Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
They won't be laughing when we recruit every single ruck in the league and there's none left for anyone else
Think of the trade value when we've cornered the entire ruck market.

Anyone ever had a mate who breaks up with their long term partner then all their rebound hook ups look exactly the same as their ex?

This ruck obsession makes me think Goody hasn't quite gotten over losing Jackson.

Think of the trade value when we've cornered the entire ruck market.
Out: May kicking out down the line

In: Whatever this is

Out: May kicking out down the line

In: Whatever this is

Remember when we thought with Grundy in the side we could put him and Gawn on either wing to make our kickouts less predictable. Then they just ran to the same spot every time anyway.

Masterful coaching, we really had a brilliant plan for Gawndy from day 1.

What a silly post. You need to compare not only the general strike rate of drafting which provides no guarantees, but also the pick where they were taken, so let's look at some of note...

Salem - Pick 9 Solid
JKH - Pick 40 Breakeven
Hunt - Pick 57 Amazing for the pick
Harmes - Rookie Pick 2 Amazing for the pick

Trac - Pick 2 Nailed it
Gus - Pick 3 Solid
ANB - Pick 40 Amazing for the pick
Stretch - Pick 42 Breakeven
OMac - Pick 53 Breakeven

Oliver - Pick 4 Ahead of the pack
Weid - Pick 9 Fail
Joel Smith - Rookie Pick 41 Amazing for the pick

Hannan - Pick 46 Breakeven

Spargo - Pick 29 Bordering on fail
Fritsch - Pick 31 Amazing for the pick
Petty - Pick 37 Amazing for the pick
Baker - Pick 48 Solid given the range

Sparrow - Pick 27 Solid
Jordon - Pick 33 Fail
Bedford - Pick 75 Amazing for the pick
Chandler - Rookie Pick 15 Amazing for the pick

Jackson - Pick 3 Ahead of the pack
Pickett - Pick 12 Solid given the range
Rivers - Pick 32 Amazing for the pick

Not much point going later than that as it's a bit too early to judge in most cases, and judging anyone picked past 40 as a failure is just absurd given the average strike rate for picks that late.

As if you look over that record and judge it harshly.

This is a pleasing colour scheme if you ignore the content.

Salem & Brayshaw ‘meh’ ?

Can’t agree with that. Gus is extremely brave. Lacks polish but an important cog across halfback and midfield rotation. Particularly don’t get the hate for Salem on here. Had a rough run with injuries but his best footy has been very good … and important. Good decision maker, quick clean ‘get out kicks’. Big body. Reminds me a bit of Brett Lovett (although Lovey was a better player).

They aren’t A graders but both solid next-tier first 22 players in a top 4 side. That’s nothing to sneeze at.

Your point about Jason Taylor having too many misses in picks under 40 is valid though. That list doesn’t read particularly well.
Yeah Gus is very meh. He's an afl level role player who plays his best footy as a defensive mid. You'd be more the disappointed if we grabbed 2 more Gus Brayshaws if we had picks 4/5 this year.

Salem same again. Decent but meh. 28 years old an one great season, alot of average ones. Just a meh considering we had an earlier pick and slid back to grab him

Duursma’s late form has pushed him out of our reach you’d expect, given North and Hawks would happily take a medium forward.

I can’t see Curtain sliding past pick 3/4 either.

On the plus side this might give us a shot at McKercher. If we can get that second pick from GC then McKercher plus O’Sullivan or Watson is what I see us taking.

If GC don’t deal with us on their pick then I can see us being the first team to bid on Ethan Read too.

Duursma’s late form has pushed him out of our reach you’d expect, given North and Hawks would happily take a medium forward.

I can’t see Curtain sliding past pick 3/4 either.

On the plus side this might give us a shot at McKercher. If we can get that second pick from GC then McKercher plus O’Sullivan or Watson is what I see us taking.

If GC don’t deal with us on their pick then I can see us being the first team to bid on Ethan Read too.
Yuck would ******* hate us to lose our first pick on a ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salem meh
JKH failure

Brayshaw meh
Stretch failure

Weid failure
King failure
Hewlett failure

Hannah meh

Baker failure
Spargo meh

Jordan failure

Laurie meh
Rosman failure

Howes looking meh

So acting like it's guaranteed success with every pick from him ain't true.
Salem and Brayshaw have been AA squad players. Meh is pretty harsh on them

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Salem and Brayshaw have been AA squad players. Meh is pretty harsh on them

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
If they were picks 30 and 40 sure.
Gus was #3,
He plays his best footy when he sacrifices his own game for the team. Kinda proves my point

If they were picks 30 and 40 sure.
Gus was #3,
He plays his best footy when he sacrifices his own game for the team. Kinda proves my point
Can't believe we passed on Jarrod Pickett, Caleb Marchbank and Paul Ahern

Can't believe we passed on Jarrod Pickett, Caleb Marchbank and Paul Ahern
Great reading if you completely ignore Jordan De Goey or Peter Wright or Jake Lever, Toum Millet Brayden Maynard etc.

But sure Gus was easily the 3rd best player in the draft

Great reading if you completely ignore Jordan De Goey or Peter Wright or Jake Lever, Toum Millet Brayden Maynard etc.

But sure Gus was easily the 3rd best player in the draft
I've mentioned De Goey before. Still not convinced he would have been a better pick. Higher ceiling but ver patchy career. Peter Wright was s**t for 80% of his career and was traded to the Bombers for a packet of chips, had one and a half good seasons since. Lever's a fair shout but would have been a massive reach at 3 dealing with an ACL in his draft year, in fact I'm pretty sure we were hoping he'd slide to our second rounder that year. Bringing up blokes who went at 29 and 30 is just absurd no one was rating them as the top talent. Maybe we should have taken James Hird with our first pick in 1990 too, he only slipped to pick 79. Every recruiter sucks if you judge them on that metric.

I've mentioned De Goey before. Still not convinced he would have been a better pick. Higher ceiling but ver patchy career. Peter Wright was s**t for 80% of his career and was traded to the Bombers for a packet of chips, had one and a half good seasons since. Lever's a fair shout but would have been a massive reach at 3, in fact I'm pretty sure we were hoping he'd slide to our second rounder that year. Bringing up blokes who went at 29 and 30 is just absurd no one was rating them as the top talent. Maybe we should have taken James Hird with our first pick in 1990 too, he only slipped to pick 79. Every recruiter sucks if you judge them on that metric.
Nope. My comment was meh. He was a meh pick. If you wanna argue he was a good pick then I can argue blokes taken later because that's what great recruiters do.

JDG is a way better player than Gus cmon mate

Nope. My comment was meh. He was a meh pick. If you wanna argue he was a good pick then I can argue blokes taken later because that's what great recruiters do.

JDG is a way better player than Gus cmon mate
I agree with Bluelegs - JDGs best is significantly better than Brayshaw, but his career has been lesser - too injured, too patchy, too ratbagy.

It's almost Sylvia like. One step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back