Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
I enjoy your sarcasm!

But yeh I just can’t see it with Jeffo. And you’re right - I’m usually pretty optimistic!

If we are lucky then he becomes a third tall in 3 or 4 years time who doesn’t touch it much but nails his set shots and requires defending.

Reckon he’ll be delisted or traded in 2 or 3 years though.
I hated the Jefferson selection last year as well. My preference was Ed Allen and the tough country kid in Brayden George.

But, I also wrote Judd McVee off after watching him at Casey in 2022 and I openly said that he would be delisted and back playing WAFL ressies in 2023.. 🥴 So what would I know..

So I've learnt a little lesson there not to write off the kids so early. Everyone develops at a different rate. His last game of the season was incredibly poor and well below the standard. By all reports he's having a good summer so far on the track.

And? This shows nothing. You realise that we traded pick 27 and 35 right?...I would've kept those picks and taken 2 key forwards. With early picks, you go best available. Pretty simple concept to understand I would've thought.
Who were the two stand out key forwards that you would have taken with Pick 26 and 35 then?

I'll wait.

I would rather take some KPF's with 27 & 35 and hope one develops into a player rather than running it back with T-Mac and BBB.

Hell, we could have sent Melkshakes to the knackery and use a rookie spot on a KPP.
So who were key position forwards that you personally would have taken?

I'm guessing you were well across the draft to know what ideal draftees would have been availing around these selections right?

Didnt mind Archer Reid as a KPF prospect with some upside,he was selected around 30 I think by West Coast...but like Jefferson, hes a couple of years away so wouldnt have contributed next year (every chance he becomes nothing also)

Interesting to see Disco, Howes, Woey & Laurie all get written up in the HS & Age as players expected to break through.

Who drops out and can this be done while staying in the window?

Interesting to see Disco, Howes, Woey & Laurie all get written up in the HS & Age as players expected to break through.

Who drops out and can this be done while staying in the window?
Disco imo could easily slot next to Lever and May now that Petty will be forward. Bumped into him in town in the off season and he's put on a few kilo's because the club really wants to cement him into the team next year. He looks in a great shape btw.

I think Woey will in the position that Harmes/Jordon were over thr past two years. Bit of a support act for the midfield foil. If Jordon can play 16 AFL games this year then no reason why Woey can't do the same next year?

I think Laurie will be eyeing both Chandler and Spargo's spot. Chandler had a poor finish to the year after a great start and Spargo was poor last year in general. Laurie has the ability to go into the midfield as a chop out unlike Spargo and Chandler. In the VFL this year there were games where Laurie had 30 plus possessions as a midfielder, so theres potential there.
Andy Moniz Wakefield is a watch in this area as well.

Howes has versatility to play anywhere. He really impressed me off half back this year and I honestly think a wing/half back role is there for him next year. He's my tip for a round 1 debut.

So who were key position forwards that you personally would have taken?

I'm guessing you were well across the draft to know what ideal draftees would have been availing around these selections right?

I will give you my picks once you have made the argument that the smart play was to run it back with T-Mac and BBB instead of rejuvenating the list.

I will give you my picks once you have made the argument that the smart play was to run it back with T-Mac and BBB instead of rejuvenating the list.

That's a massive cop out.

You're the one saying we would have been better off drafting key forwards with those later picks - Tell us who now so we can then compare them during the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for proving my point. Name a club with two good young key forwards in the reserves next year.
By ‘good’ I meant solid prospects - not stars being held back.

JVR played his first season at Casey and was going along very nicely. I fact most decent KPFs play a decent amount of VFL before they cement their spot in the seniors.

Are you saying that you think we’ve got a good balance of tall forwards on our list when you consider Petty is leaving?

Almost certainly the case, also we do lack a bit of depth down back if Petty plays forward.
Apparently the club is keen to play more youngsters this year so it will be interesting to see if Turner and Adams get many games.

Picking up Hore again was a pretty shrewd move but it will make it harder for those young 2 to make selection.

By ‘good’ I meant solid prospects - not stars being held back.

JVR played his first season at Casey and was going along very nicely. I fact most decent KPFs play a decent amount of VFL before they cement their spot in the seniors.

Are you saying that you think we’ve got a good balance of tall forwards on our list when you consider Petty is leaving?
No but I think the club has so many issues going forward that to get 2 good young key forwards will blow our draft wad for years. Meanwhile our key defence and midfield is the real issue

Apparently the club is keen to play more youngsters this year so it will be interesting to see if Turner and Adams get many games.

Picking up Hore again was a pretty shrewd move but it will make it harder for those young 2 to make selection.
Which I completely agree with but I also think might be an acceptance the sharp part of our window is closed/closing

Which I completely agree with but I also think might be an acceptance the sharp part of our window is closed/closing

I do agree, and tbh the club is probably doing the right thing as it'll be extremely difficult to pull out a flag in the next 2-3 years but if we can blood some guys in 2024 and Gawn/May can hold on for at least one more good year in 2025 or 2026 it is our best shot.

That's a massive cop out.

You're the one saying we would have been better off drafting key forwards with those later picks - Tell us who now so we can then compare them during the year.

We can go tit for tat on this one; comparing rookies who you don't expect to debut against veterans to prove your point is a cop out.

The output of whoever we drafted will be no less than the cumulative efforts of T-Mac and BBB, but at least the draftees might have something to offer 2025 onwards.

T-Mac (pick 53, 2010 national draft) and Brown (pick 47, 2013 national draft) are proof that you can find productive KPP's in the later parts of a draft. To say that there would be no talent if we took our later picks is just a loser mentality, but I guess that comes natural to you.

Keeping those two around and re-signing Melksham was just baffling piece of list management.

We can go tit for tat on this one; comparing rookies who you don't expect to debut against veterans to prove your point is a cop out.

The output of whoever we drafted will be no less than the cumulative efforts of T-Mac and BBB, but at least the draftees might have something to offer 2025 onwards.

T-Mac (pick 53, 2010 national draft) and Brown (pick 47, 2013 national draft) are proof that you can find productive KPP's in the later parts of a draft. To say that there would be no talent if we took our later picks is just a loser mentality, but I guess that comes natural to you.

Keeping those two around and re-signing Melksham was just baffling piece of list management.

Cop out. Again. Tell us who you would have picked.

Not every draft is the same, especially in terms of tall talent.

You have stated over and over we were better off next year using those picks instead of having those players on the list, so back up your assertion with something tangible - Tell us WHO at those picks would have been better next year and we'll see how you go.

Otherwise, its just a fluff statement that means absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back