Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanchez, love Patton, but linked to Carrol who has enough to build on and perhaps Wills an undersized mid, possibly forward is statistically very good in a questionable competition.

1 player on an extra 80K for an extra year isn't going to hurt, especially if the difference is a player more likely to make it, over 1 that doesn't

Simple as that

I am not entirely sure how lists and list structures work, but maybe the club is looking to keep a spot open for next season's Mid Season Draft (a few clubs have had some real success in that over the last couple of years)

Pre-season Draft underway:

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard (re-listing)
Gold Coast - Sam Day (re-listing)
St Kilda - Riley Bonner

... and now complete!

From what I understand, that may now knock St Kilda out of making any rookie draft picks, while it looks like Adelaide, Hawthorn, and GWS won't be taking any live picks (just re-drafts).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallsy's son David has done some terrific work for Freo in their last national drafts.
Wonder if we can bring him home in the future to work along side Austin and Agesta !!

I really really liked the haul Freo got in this year's draft, one of the big winners I reckon (at this way too early to say stage :) )

Quoting this because it's outlandish how much you're locking in players who aside from TDK - a SOS/Agresta pick - haven't barely played more than 70 AFL games between the 4 of them. Motlop's got star quality, but I'm not sure it's as a small forward despite his goal kicking abilities.

We've just recruited two more forwards this off-season - arguably three - so I think it's pretty safe to say one of Motlop and Durdin are going out of the forward group despite the reasons they were originally targetted by our talent ID.

I'm not claiming all of those players are guaranteed superstars but I don't think anyone is sitting around second guessing the players we picked either. Big step forward.

Motlop and Durdin are as good a chance as any of being in the starting 22 for r1. Motlop would be close to a lock right now. Gets down to form in preseason for Durdin.

I'm not claiming all of those players are guaranteed superstars but I don't think anyone is sitting around second guessing the players we picked either. Big step forward.

Motlop and Durdin are as good a chance as any of being in the starting 22 for r1. Motlop would be close to a lock right now. Gets down to form in preseason for Durdin.

Isn't the plan to always move Motlop into the midfield eventually once he builds his tank and endurance?

Isn't the plan to always move Motlop into the midfield eventually once he builds his tank and endurance?

I doubt Motlop ever becomes a mid.

Maybe he could go in their for the odd burst and play higher up the ground at times but not a full time mid. He'd be a mile off fitness wise and it's pretty rare for guys who have never played midfield to become onballers at senior level.

Well done Austin & Co

E.Hollands
Fantasia
Monaghan
Moir
Wilson
Carroll

all added and didn't cost much at all. Lots of run and pace and excitement in that group

Salary Cap now it a great position to chase players if needed, we have good picks next year to play with plus the Campo twins

A number of players coming off contract that will be fighting for new deals and all our top end talent tied up. Depth looks good.

We are now in the Premiership window and should be for a few years yet

Bring on 2024. Go Blues

1 player on an extra 80K for an extra year isn't going to hurt, especially if the difference is a player more likely to make it, over 1 that doesn't

Simple as that
If it didn’t matter at all, I think you’d find more clubs taking the ND picks and running with 37 or 38 on the Senior List.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back