Schoenmaker is very quick ( obviously with other skills), just what Lyon wanted. He loves run and one of the reasons he took on this list.

Probably too early to call but so far Sos and Toce have been very good. Billings and Gresham walking out means we need to get more from what we got for them but other than that they have done a lot with a little.

Stocker and Caminiti
Dow for cheap

Couldnt agree more, its like SOS and Gubby were given $20 to bet on the horses and turned it into a million.

Stocker and Caminiti
Dow for cheap

Yep. True. The raw material looks good.
Now it’s over to development coaches.

St.Kilda probably would have taken Wilson regardless.
We were, but Hawthorn and North were also coming for our pick to get Leake. Lucky for GWS we wanted Wilson because North's future 2nd will certainly be a better pick than the Adelaide one GWS gave us.

Yep. True. The raw material looks good.
Now it’s over to development coaches.

And we actually have those now. We had a terrible recruiter and zero development before. We are spending in all the right areas now.

Probably too early to call but so far Sos and Toce have been very good. Billings and Gresham walking out means we need to get more from what we got for them but other than that they have done a lot with a little.
Yes agreed, too early. However there have been questions all year about SOS and choosing Stocker and Hammer from Carlton didn't quash those fears.
Then Dow from Carlton.
My analysis is looking at the coaches requirements, which was more run. I think we got that with all but Schoenmaker who was a free hit at a real slider.

We won't know the draftees for seasons, however Dow and Henry and even Bonner can have an immediate impact, Wilson may get a gig early,and hopefully a couple of Hotton, Keeler and Van Es can get a gig.

Will start to look like a Ross Lyon team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irrespective of the reasons for or differences of opinion, we we're getting previously nothing out of Billings and not that much out of Gresh.
Dow and Henry will easily produce more for the team than what we were getting. Probably Dow alone.

JB was pushed, didn't walk out. Gresh they let go knowing that an end of first round would eventually land about where it did, so clearly they didnt rate him and he was on the edge of the 22 by season's end.

At the very least we didn't lose any blood this offseason. Whilst not improving the top end they did well on building the base and on paper the squad should be better even before you factor in growth from the obvious ones and general improvement from time in the RTB system.

Last edited:
Yes agreed, too early. However there have been questions all year about SOS and choosing Stocker and Hammer from Carlton didn't quash those fears.
Then Dow from Carlton.
My analysis is looking at the coaches requirements, which was more run. I think we got that with all but Schoenmaker who was a free hit at a real slider.

We won't know the draftees for seasons, however Dow and Henry and even Bonner can have an immediate impact, Wilson may get a gig early,and hopefully a couple of Hotton, Keeler and Van Es can get a gig.

Will start to look like a Ross Lyon team.

Really bullish on Keeler, as him and Ming will legit stretch any of the best defenses in the league and we'll no longer have Higgins trying to body people twice his size in aerial, legit transform our F50 to something with actual bite when you then have blokes that can reliably kick 50+ to them favourably as both just have natural ability when forward obviously.

I'm happy for Keeler to build time as his body shapes up to AFL standard, last thing we need is another Kosi and random breaks curtailing a trajectory.

Stocker and Caminiti
Dow for cheap

As best l can figure, on balance it was:

Collard -- Gresh
Garcia -- Billings
Henry -- free
Shoey -- free
Bonner -- free
Dow & Hastie -- Coff + 3rd & f4th
Wilson -- FRDP

Though there'sa strong element of luck attached, there's no doubt SOS made his own this time around.
If you want to add Stocker and Hammer to the freebies group (personally l wouldn't) then so much the better.

Last edited:
Irrespective of the reasons for or differences of opinion, we we're getting previously nothing out of Billings and not that much out of Gresh.
Dow and Henry will easily produce more for the team than what we were getting. Probably Dow alone.

JB was pushed, didn't walk out. Gresh they let go knowing that an end of first round would eventually land about where it did, so clearly they didnt rate him and he was on the edge of the 22 by season's end.

At the very least we didn't lose any blood this offseason. Whilst not improving the top end they did well on building the base and on paper the squad should be better even before you factor in growth from the obvious ones and general improvement from time in the RTB system.
Billings walked.

Your manager doesn’t go on gettable and talk you up if you don’t want to move.

He was contracted to us for another year. He could have sat there and worked his tail off to get back into this side

Billings walked.

He was contracted to us for another year. He could have sat there and worked his tail off to get back into this side
I think it was clear to JB that he wasn't in plans going forward. Perhaps he was also told something to that effect.
His contract was too big and the talk we're still paying some of it says go away IMO.

Gresham was one of the only ones that kept up in the GWS final. Not sure he was fringe. Think he improved. He was one of our few that looked on his way to elite early on, injury ruined a few years but he has potential to still be a gun. Billings wanted out because he saw the writing on the wall. I probably would have held him as depth and hoped that he could push back in rather than pay him to play elsewhere. If the kids coming in to his empty list spot spot end up guns I'll eat my words.

Anyway, so far it looks like we have done well topping up the list with not a great starting spot so fingers crossed to was an inspired move. I'm still stuck in the Trout era where we'd trade players out and take a s**t downgrade with the picks.

Billings walked.

Yes, because he read the room correctly. His manager was desperate because his client's career was at the crossroads. He could have stayed and fulfilled his contract but been finished as a footballer. He's got a chance for a fresh start at Melbourne. My prediction is his decline will simply continue but he was never ever going to get a chance to flip the script at St Kilda. We should have traded him years ago.

Next years draft. Also in West Coasts NGA program. Has a bit of aggro and a lot of class.

6.30 timestamp, Collard mentions him.

Drafting champion might go a long way to keeping both long term.

love it.
What a name - I'll be champing everyone.
Has a bit of mongrel about him too.

Last edited:
As best l can figure, on balance it was:

Collard -- Gresh
Garcia -- Billings
Henry -- free
Shoey -- free
Bonner -- free
Dow & Hastie -- Coff + 3rd & f4th
Wilson -- FRDP

Though there'sa strong element of luck attached, there's no doubt SOS made his own this time around.
If you want to add Stocker and Hammer to the freebies group (personally l wouldn't) then so much the better.
Yes it’s a nice haul…good to hear SOS & Chris Toce getting some kudos they deserve!

I'm still stuck in the Trout era where we'd trade players out and take a s**t downgrade with the picks.

wMlFqwT.gif

Yes it’s a nice haul…good to hear SOS & Chris Toce getting some kudos they deserve!
The quality of kids is obviously still TBD but Garcia is the one is the one I'm looking at to give us an indication as to Toce's acumen. We overpaid for him and he didn't appear on any radars prior to being drafted. Bit of a James Gwilt moment.
SOS was very canny, the more l look into it the more impressive it's getting. Again some luck was involved but he squeezed absolutely every drop out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back