Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

F_gx1GFa8AAfEke

I doubt Motlop ever becomes a mid.

Maybe he could go in their for the odd burst and play higher up the ground at times but not a full time mid. He'd be a mile off fitness wise and it's pretty rare for guys who have never played midfield to become onballers at senior level.

Durdin is the one to look at midfield time IMO, particularly now that he's no longer competing with other makeshift options in the forward line

Well done Austin & Co

E.Hollands
Fantasia
Monaghan
Moir
Wilson
Carroll

all added and didn't cost much at all. Lots of run and pace and excitement in that group

Salary Cap now it a great position to chase players if needed, we have good picks next year to play with plus the Campo twins

A number of players coming off contract that will be fighting for new deals and all our top end talent tied up. Depth looks good.

We are now in the Premiership window and should be for a few years yet

Bring on 2024. Go Blues
My gut feel is that we'll be looking at a free agent key position players next season.

Salary cap should allow it, we should be almost at the top of the "destination club" ladder and we will be cherry ripe to pick someone with runs on the board rather than do the development.

Wouldn't surprise me if we haven't had some discussions with managers of potential targets already.

I'm not claiming all of those players are guaranteed superstars but I don't think anyone is sitting around second guessing the players we picked either. Big step forward.

Motlop and Durdin are as good a chance as any of being in the starting 22 for r1. Motlop would be close to a lock right now. Gets down to form in preseason for Durdin.
Fantasia and Martin walk all over them for forward spots, and Fogarty's form was fantastic for us. I suspect the coaches will want to squeeze Elijah Hollands and Cuningham into the team too for midfield looks, which largely covers the forward rotation group.

Motlop needs to go work on his midfield craft - which they had him doing in the VFL before he got called up due to injury issues - while Durdin was doing similar and got injured. Durdin was horribly worn down and out of form midway through last year and got dropped.

Might be time for you to do a retrospective on our 2023 season?
I doubt Motlop ever becomes a mid.

Maybe he could go in their for the odd burst and play higher up the ground at times but not a full time mid. He'd be a mile off fitness wise and it's pretty rare for guys who have never played midfield to become onballers at senior level.
He played outside mid in the juniors, and was touted as a high half-forward type in scout analysis during his draft year.
Durdin is the one to look at midfield time IMO, particularly now that he's no longer competing with other makeshift options in the forward line
The second they tried him at stoppages he got injured. Just too readily ragdolled, fortunately he's better on the outside in bursts with his running capacity and leap.

Motlop just oozes a skillset that works on the edge of stoppages and pushing forward. His pressure stats are very inconsistent despite being a good read of the play and great tackler.

My gut feel is that we'll be looking at a free agent key position players next season.

Salary cap should allow it, we should be almost at the top of the "destination club" ladder and we will be cherry ripe to pick someone with runs on the board rather than do the development.

Wouldn't surprise me if we haven't had some discussions with managers of potential targets already.
Any idea of who is out there as FA, or pre-FA’s?

I'm not claiming all of those players are guaranteed superstars but I don't think anyone is sitting around second guessing the players we picked either. Big step forward.

Motlop and Durdin are as good a chance as any of being in the starting 22 for r1. Motlop would be close to a lock right now. Gets down to form in preseason for Durdin.

Durdin needs to be training with the mids, he’s a midfielder trying to make it as a small forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If it didn’t matter at all, I think you’d find more clubs taking the ND picks and running with 37 or 38 on the Senior List.

It works well if you have identified a player that will last to a rookie draft, but that might not mean you picking the best kid still available or he will make it compared to say a Delean or Stevens who was still available with our last pick in the ND or any of the kids that were taken in the rookie draft before our pick

Tell me Schoenmaker isn't worth a 2 year punt... probably would have seen enough in that space of time to send S.Durdin off at the end of this year. Our KPD stocks are depressing.
There are quite a few knocks on Schoenmaker. It will be interesting to see how he goes at the Saints. There are reasons he lasted until #62, and reasons the Saints picked 4 players before him.

So, what's the difference? :think:

The difference is that we haven't got easy list openings going forward and that it's possible that our third pick (now Carroll) if he doesn't fire immediately could have been easily deemed surplus in favour of more proven depth going forward.

Now that he's on the rookie list he has more job security rather than less.

Next year's out of contract main list players according to Footy Wire::

Caleb Marchbank
Corey Durdin
David Cuningham
Elijah Hollands
Jack Carroll
Jack Martin
Jordan Boyd
Lachie Fogarty
Matt Cottrell
Matt Owies
Orazio Fantasia

One or two of these may be contracted for longer already so you can remove them.

What I see on this list is a lot of players who possess low trade value but offer too much to simply let go.

Of them at least 3 will go. Take your pick. Personally, at this time I'd suggest Carroll, Fogarty and Fantasia. Could be Marchbank or Cuningham if they get injured again. Let's, however, assume two of the three do enough to retained.

That means you're hunting for that third to go. Two more picks and an upgraded rookie.

Would have put the club into the position where they're forced to do a Lochie again and cut a contracted player. Who easier than a kid drafted in the 50s who hasn't seen an AFL game and may not for another year or more.

Rookie pick always made more sense than giving the guaranteed two years and therefore provides greater job security rather than less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno mate, that cupboard looks pretty bare next year. Which free agent KPP's are you thinking of?

Of them at least 3 will go. Take your pick. Personally, at this time I'd suggest Carroll, Fogarty and Fantasia. Could be Marchbank or Cuningham if they get injured again. Let's, however, assume two of the three do enough to retained.

Orazio has two years so you can scratch him

This year I reckon we struggled to kick easy goals and were too focussed on Curnow/McKay

Next Year pick a forward line from

Charlie
McKay
TDK
Silvagni
Motlop
Martin
Docherty
Fantasia
E.Hollands
Durdin
Fogarty
Owies
Cottrell
Cuningham
Lemmey
O'Keefe

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
You missed one, arguably two Moir and Kemp.

I dunno mate, that cupboard looks pretty bare next year. Which free agent KPP's are you thinking of?
Cam Zurhaar, Todd Marshall maybe.

Could even go down the Tim English or Sean Darcy route.

Would love to get Hugh Mccluggage but that's a different path.

If caleb Marchbank stands up and stays injury free and has the season that he's capable of then probably we have KPD covered with one of Young and Durdin surplus to requirements.

Just stumbled over to the rumors board. If what's been posted about Arie Schoenmaker is true glad we didn't take him, even if we had a late pick. Would explain why he slid.

Don’t post here what was said.

Best left on the Rumours Board.

He’ll fit in well at that Rabble.

Just stumbled over to the rumors board. If what's been posted about Arie Schoenmaker is true glad we didn't take him, even if we had a late pick. Would explain why he slid.
But you're leaving out...

'But BigFooty has a lot of rival club forumites came in and congratulated us. They say he’s a generational talent likened to Sicilly and that no one was bold enough to take him because of the above issues despite his amazing talent. So we did well. Same can be said about Collard.

Collard apparently got issues to like big Go Home Factor, hangs out with the wrong crowd etc.

Toce, SOS and Gubby know what they are doing. Toce especially.'

There are quite a few knocks on Schoenmaker. It will be interesting to see how he goes at the Saints. There are reasons he lasted until #62, and reasons the Saints picked 4 players before him.
I had knocks on him for 35-40, but at pick 57 I was keen. Seems we didn't do enough homework in the WAFL to get in on what Geelong opted to do, either.

Schoenmakers has enough pace, sort of plays like a faster Weitering with less contested ability. Intercept game is solid enough.

I had knocks on him for 35-40, but at pick 57 I was keen. Seems we didn't do enough homework in the WAFL to get in on what Geelong opted to do, either.

Schoenmakers has enough pace, sort of plays like a faster Weitering with less contested ability. Intercept game is solid enough.

Schoenmaker is an undesirable and unprofessional type that IMHO does deserve a chance at AFL level.

Having all the talent and ability in the world is meaningless without being sound of character/having moral fibre.

The fact 16 other clubs passed on several times (despite being projected talent wise as a top 20 pick) speaks volumes.

Let him crash and burn at the Aints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back