Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Some notes from Agresta interview:
  • Last year we were specifically looking to build our running profile, this year just building overall depth (best available)
Perfect

• There is a group of 8-10 players we are looking at for our 2 picks (confirmed Collard, M.Edwards, Moir are part of that group)
Think we will add 1 of these names, not disappointed

• Spoke about how Moir had a frustrating season with injury, suspension and having to play across different teams but is very talented.
Extremely talented

Trading up is dead for CFC
Was never alive despite the narrative

As for this year. Unless sone sliders appear -
Sounds like Moir (Talk about) & Simpson (guess based on needs)
Happy with both

George Stevens was interviewed on SEN late last week, what an absolute ripping kid!!

His brother Archie of course plays for our VFL side, so George has now become a Carlton supporter in the footsteps of his brother.

From what he was saying, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest....apparently there's only been 2 clubs that have ventured down to meet his parents, which seems a bit of a worrying sign. I hope he gets selected though - if he falls through to our rookie selection or invite him as a train on, happy days.

r436_493_5697_4000_w6000_h4000_fmax.jpg
Big lad, I’ve read the knocks on him but any kid who misses 12 months of footy across both his U18 years and comes back and can get the ball 30 times in the VFL has plenty to work with.

Sway your opinion at all?
On Moir, No, Butter. If that’s not what you meant, yeah it does a bit. His mates know people. I can see the logic behind the drunken Tasmanian or the catch everything Sandgroper. Won’t cry if we went that way, but I’d always debate it. Personally, I have a list of about 10-15, headed by Simpson, who I’d be happy with.

Just for those interested and who mightn't know when Carlton will pick over the next 2 nights. It looks certain we will keep our 2 current Picks 22 and 28 (before bids push them out a bit further.)

Our 1st Pick will be the last pick on Monday Night for certain.

Our 2nd Pick is currently the 3rd pick on Tuesday Night, but will likely end up being the 5th Pick on Tuesday Night after GC sell 2 picks(24&27) to Brisbane and StKilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was clear to me from Agresta's interview is we're definitely targeting a forward impact player with one of our picks. Mentioned that earlier in the year when we were in our slump we were looking at names like Reid, Watson, Duursma. Then confirming Moir, Collard and Edwards are around our mix later in the interview.

I could live with a combo of Moir and M.Edwards as picks but would much prefer Collard and Schoenmaker of players around our picks if both were available. Edwards is a gun player, but personally just don't think a developing ruck is a massive need depending on how the club rates HOK and Mirkov. He projects as a potentially Gawn or English level ruck though so wouldn't be complaining, has huge upside and would be close to the most complete young ruck to come through in a fair few years. E.Read higher rated due to his versatility but Edwards the better pure ruck imo.

Moir is the one that raises eyebrows though... Last year he was seen as the next mercurial Isaac Heeney type player we would have been desperate to get. This year he scarred me with his champs performances. He was horrendous around the contest and looked afraid of contact throughout. I've never had any issues with my hip so I don't know how much his could have effected him during the champs but his positioning around the ball, ability to break tackles, overhead marking and agility was all just yuck. Still had lovely skills via foot but a lot of the rest of his game was very off putting. Have to back in Austin and co if they are across his injury issues and are expecting him to become that mercurial player he was seen as last year but I have huge doubts.

Schoenmaker, Roberts, Simpson, Lual etc are all clearly just outside run and class by foot types. Won't be too fussed with which one we pick, my preference would be Schoenmaker then Lual though. Lual played some fantastic lock down roles through the champs and with our plethora of half back options I think he'd fit in the best in our back 6 given his defensive game. Schoenmaker is the biggest offensive weapon of the group and imo could replace Kemp or Mcgovern down back to unleash them further afield in time which could massively benefit us long term.

Don't imagine we'll have any surprises tomorrow re trading up.

What was clear to me from Agresta's interview is we're definitely targeting a forward impact player with one of our picks. Mentioned that earlier in the year when we were in our slump we were looking at names like Reid, Watson, Duursma. Then confirming Moir, Collard and Edwards are around our mix later in the interview.

I could live with a combo of Moir and M.Edwards as picks but would much prefer Collard and Schoenmaker of players around our picks if both were available. Edwards is a gun player, but personally just don't think a developing ruck is a massive need depending on how the club rates HOK and Mirkov. He projects as a potentially Gawn or English level ruck though so wouldn't be complaining, has huge upside and would be close to the most complete young ruck to come through in a fair few years. E.Read higher rated due to his versatility but Edwards the better pure ruck imo.

Moir is the one that raises eyebrows though... Last year he was seen as the next mercurial Isaac Heeney type player we would have been desperate to get. This year he scarred me with his champs performances. He was horrendous around the contest and looked afraid of contact throughout. I've never had any issues with my hip so I don't know how much his could have effected him during the champs but his positioning around the ball, ability to break tackles, overhead marking and agility was all just yuck. Still had lovely skills via foot but a lot of the rest of his game was very off putting. Have to back in Austin and co if they are across his injury issues and are expecting him to become that mercurial player he was seen as last year but I have huge doubts.

Schoenmaker, Roberts, Simpson, Lual etc are all clearly just outside run and class by foot types. Won't be too fussed with which one we pick, my preference would be Schoenmaker then Lual though. Lual played some fantastic lock down roles through the champs and with our plethora of half back options I think he'd fit in the best in our back 6 given his defensive game. Schoenmaker is the biggest offensive weapon of the group and imo could replace Kemp or Mcgovern down back to unleash them further afield in time which could massively benefit us long term.

Don't imagine we'll have any surprises tomorrow re trading up.

Moir is more of a McGovern clone in this draft in more ways than one

I reckon when the drafting team said that their pick would be available at 17 or 22 they were talking about Moir or Simpson.

Fun fact... Adding insights and explanations makes posts less cryptic.

Which part was unclear? IMHO Moir is a Gov clone and better option than Kemp

Also IMHO, Schoenmaker is largely overrated, poor defensively, burns shorter hitups by foot and I would only recruit him with a view to play him as a tall wingman

Which part was unclear? IMHO Moir is a Gov clone and better option than Kemp

Also IMHO, Schoenmaker is largely overrated, poor defensively, burns shorter hitups by foot and I would only recruit him with a view to play him as a tall wingman
Well when referring to Gov clones it could be entailing a whole range of things. Prodigious talent, poor professionalism early days, extremely prone to injuries, half way between soft and courageous depending on the day, bit of a campaigner too. He's been a bit of an enigma.

If you said clone of Walsh for example I'd have no doubts about anything off field or professionalism wise.

Schoenmaker is a no from me. We are well stocked in that area.
Can play Half Back, Wing and Half Forward sufficiently and is developing his defensive game to play as a 3rd tall. He's more utility than anything else at this stage, could end up anywhere on field at the next level.

Can play Half Back, Wing and Half Forward sufficiently and is developing his defensive game to play as a 3rd tall. He's more utility than anything else at this stage, could end up anywhere on field at the next level.

Will be surprised if he can play wing or half forward. Looks to lack agility and speed when lve watched highlights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back