List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
The problem with 17/18 is that GWS have 16 and we know what happened last year - Rowston. We might trade down but find ourselves matching a Cleary bid earlier

Which is why I am not a fan of bidding in order to be dicks. It stands a real chance of biting you in the arse eventually.

You obviously have either no idea how the points system works or you think Collingwood will be having a pick at 19.
There is no way we will have a deficit in this case.
Why so aggressive?

Either way, pick 19 is meant to slide to pick 25 based on phantoms

We have 45+55 which is less than 604points needed to match without going into deficit

I find it amusing that many on here are annoyed at the NRL nabbing Woods, yet others are happy to let a kid who stuck with us and the code, go to Collingwood.
If we don't match on Cleary - wherever he's bid and no matter the deficit, in my opinion it sends all kinds of wrong messages.

Completely agree.

This year Cleary was the best of our Academy Reps in the Champion Allies team. At minimum we take him and one of the other lads as a Category B. The Club has indicated it will not take Irish lads as Ct Bs and will take an Academy player each year. (Iirc it was Beatson).

imo May, Read and probably Cabor are worthy of drafting On the Cat A or B list. Have them ahead of the older Kirk who to my eye looked plain in his VFL games.

Why so aggressive?

Either way, pick 19 is meant to slide to pick 25 based on phantoms

We have 45+55 which is less than 604points needed to match without going into deficit

Just that poster’s habitual style.

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?
20, 20, 24 hours to go
I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do, nowhere to go-oh
I wanna be sedated

Just a reminder of some numbers as we prepare to draft our next superstars and future captains over the next two nights...

In the decade between 2010 & 2019, we drafted 37 "kids" (that is, 18 year olds in their first year of draft eligibility, so excluding mature players like Aliir) in national drafts.

Only 48.6% of them are still on AFL lists.

Only 40.5% of them lasted beyond five years with us.

And only 27% of them are still on our list.

I imagine the numbers for other clubs are even more grim considering we're one of the best when it comes to recruiting.

In short... hope for a 2018 draft, expect a 2012 one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta give you something to post about. I even dropped an Ethan Phillips reference for you yesterday (as a potential KPD late pick / rookie). He's nominated for the draft. Any thoughts?
Thanks mate but i don't read all of the posts and congratulations on the gold which is surely yours unless old mate goes into a frenzy .
Phillips is an interesting one , the Hawks need height down back and he's good , but it's an attitude thing with him and the Father paid out on a couple of clubs last year for not drafting him

Thread is now locked - you can move over to the Swans Board Game Day Day 1 & Day 2 Draft Thread

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back