Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

ESPN phantom draft has us taking Moir and Schoenmaker. Would be happy with that. Also links us to Sanchez, Jiath, Reid and Edwards.
I'd be taking Sanchez in a heartbeat if he's still available at our pick - reckon this kid will be a gem as a forward/mid. Hadn't heard that he's been linked to us before this article, but would be a great pick imo.

Reid, Schoenmaker, Moir would also be good pick ups - Edwards may not be an area of immediate need, but looks a great talent in the ruck. Jiath I'm not particularly keen on - still incredibly raw, and I'm not convinced we need another project player alongside Akuei, Mirkov, Monahan and Duffy.

So, across all media the players we have been linked to so far are Moir, Lual, Collard, Roberts, Schoenmaker, Sanchez, Jiath, Reid, Edwards. Moir and Lual are the 2 that have been mentioned several times.

Reading between the lines it looks like we most likely take one small / medium forward (Moir, Collard, Sanchez) and one half back (Lual, Roberts, Schoenmaker, Jiath) with an outside chance we take a ruck or key forward (Edwards, Reid).

Haven't been linked to any mids or key defenders. Makes sense given we are well stocked for both and there aren't a heap of great options around our draft range.

So, across all media the players we have been linked to so far are Moir, Lual, Collard, Roberts, Schoenmaker, Sanchez, Jiath, Reid, Edwards. Moir and Lual are the 2 that have been mentioned several times.

Reading between the lines it looks like we most likely take one small / medium forward (Moir, Collard, Sanchez) and one half back (Lual, Roberts, Schoenmaker, Jiath) with an outside chance we take a ruck or key forward (Edwards, Reid).

Haven't been linked to any mids or key defenders. Makes sense given we are well stocked for both and there aren't a heap of great options around our draft range.
I'd draft Goad, if he somehow makes it to our first, if we need a ruckman or not. Moir is still a good chance at our next pick.

I would be surprised if we selected Collard with either of our first two picks. That’s not to say I don’t think he’d be worth a shot at that range.

Good article on Moir.

If we do want him it'll be interesting how we play it given westcoast are linked with the pick after us. May have to use our 1st pick if we think the other player we want is more likely to be available at our 2nd.

With our picks so close together it'll be more about figuring how to get our top 2 players in across those 2 picks then nessecarily using our 1st to grab the top player on our draft board.

Clubs get pretty good Intel these days so should be achievable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be taking Sanchez in a heartbeat if he's still available at our pick - reckon this kid will be a gem as a forward/mid. Hadn't heard that he's been linked to us before this article, but would be a great pick imo.

Reid, Schoenmaker, Moir would also be good pick ups - Edwards may not be an area of immediate need, but looks a great talent in the ruck. Jiath I'm not particularly keen on - still incredibly raw, and I'm not convinced we need another project player alongside Akuei, Mirkov, Monahan and Duffy.

What makes Jiath a project player like the others? Akuie was pocked after an underwhelming junior career as a free hit, the two Irish lads have never played AFL and Markov was a MSD pick after being overlooked at a few drafts and still seems a long way off.

Im not saying Jiath isn’t raw as I haven’t seen him play, but for someone who has had a good season and to be rated in the second round, the comparison with the guys you mentioned seems strange.

Schoenmaker is a key defender IMO. He'll build up his legs and becoming pretty commanding in the air... his change in direction is pretty poor to play as a general defender.

He's sort of like Weitering but with extra skates at the expense of contested ability. I think the reason why both he and Moir aren't being spoken of at 10+ picks higher than this is because they both look likely to sustain regular injuries if they can't build up their bodies.

The both stomp around the park and in the air, but one doesn't look super stable under foot (Schoenmaker), and the other clearly rolls his ankles a fair bit (Moir).

Speed mix won't be improving with that draft haul either, so we're still relying on a host of perenially injured players - and some avoided positional changes - to bridge the gap. Feels like we're playing about 3-5 years behind the best of the competition in this respect.

Schoenmaker is a key defender IMO. He'll build up his legs and becoming pretty commanding in the air... his change in direction is pretty poor to play as a general defender.

He's sort of like Weitering but with extra skates at the expense of contested ability. I think the reason why both he and Moir aren't being spoken of at 10+ picks higher than this is because they both look likely to sustain regular injuries if they can't build up their bodies.

The both stomp around the park and in the air, but one doesn't look super stable under foot (Schoenmaker), and the other clearly rolls his ankles a fair bit (Moir).

Speed mix won't be improving with that draft haul either, so we're still relying on a host of perenially injured players - and some avoided positional changes - to bridge the gap. Feels like we're playing about 3-5 years behind the best of the competition in this respect.
What makes you say that about them?

What makes you say that about them?
Just watching footage, you can see that Schoenmacher struggles to cut laterally, and often doesn't even try. Moir you can see it in how he attacks the ball in the air and lands, and he's copped a hip overuse injury through the year because of that all-action style.

They have elite strengths to their game, but part of becoming a great player is understanding the toll of overusing them, and that you need to build up some of your weaknesses too. You build up your tactics and skillset, then pick your moments, and manage your body through the year.

Moir or Collard with our first, which ever is still on the board.

2022: We need outside run
Austin: Acres, Hollands, Binns

2023: We need forward talent
Austin: Fantasia, Hollands Snr, Moir/Collard

See problem. Fix problem.

I like it. I like it a lot...

2022: We need outside run
Austin: Acres, Hollands, Binns

2023: We need forward talent
Austin: Fantasia, Hollands Snr, Moir/Collard

See problem. Fix problem.

I like it. I like it a lot...
I hope we either trade astutely or pivot if the names disappear before we get a chance to do anything. Long term we've got a need for talent pretty much everywhere on the park if the order sees a shake up.

The more athletic, the better. Hell if Curtin makes it to Geelong or GWS' picks and they're not keen, I'd look very closely at a trade up the order.

I hope we either trade astutely or pivot if the names disappear before we get a chance to do anything. Long term we've got a need for talent pretty much everywhere on the park if the order sees a shake up.

The more athletic, the better. Hell if Curtin makes it to Geelong or GWS' picks and they're not keen, I'd look very closely at a trade up the order.

I can't imagine we don't have a plan B if those names are gone...

And our trade for Binns last year (Edit: meant Cowan) shows we're willing to be proactive to pick up a slider.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back