Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Given there's a few Under 18 Allies vs VFL/SANFL games coming up today and later in the year, I thought it was worth starting a thread for any of the watchers to discuss prospects they like and as some sort of a gameday thread for those matches.

Some notable prospects this year:

Harley Ried
Nick Watson
Ashton Moir
Daniel Curtin
Zane Duursma
Will Lorenz
Jack Delean
Nate Caddy
Archer Reid

And many more. All should be featuring in todays game and throughout the year at different levels.

This week should be all about where we play Reid.
Tell you what when u look like Dustin Martin playing middle, Luke Hodge down back and Jake Stringer up forward... I'm not sure I've ever seen a kid as good as him. Gave a stiff arm that sent one of the Port SANFL boys 2 ft in the air lmao.

Tell you what when u look like Dustin Martin playing middle, Luke Hodge down back and Jake Stringer up forward... I'm not sure I've ever seen a kid as good as him. Gave a stiff arm that sent one of the Port SANFL boys 2 ft in the air lmao.
If they'd allowed 17-year-olds in last year's draft, he would have gone #1 ahead of all the 18-year-olds.

Anticipate whoever finishes last will get some amazing offers to get pick #1, though doubt it will be traded. Only really plausible trade would be if WCE finish last, and GWS offer them their pick and Richmond's, assuming both GWS and Richmond finish lowish. GWS traded up for Cadman, would likely do it again for Reid. WCE might consider it if the best of the picks they receive back would be good enough to pick up Curtain.

Anticipate whoever finishes last will get some amazing offers to get pick #1, though doubt it will be traded. Only really plausible trade would be if WCE finish last, and GWS offer them their pick and Richmond's, assuming both GWS and Richmond finish lowish. GWS traded up for Cadman, would likely do it again for Reid. WCE might consider it if the best of the picks they receive back would be good enough to pick up Curtain.
Yeah there will be some outrageous offers, he's something else.

Cam Twomey thinks there will be a club that offers 3 first round picks for Harley Reid, that’s how ridiculously good this kid is….
Certainly worth entertaining if your WCE who probably of all clubs need to replenish their list the most, it would give them (3-firsts (2-early 2nds (2-3rds to kickstart the list build with, couldn’t see another club giving up such a generational talent to be honest…

Last edited:
Cam Twomey thinks there will be a club that offers 3 first round picks for Harley Reid, that’s how ridiculously good this kid is….
Certainly worth entertaining if your WCE who probably of all clubs need to replenish their list the most, it would give them 4 firsts to kickstart the list with, couldn’t see another club giving up such a generational talent to be honest…

And I think they would seriously consider it, as there are a number of pointy end WA talent this year

Certainly worth entertaining if your WCE who probably of all clubs need to replenish their list the most, it would give them 4 firsts to kickstart the list with, couldn’t see another club giving up such a generational talent to be honest…
I can't see any club giving up Harley unless its an interstate club and there's homesickness risk. He can play anywhere on the ground at an elite level and from what I've seen of him I'd genuinely say the only 'fault' in his game is he's a bit lippy and gives away some silly free kicks just by being a dick to his opponent after dominating them.

We don't have the currency to even consider trading for him but I'd move heaven and earth if we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see any club giving up Harley unless its an interstate club and there's homesickness risk. He can play anywhere on the ground at an elite level and from what I've seen of him I'd genuinely say the only 'fault' in his game is he's a bit lippy and gives away some silly free kicks just by being a dick to his opponent after dominating them.

We don't have the currency to even consider trading for him but I'd move heaven and earth if we did.
Can’t really see it happening myself, there probably will be one crazy offer from one club…

Lucky club whoever lands him, as for us we’re got our own list issues that need attention, obtaining an extra ND late 1st(highly unlikely) or multiple 2nd rounders this year if we can is hopefully in our planning, maybe a particular player type from another club we need becomes available, who knows…

Last edited:
Can’t really see it happening myself, there probably will be one crazy offer from one club…

Lucky club whoever lands him, as for us we’re got our own list issues that need attention, obtaining an extra ND 1st or multiple 2nd rounders this year if we can is hopefully in our planning, maybe a particular player type we need becomes available, who knows…
Eh either way we'd need North to finish last and us trade them Mckay or something crazy to get our hands on him. Won't happen as much as I'd love to see Reid in Navy Blue.

Personally, from the game today I loved the look of McKercher, Wilson, Watson and Philactides. Tholstrup did some nice things but I have question marks on his body. Just looks a bit weird similar to someone like Nick Blakey in that he's just a bit odd in his movements. May not have any impact on his ability but catches the eye for the wrong reasons to me.

Moir and Duursma looked to really struggle in the congestion and scrappiness of the game. Moir is a lot more filled out than I thought though, has real shades of Heeney with just a great athletic build and an incredible leap. Didn't get to see him impact the game with his penetrating kicking in the conditions unfortunately. Duursma, just didn't do much outside of a goal.

Caddy was another that did some good things but I worry he's more manchild than footballer, can wrestle and gallop around but don't know if he's got a lot of forward smarts. A wait and see.

McKercher and Watson comfortably the most impressive for me outside of Reid. Watson can play all over the ground and his pace is seriously electric.

Eh either way we'd need North to finish last and us trade them Mckay or something crazy to get our hands on him. Won't happen as much as I'd love to see Reid in Navy Blue.

Personally, from the game today I loved the look of McKercher, Wilson, Watson and Philactides. Tholstrup did some nice things but I have question marks on his body. Just looks a bit weird similar to someone like Nick Blakey in that he's just a bit odd in his movements. May not have any impact on his ability but catches the eye for the wrong reasons to me.

Moir and Duursma looked to really struggle in the congestion and scrappiness of the game. Moir is a lot more filled out than I thought though, has real shades of Heeney with just a great athletic build and an incredible leap. Didn't get to see him impact the game with his penetrating kicking in the conditions unfortunately. Duursma, just didn't do much outside of a goal.

Caddy was another that did some good things but I worry he's more manchild than footballer, can wrestle and gallop around but don't know if he's got a lot of forward smarts. A wait and see.

McKercher and Watson comfortably the most impressive for me outside of Reid. Watson can play all over the ground and his pace is seriously electric.
I’ll be having a look at the game over the next few days, thanks for the feedback Walshy Cheers 👍

Note on Watson and Reid they both moved behind the ball after half time as their teams were doing stuff all outside of a few players. Instantly became the key distributors and looked better than everyone else in those roles too.
Though Curtin is a lovely kick, similar to Weiters doesn't look to get involved as often as he could.

If they'd allowed 17-year-olds in last year's draft, he would have gone #1 ahead of all the 18-year-olds.
We had a kid during the mid 70's who possibly would have been the #1 pick as a 16-year-old, or at the very least top 2 or 3.....won the Carlton U19 B&F that year, and got beaten in the Morrish Medal the same year by a single vote (below).

Of course back in the day there was no draft - where you played depended on which zone you resided....we were just lucky he lived on this side of the street and not the other, which was Nth Melb's zone.

Barassi, who was North's coach at the time, tried everything he could to get Harmes to North as a 15yo - at a time when they were becoming a 'powerhouse' during the mid 70's era. Barassi knew first hand how freakishly good he was, and had close connections to the family through Norm Smith - but ultimately threw in the towel, and instructed Ray Jordan - who was their recruiting officer - to contact Carlton to go and have a look at this kid playing local junior footy. The rest is history.

Not that this has anything to do with this year's draft, but just thought I'd throw it in....a bit of lazy Sunday afternoon reminiscing.

1681610465691.png

We had a kid during the mid 70's who possibly would have been the #1 pick as a 16-year-old, or at the very least top 2 or 3.....won the Carlton U19 B&F that year, and got beaten in the Morrish Medal the same year by a single vote (below).

Of course back in the day there was no draft - where you played depended on which zone you resided....we were just lucky he lived on this side of the street and not the other, which was Nth Melb's zone.

Barassi, who was North's coach at the time, tried everything he could to get Harmes to North as a 15yo - at a time when they were becoming a 'powerhouse' during the mid 70's era. Barassi knew first hand how freakishly good he was, and had close connections to the family through Norm Smith - but ultimately threw in the towel, and instructed Ray Jordan - who was their recruiting officer - to contact Carlton to go and have a look at this kid playing local junior footy. The rest is history.

Not that this has anything to do with this year's draft, but just thought I'd throw it in....a bit of lazy Sunday afternoon reminiscing.

View attachment 1661971

Is that what 18 year old's looked like back then?

Man those guy's are at least 30. 🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back