Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Hold on, that’s a huge gap - and Duffy inform CFC? Shirley not!

My guess is that CFC knew, it had to assess the injury & find a way to break the news gentler

So we now got a rookie spot open - so three picks? Or SPP?
I reckon they news could have been broken more gently if it was announced the day before International Rookies officially joined lists, rather than the day after?
And a simple 'we haven't added him to the list for 2024' would have made it gentler still.

Thoughts, and an early crack for fun:

My rankings:

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Colby McKercher
4. Ethan Read
5. Conor O'Sullivan
6. James Leake
7. Zane Duursma
8. Nick Watson
9. Nate Caddy
10. Lance Collard
11. Ryley Sanders
12. Daniel Curtin
13. Will McCabe
14. Caleb Windsor
15. Jordan Croft

and a crack at a Phantom 1st Rd:

1. WC Harley Reid
2. NM Colby McKercher
3. GC Jed Walter - i think NM got a favourable deal off GC in a trade to skip a bid spot to here. We'll see.
4. NM Zane Duursma
5. Haw Nick Watson
6. WB Ryley Sanders
7. GC Ethan Read
8. Mel Daniel Curtin - i'll put Melb here, but it wouldn't shock to see a trade to WC here involving WC future 1st.
9. GWS Caleb Windsor
10. Gee Nate Caddy
11. Ess James Leake
12. Ade Conor O'Sullivan
13. Ade Darcy Wilson - i've got Melb trading this pick 11 for Adelaide's 14 and 20. Personally i dunno why, but Adel seem to love Wilson, and i see Melb seeing better value from the 2 later picks.
14. Haw Will McCabe
15. WB Jordan Croft
16. Syd Arie Schoenmaker
17. GC Jake Rogers
18. StK Koltyn Tholstrup
19. Melb Harry Demettier
20. NM Lance Collard
21. GWS Joel Freijah
22. NM Ollie Murphy
23. NM Luke Lloyd
24. Coll Archer Reid
25. Melb Will Green
26. StK Charlie Edwards
27 Carl - i'll leave this open so it don't look like i've left a player for us lol...which i haven't.

Third and Last Update of musings. Not much change again:

My List:

1. Harley
2. Walter
3. McKercher
4. O'Sullivan
5. Watson
6. Leake
7. Read
8. Duursma
9. Curtin
10. Caddy
11. Collard
12. Sanders
13. Green
14. Windsor
15. McCabe
16. Goad
17. Croft

Phantom. Guess at how it will actually go. Done yesterday before Cal's.

1.WC Harley
2. NM McKercher
3. GC Walter
4. NM Duursma
5. H Watson
6. WB Sanders
7. WC Curtin - WC get Curtin. Melb get what they covet...a Top 3 Pick for the elite mid, but next year.
8. GWS Windsor
9. GC Read - Bid by Cats
10. Ade O'Sullivan - Ade really would benefit getting this elite KPP. They happily trade 10 & 20 to move up to 8.
11. Ess - Caddy
12. Geel Leake - Cats really happy to get this versatile gun and the extra pick 20 to boot.
13. Mel Tholstrup
14. Haw McCabe - bid by Sydney
15. NM Green - North trade 17 & 18 for the right to draft the best Ruck. Local Northern suburb boy.
16. GC Rogers - Hey, it's SOS
17. WB Croft - Hey, it's SOS again.
18. StK C.Edwards
19. Ade Wilson - Ade gamble ends up with their 2 faves instead of 3 picks.
20. NM Collard
21. GWS Jiath
22. Syd Goad
23. Syd Hardeman - Syd get these 2 for trading down.
24. Coll Schoenmaker
25. Gee Dawson - Cats get this extra pick for trading down from 8 to 10.
26. StK DeMattia
27. Carlton Moir

I reckon they news could have been broken more gently if it was announced the day before International Rookies officially joined lists, rather than the day after?
And a simple 'we haven't added him to the list for 2024' would have made it gentler still.
The wording around "we'll support him through his recovery" was a bit vague (in context of clarity as to list status)

The wording around "we'll support him through his recovery" was a bit vague (in context of clarity as to list status)

I read it as we'll make sure he has access to the best medical care. Probably help him with some costs, keep in touch with his physio and surgeon to ensure he is rehabbing like a professional athlete. Then reasses later in the year to see if coming over still suits both parties. No guarantees though.

Hopefully in the meantime we can lobby the AFL to allow us to have 2 Irish players as Cat B rookies (not sure why it's restricted to one). Would make it alot easier taking an international rookie coming off an ACL if he wasn't going to take a regular list spot.

By GCS Academy picks HAW & WBD father/sons picks being chewed up along with all clubs predicted amounts of total draft picks from Cal Twomey’s Phantom draft, the back end picks will come in considerably our current pick 68 could potentially come in another 18/22 spots to 50/46…
Maybe a deal for more future points for a swap of a back ended pick (Cottrell upgrade) this year for an interested club after a particular player still on the board…

If we are still interested in Mannagh that will be right on his range. Don’t think he makes it to us in the rookie draft but unsure if we’d want to give him two years.

It would be great to know how many list spots we have.

What is Moir's heritage? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Ashton Moir is obviously a like for like Jack Martin replacement and that's an important role for the future.

I think Cooper Simpson is the one we are really missing as a pacy inside mid. Dow was the only one we had but Simpson is quicker and hits the scoreboard.

A bit of moneyball with those two as injuries have them sliding from earlier projections.

I would be happy with Angus Hastie as a Saad/Williams replacement.

Also wouldn't be unhappy with Mitchell Edwards, Taylor Goad, Zane Zakostelsky and Arie Schoenmaker.

Also happy to trade up for Daniel Curtin and maybe at a pinch Connor O'Sullivan.

Ashton Moir is obviously a like for like Jack Martin replacement and that's an important role for the future.

I think Cooper Simpson is the one we are really missing as a pacy inside mid. Dow was the only one we had but Simpson is quicker and hits the scoreboard.

A bit of moneyball with those two as injuries have them sliding from earlier projections.

Also wouldn't be unhappy with Mitchell Edwards, Taylor Goad, Zane Zakostelsky and Arie Schoenmaker.

Also happy to trade up for Daniel Curtin and maybe at a pinch Connor O'Sullivan.

Parents sound like they kick ass

111573153.jpg

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The quality drops after top15 or so, as many have already stated, very thin to negligible options for midfielders or tall KPF after that point.
We may still find a suitable Mid/ Sml sized forward and possibly a KPD/Ruck prospect that we would be happy with.

Occurs to me that the son of two Taekwondo Olympians was probably kicking with both legs since he was 4-5.

So the dual-sidedness makes sense

Occurs to me that the son of two Taekwondo Olympians was probably kicking with both legs since he was 4-5.

I don't recall ever seeing a player like him that alternates feet when kicking drop punt set-shots. Sometimes he uses his right, other times his left depending on where he is. Indicates he really is just as comfortable off either foot.

Most dual sided players still have a preffered side and will go to it when they have time and space. Cerra is great off his wrong foot bit you'd never see him kicking a set shot on his left (snaps excluded).

1. Harley
2. Walter -GCS
3. Sanders
4. McKercher
5. Read -GCS
6. O’Sullivan
7. Watson
8. Curtain
9. Caddy
10. Croft -WBD
11. Windsor
12. Duursma
13. Rodgers -GCS
14. Wilson
15. Leake
16. Graham -GCS
17. Murphy
18. McCabe -HAW
19. Kolsstrup
20. Edwards.C
21. Collard
22. Edwards.M
23. Green
24. Simpson
25. Goad
26. Cleary -SYD
27. Gothard
28. Moir
29. Hastie
30. DeMattis
31. Morris
32. McAulffie
33. Wilson.B
34. Stephens
35. Patton
36. Dawson
37. Shipp
38. Zacostalsky
39. Schoenmakers
40. Lual

Last edited:

Just from what we've read or heard on the grapevine, we've been 'linked' to players in almost every position on the ground. Having said that, most we've been linked to look pretty good:

Small forward: Collard
Medium forward: Moir
Midfielder: Simpson
Ruck: Edwards
Half back: Wilson/Carroll

I tend to think that Collard will be gone by our pick - but my personal preference of those would be Moir/Edwards and Simpson....probably leaning towards Moir and Simpson although I wouldn't be upset of we did select Edwards.

Wilson should get picked up later in the draft - Collingwood a big chance to take him with their 2nd pick - but Carroll probably still available for a rookie spot just going on form guides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From reading Twomey’s article, it seems like it’s only St Kilda that would stand in the way of Wilson or Carroll getting through to the rookie draft. Like with Caminiti, it seems like SOS would draft them just to spite us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From reading Twomey’s article, it seems like it’s only St Kilda that would stand in the way of Wilson or Carroll getting through to the rookie draft. Like with Caminiti, it seems like SOS would draft them just to spite us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Meme Reaction GIF

Collard
Moir
Schoenmaker
Edwards
Lual
Roberts
Simpson
Carroll

Gotta select two, who you got?
Apart from the fact I'd have Wilson over Carroll in a heartbeat, it's a pretty feckin' good list. And you could easily throw Sanchez, Gothard and Morris into the mix, as well as a few others.

And the beauty is that most should still be available with our 2 picks assuming we don't trade.

You could probably take a combination of any of those and still walk away with a smile - which just further justifies the Fisher trade to get us that extra early pick thanks to Austin. We may have slid back 5 spots with our first pick, but we shot up 40 spots with our second.

I have been thinking about Twomey's phantom for us.

It's pretty clear that we didn't give him much.

He'd also be talking to the draftees agents, which is where he will have gotten the rookie-range player names ( Wilson, Cottrell, Wiles).

I think we'll surprise on Tuesday night

Yes and no it’s the same as most sports you have a dominant side.
You then lead or set up with the weaker side footwork is important like reallly important so they could adjust quickly to kicks.
I took it to another level when i stuffed my right ankle and only used my left it took a year but it gave me two queens in a chess match.
I don’t think this is the case with this kid it’s come from home practice or just wild talent but not a lot from Taekwondo some but not a lot

I have been thinking about Twomey's phantom for us.

It's pretty clear that we didn't give him much.

He'd also be talking to the draftees agents, which is where he will have gotten the rookie-range player names ( Wilson, Cottrell, Wiles).

I think we'll surprise on Tuesday night

Sounds we leaked them on purpose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back