List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we’ll regret not taking Cooper Simpson at 33 when we had the chance, smooth moving mid against a very skinny HBF!

Bank Hastie now and grab Simpson when he inevitably wants out of Freo.

Simples

May have been spooked by Geelong if they were always going to take Mannagh at that pick. Surely higher projection for Hastie given the lack of body maturity. I think it's the way the game is headed too (intercepts over dominant midfields)

Intercept and quick rebound and Hastie is very good at both as a junior.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind young Hastie, however we recruited McLennan and McConnell, both half back options.
Hastie was an interesting selection given our list dynamics, but attacking intercept defenders are an important cog in top teams. Leading up to our pick #33 I think we were keen on Mitchell Edwards the WA Ruckman, but Geelong landed him so we took who we rated the next best selection Hastie. I also liked Cooper Simpson and was hoping we would take him but I guess we rated Hastie higher. He will obviously take some time to develop but looks to have the tools to become a good player.

Huge focus on pace in our drafting as well, that's probably another reason we took Hastie.
The game has evolved from Pagans Paddock to Clarkos cluster both required the ball being kicked into the open space. Close down defensive space Malthouse WCE.
All required the following ways to get it there
1. Kick it effectively...focus on disposal
2. Get there quicker...focus on speed
3. Do it again and again...focus on athletic profile...viz Rooey

GWS shredded us with speed and disposal, we just could not get the ball back except most often when they scored.

Clearly we are looking to recruit 2 and 3 or getting player who have 1 like Schoenmakers who can kick into space.

Game plan set up in defence
Option 1 up through centre with speed or
Option 2 Down the line to the presenting big bloke then spread into centre and continue with Option 1.

Going to be exciting to watch.

Go Saints

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The game has evolved from Pagans Paddock to Clarkos cluster both required the ball being kicked into the open space. Close down defensive space Malthouse WCE.
All required the following ways to get it there
1. Kick it effectively...focus on disposal
2. Get there quicker...focus on speed
3. Do it again and again...focus on athletic profile...viz Rooey

GWS shredded us with speed and disposal, we just could not get the ball back except most often when they scored.

Clearly we are looking to recruit 2 and 3 or getting player who have 1 like Schoenmakers who can kick into space.

Game plan set up in defence
Option 1 up through centre with speed or
Option 2 Down the line to the presenting big bloke then spread into centre and continue with Option 1.

Going to be exciting to watch.

Go Saints

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Shoey was a free hit rather than a strategic pick.
We have 2 clear objectives.
Outside running capacity/ speed, Henry, Wilson, Garcia.
Inside burst speed, Windy, Chito, Dow.

Can't have all of Steele, Crouch, Hunter and Ross through the middle and expect to compete with the top teams. Until that changes we're stuck in 1st gear.

Just come across this little gem.
Thanks to the OP Thorgils

Saints/Zebs highlighted

NATIONAL DRAFT COMBINE TOP 10s​

2km TIME TRIAL

NameStateState League ClubCommunity ClubResult (min:sec)
Tarkyn O’LearyVIC MSandringham DragonsParkdale Vultures5:48
Darcy WilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers5:52
Ethan ReadQLDGC Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin5:56
Jordan CroftVIC MCalder CannonsMaribyrnong Park6:05
Caiden ClearyNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademySydney University6:06
Aiden O’DriscollWAPerthNortham Saints6:06
Archie RobertsVIC MSandringham DragonsHampton Rovers6:08
Connor O’SullivanNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury6:11
Joel FreijahVIC CGWV RebelsHorsham Saints6:13
Harvey JohnstonVIC MSandringham DragonsParkdale Vultures6:17
Koltyn TholstrupWASubiacoNewtown Condingup6:17

20m SPRINT

NameStateState League ClubCommunity ClubResult (sec)
Aiden O’DriscollWAPerthNortham Saints2.871
Will GrahamQLDGC Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin2.915
Caleb WindsorVIC MEastern RangesSouth Belgrave2.916
Lance CollardWASubiacoNorth Beach2.923
Kane McAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta2.930
Zane ZakostelskyWAClaremontNorth Beach2.954
Phoenix GothardNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury2.963
Taylor GoadSASouth AdelaideWillunga2.965
Eion McElholmIrelandN/AN/A2.993
Harry DeMattiaVIC CDandenong StingraysEdithvale-Aspendale2.996

AGILITY TEST

NameStateState League ClubCommunity ClubResult (sec)
Lance CollardWASubiacoNorth Beach8.157
Koltyn TholstrupWASubiacoNewtown Condingup8.194
Angus HastieVIC CGeelong FalconsGeelong West Giants8.204
Bodie RyanSAGlenelgBrighton8.208
Zane ZakostelskyWAClaremontNorth Beach8.233
Ashton MoirSAGlenelgPlympton8.244
Reece TorrentWAPeel ThunderHalls Head8.260
Darcy WilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers8.263
Aiden O’DriscollWAPerthNortham Saints8.302
Nate CaddyVIC MNorthern KnightsYarrambat8.331

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP

NameStateState League ClubCommunity ClubResult (cm)
Zane ZakostelskyWAClaremontNorth Beach80
Phoenix GothardNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury78
Will GrahamQLDGC Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin78
Mitchell EdwardsWAPeel ThunderSouth Mandurah78
Kane McAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta77
Darcy WilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers76
Riley HardemanWASwan DistrictsCaversham75
Jack DeleanSASouth AdelaideReynella74
Taylor GoadSASouth AdelaideWillunga74
Aiden O’DriscollWAPerthNortham Saints73
Caleb WindsorVIC MEastern RangesSouth Belgrave73

RUNNING VERTICAL JUMP

NameStateState League ClubCommunity ClubResult (cm)
Darcy WilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers98
Zane DuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster97
Will GrahamQLDGC Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin95
Kane McAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta95
Mitchell EdwardsWAPeel ThunderSouth Mandurah94
Zane ZakostelskyWAClaremontNorth Beach94
Aiden O’DriscollWAPerthNortham Saints92
Caleb WindsorVIC MEastern RangesSouth Belgrave92
Riley HardemanWASwan DistrictsCaversham91
Cooper SimpsonVIC CDandenong StingraysMt Martha

Last edited:
That's why I believe we had a nice boy policy. We seemed to actively chase guys with very compliant and soft natures. Great for not going off the rails but not great for competitive spirit and ambition. Josh Bruce was sent packing for being too alpha around the bedwetters too.
A. There’s no such thing as an “alpha”, the bloke who came up with the term has since distance himself from it, and if there was, anyone who calls themselves that is clearly not one.

B. Bruce was a solid gold ******* who thought he was the second coming of Anthony Lockett.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wanted Simpson but like the look of Hastie as well. Hopefully it ends up being a genius move.

I see Simpson has been raising some eye brows at Freo's preseason, particularly his ability in front of goals. We cant change our selection, but I dont think you can ever have enough midfielders who can rotate forward and remain dangerous.

I think its called 'draft envy' unfortunately we can't take them all!

Last edited:
I see Simpson has been raising some eye brows at Freo's preseason, particularly his ability in front of goals. We cant change our selection, but I dont think you can ever have enough midfielders who can rotate forward and remain dangerous.

I think its called 'draft envy' but we can't take them all!
Yep. Really wanted him.

B. Bruce was a solid gold ******* who thought he was the second coming of Anthony Lockett.

Spot on there Barrels.

Joshy thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.
Juicy had a cracked about training standards when he landed at the Dogs. For a supposed alpha he did nothing to drive training standards while with us.

One thing for certain, he wouldn't have coped with the current training standards.

Juicy had a cracked about training standards when he landed at the Dogs. For a supposed alpha he did nothing to drive training standards while with us.

One thing for certain, he wouldn't have coped with the current training standards.
You nailed it there Tyrian.

It was a fair old whack that he gave our club when he landed at the Dogs.......and not content with that whack....he gave us another one not long after.

Loved his early years at the Saints but I for one wasn't sad to see the back of him.

I reckon Hastie would have done well in the 20m sprint too if he wasn't disqualified.

Don't think Garcia tested. Anyone know?

Wilson looks an unbelievable athlete
Fair points. Hugo is definitely towards the top end for 20m sprints, I think l remember Shifter saying he tested that way last year.
Also just behind Wilson in the TT so likely top 10 for this draft as well.

Last edited:
Funny how Josh Bruce only turned into a flog once he left us. No complaining about him while he was one of the best contested marks in the comp and kicking goals for us. Gotta love it.

A. There’s no such thing as an “alpha”, the bloke who came up with the term has since distance himself from it, and if there was, anyone who calls themselves that is clearly not one.

Alphas don't dispute the existence of alphas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back